All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:52 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5024 thanks
Received: 5057 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
Had a great ride today. RHS, Boo, JJ, DM, SQ, sdmoondogg and yours truly hit LPQ and Tunnels, the thought being it won't be there for long so hit it. We did, taking a cool route from Pro built wheels up powerline down t-5, deer canyon up shoes down rockinghorse up shoes down shits ( i almost endoed off the new jump - precurser of things to come). down little cobbles chasing DM, SQ and RHS. I crashed pretty hard and was a bit stunned. JJ and Boo made sure I was OK and we made our way back to the cars.

DM pulls out a QUICHE that was really amazing. He says he's a chemist, but he cooks like a pro. sdmoondogg whips out some tasy brews.

Went home and on the way noticed a bump on my shoulder. I get home and Megan says, "you look bad, we're going to the hospital. She packs up the clan and off we go.

After a few hours, the verdict comes in: broken collarbone, broken rib, contusion on my ass looks like a softball now. No riding for a while, what a bummer.

Anyways, I had a great time other than the injury. It's weird how the body goes into survival mode, which is the only way I can explain being able to ride back to the cars, drink, eat and then drive home. I knew I hurt myself but had no idea I'd broken 2 bones, which explains why that little hop off the wagon wheel bridge stung a bit.

JJ how did the vid turn out? I'd like to see what it was like to ride. :crying:

-Big Clyde

The following 5 users would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
dirtmonger, moondogg, Phonger, Red Hot Sloth, thrillride
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:55 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 249 thanks
Received: 694 thanks
Bike(s): S-Works 29er Niner Air9 Masi
Favorite Trails: All of them
Man, that sucks. Sorry about the injuries. Hope you are better soon and able to get back out there. Pop in a bike video and relax with a tasty beverage.

Help support the NSW Flyin' Frogs, Phoenix Patriot Foundation and save 10% off your order simply by entering PPF as the discount code at http://www.infinitnutrition.us/. Another 10% will be donated back to PPF.

The following user would like to thank jonathan_sykes81 for his or her post:
Kimba
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:17 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 130 thanks
Received: 127 thanks
Bike(s): 07 El Guapo
Good to hear you all got out to tunnels. I just rode them this evening with a buddy. Bummer about the injuries though. That's pretty gnarly to break a couple bones and hang out for the post ride festivities!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:32 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11836 thanks
Received: 7008 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
Holey Smokes Kimba!!!
Maaan that sucks. Let me know if I can do anything for you and your family while your semi-incapacitated. The ride was great fun. Glad I finally got to meet SDmoondog...thanks for the cold one. Dirt Monger!!!! He pimped this Quiche Lorrainne, maan it was soo good. Thanks DM.
Looking forward to seeing some High Def footage from today JJ The Whale.
Sasquatch hit some jumpage today...very cool. We still on for tomorrow at Calavera?
Another great ride, hope Kimba heals well, hope DM keeps bringing awesome homemade goodies, hope JJ The Whale keeps high-deffin' it, hope Sasquatch rides Calavera tomorrow, hope sdmoondog stays generous with the brewski's, and I hope to do this again real soon, thanks for riding with us today.

The following 2 users would like to thank Red Hot Sloth for his or her post:
dirtmonger, Kimba
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:35 pm 
Darth Monger
Darth Monger

Given: 731 thanks
Received: 641 thanks
Bike(s): Firebird, Stumpy, Glory
Favorite Trails: off limits
Kimba!

Wow, Kimba, and you smiled it out all the way. I was joking to SQ that you probably smiled to the EMTs as they whisked you to the hospital last time. No kidding! I'm terribly sorry to hear that and can only echo RHSs offer to help out. I feel kind of bad that we tempted you to breeze down that trail, but you usually lead the charge down La Costa.

Ironically, I went out and stocked up on armor while you were in the ER. I felt it saved me from a similar fate last time I ate shit on the Shits. I'm sure the impact rig I wore on Tuesday saved me from a similar fate as yours, Kimba, and now I got a more burly one. It was kind of a wake up call for me. Sometimes you just fumble, even on trails you know well and where you know what you need to do.

I hope you heal well and soon. You'll be missed while you're OOA. :wave:

DM

The following 2 users would like to thank dirtmonger for his or her post:
Kimba, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:59 pm 
Darth Monger
Darth Monger

RHS, Boo, SQ, SDmoondogg, JJ, Kimba,

Thanks for the great ride! It was great to hit Tunnels in daylight for a change. It is actually quite convenient to be able to see things (esp. before they hit you). T5 is a differnt experience altogether at night...

Anyway, here's a first for y'all:

Quiche Lorraine recipe

Toast 2 tbsp of caraway seeds in dry hot skillet until slightly darkened, then remove.
Add three strips of bacon sliced into thin julliennes and render until they start to get golden brown.
Add 1 lb of yellow onions sliced (about 1/8 in) to the bacon, add the toasted caraway seeds and sautee until the onions are soft (about 8-10 min, if in doubt go longer: the onions can hardly be too soft).
Add 1 tbsp of fresh (!!!) thyme, 1/8 tbsp of freshly ground nutmeg and a healthy dose of fresh ground black pepper, sea salt to taste.
Takethe hot onion mix from the gas and add 5 oz. of grated cheese. Do not skimp on the cheese! Best cheese is well aged imported (sorry) Swiss Gryere. Mix until the cheese is melted, drawing strings and the whole mixture is an even gooey filling. Add one extra large egg.
I use frozen pie crusts from Henry's (don't like hydrogenated fats). There is not much benefit to making a pie crust from scratch if you get good ones frozen. It's just flour and shortening (like shortbread). Thaw, dock (use a fork and poke holes into the bottom) and bake for 10-15 min at 375 F (350 F convection). The pie crust should not brown but be golden. Let stand for 5 min, then fill with the onion mixture and bake at the same temperature until the quiche filling is golden brown (it will not brown evenly!), which is about 30-40 min tops. Take out of the oven and let it cool for at least 5-10 min before serving.

Served best with a good glass of Chardonnay (you guessed right - a good one, preferably with a nice barrique note) or a good amber colored lager.

Cheers!

DM

The following user would like to thank dirtmonger for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:08 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 56 thanks
Received: 73 thanks
Bike(s): Maverick ML8
Favorite Trails: Fruita/Grand Junction dirt
To all that rode,
Sorry for not making it out as I said I would, not that it stopped anyone from having fun, minus so knarly wreck. I discovered that my newly tubeless front tire chose to stop hold air. And after sweating over the job in the first place (as a side note I found that the whole thing wasn't going to work without compressed air) I took it as a sign and said f#ck it, and I went surfing instead. The surfing on the other hand was epic, Del Mar was kicking and I had one of my best days yet.
Sorry to hear you injuried yourself Kimba, I hope you have a speedy recovery... and some good narcotics.

The following 2 users would like to thank Jimmy Snooka for his or her post:
Kimba, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:20 pm 
Bajacabra
Bajacabra

Given: 7412 thanks
Received: 7175 thanks
Bike(s): Turner 5 Spot
Favorite Trails: SART, Thounder Mtn,Sweetwater
Mike sorry you got hurt I wish you a quick recovery. :wave:

The following user would like to thank bajamtnbkr for his or her post:
Kimba
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:34 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 64 thanks
Bike(s): 29r/69r
Favorite Trails: Unknown
Ummmm......glad your ok but...... I hate to bring this up :beatHorse:
:useless:

JK!

"Pain is nothing compared to what it feels like to quit"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:46 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 491 thanks
Received: 481 thanks
Damn sorry to hear about the carnage, Mikey. Hope you heal quickly. Where on cobbles did you eat it?

I'm most impressed that even after suffering serious broken bones, you still have it in you to do a Treader report. Cheers for that! :cheers:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:11 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 407 thanks
Received: 610 thanks
Favorite Trails: 11111
OMG Kimba, you are tough, I would have never guessed from your revovery that you were that f-'d up. WOOWWWWW. Sorry man, and you rode 6 more miles like that with not even a peep of complaint! Guess you didnt make your gig either eh?
Otherwise was a great ride. Here are some pics and vids. I saved the group vid for vimeo HD hosting, and viddler for the other two.

Shits:
http://vimeo.com/2128158

Direct links :
http://www.viddler.com/explore/jjthewhale/videos/8/
http://www.viddler.com/explore/jjthewhale/videos/7/
http://www.viddler.com/explore/jjthewhale/videos/6/

Attachments:
SDmoondogg.JPG
SDmoondogg.JPG [ 562.14 KiB | Viewed 9578 times ]
Sasquatch.JPG
Sasquatch.JPG [ 570.89 KiB | Viewed 9578 times ]
Red Hot Sloth.JPG
Red Hot Sloth.JPG [ 576.38 KiB | Viewed 9575 times ]
Kimba.JPG
Kimba.JPG [ 580.98 KiB | Viewed 9574 times ]
Dirtmonger.JPG
Dirtmonger.JPG [ 580.78 KiB | Viewed 9571 times ]
Boo.JPG
Boo.JPG [ 579.8 KiB | Viewed 9574 times ]

Last edited by jjthewhale on Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:04 am, edited 4 times in total.

The following 5 users would like to thank jjthewhale for his or her post:
dirtmonger, Kimba, moondogg, Red Hot Sloth, Sasqwatch
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:34 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9470 thanks
Received: 5407 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
sorry to hear you crashed.
glad to hear you're like claire from heroes...

this wreck happened on the shits? or cobbles?

The following user would like to thank Ld00d for his or her post:
Kimba
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:11 am 
Darth Monger
Darth Monger

[quote="jjthewhale"]OMG Kimba, you are tough, I would have never guessed from your revovery that you were that f-'d up. WOOWWWWW. Sorry man, and you rode 6 more miles like that with not even a peep of complaint! Guess you didnt make your gig either eh?
Otherwise was a great ride. Here are some pics and vids. I saved the group vid for vimeo HD hosting, and viddler for the other two.

Nice vids, but I feel cheated out of my video footage! :flame:

DM

The following user would like to thank dirtmonger for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:46 am 
Mrs. RHS
Mrs. RHS

Given: 1279 thanks
Received: 1594 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur / Titus ML1
Favorite Trails: There are so many...
wow Mike! 2 broken bones & you were still in good spirits...
If there is anything Pete & I can do for you please don't hesitate to ask...
I richocheted off a tree going thru tunnels yesterday - my shoulder caught it - bounced me to the tree on the other side - like a ping pong! - landed on the other side in a ditch...yep - you guessed it Mike (just like calavera that sunday) I smacked my bad knee - everytime I had to pedal with that leg pain shot up. I guess I found it humorous at the time I was being a ping pong ball because sasquatch said he heard me giggling... :lol: It hurt but nothing like what your pain was! you rock Mike :bang:

Again - if there is anything we can help you guys with please let us know!

We're not saints, we're not villains. We all make choices and decisions every day that shape our destiny - and in a small way, the world's.

- @HiddenCash

The following 2 users would like to thank Dirty Boo for his or her post:
Kimba, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:52 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5024 thanks
Received: 5057 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
Thanks for the well wishes. JJ nice video and I have to thank you and Boo again for making sure I could move my parts and ride out. Wow today I feel like truck ran over me. The hospital gave me a Vicodin-like drug which is pretty weak. I need the high octane meds! Jimmy S can you hook me up? JK hahaha.

I wrecked on little cobbles just before the tabletop. I recall going off the little jump veryfast then the next thing I remember is Boom! I think my wheels landed in some softstuff and I piled it doing a sideways endo that thumped me from the back of my head, to my left elbow and shoulder then on my ass which is now swolled to the size of a grapefruit. I'm just happy I didn't jack up my left wrist which was my previous boo boo.

Yeah JJ, no gig. The guys understood, plus that means more money for them!

Keep posting yourrides please. I am living vicariously through you all forthe next few weeks. :cheers:

-Big Clyde

The following 3 users would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
Ld00d, OhNooo, Red Hot Sloth