Post subject: DIY Sports drink
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:51 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23303 thanks
Received: 17378 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
I take water in my Camelbak, and also a water bottle of sports drink for long rides / hot days. I've tried several (Accelerade, Cytomax, Gatorade, Clif etc...). Recently ran out of my favorite powdered mix and couldn't find it at a couple LBS's, so thought I'd make my own, rather than pop $20+ bucks on a mix I might not like. There are plenty of internet recipes. Some are more (pseudo)scientific and esoteric than others (just like the commercial ones). I went with something that didn't require anything I didn't already have on hand.

I just mixed up in a regular size bottle:

2 big oranges juiced
1 lemon juiced
cup of tea made with 2 green tea bags
spoonful of sugar
pinch of salt
water to top off bottle

I thought it tasted good (so did a friend who tried it) and it seemed to work as well as anything else for me. I'm going to use this again. I'm sure the super racer nutritionist training freaks will have plenty of reasons their favorite commercial products are superior, but some of you average joes may enjoy trying your own.

The following 2 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Canaan, jkop1
 Post subject: Re: DIY Sports drink
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:05 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 44 thanks
Received: 140 thanks
Bike(s): trek sssn 8, transition dble
Favorite Trails: secret ones. trestles, keyston
make it without caffiene and i think it would be great.

"action is the best response to misfortune"

The following user would like to thank rowdy for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:25 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23303 thanks
Received: 17378 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
The tea is certainly optional. Green tea has less caffeine than regular tea, much less than coffee, and has other health benefits. The most recent research shows moderate caffeine intake beneficial in endurance sports, and the claim that it's a diuretic with negative consequences pretty much debunked, especially since athletes are usually drinking adequate water. I don't like to drink any coffee at all in the morning, like a lot of folks do, so the green tea in the drink isn't adding to it. In fact I'm not sure I really felt any caffeine effect, like I can with coffee or black tea. But I figure a mild mid-ride boost might help my energy level a little. By all means try the mix without the tea, or with other fruit. (btw, I used the regular salt I had on hand, but I read "lite" salt is better because it has more potassium).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:44 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 27 thanks
Received: 265 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Reign X1, Niner AIR 9
Favorite Trails: LC, NC, FOMBA, HP, BHs
I agree with this all the way, its all about the sugar. A lot of pro marathon runners just eat candy like gummy bears to replace muscle glycogen instead of all the BS.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:09 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1419 thanks
Received: 1475 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 951, SC Roadster
Favorite Trails: The ones with dirt on them!
I use organic carrots, apples, bananas, etc.

Go with the Jack Lalanne Power Juicer and make your own....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:12 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
I'm too lazy to mix my own, so I will pass on what I cling to: in the 6 months or so before the Sydney Olympics, one of the USA Rowing Team that lived at the OTC came to work for me in order to earn money in her "other profession" while training for Sydney. They were on strict dietary restrictions, not only for training but for blood testing/substances, and she'd only eat meals prepared from the OTC commissary unless it was the day after a random blood test and she was very sure what the stuff was.

We got to talking about sports drinks and how the OTC people had vetted, tested and worked over what, if anything could give an advantage to Olympic athletes w/o containing something that would trigger a bad test (such as caffeine). Turned out they all used Cytomax.

Cytomax orange was my favorite already, and still is. Sadly, the stuff I get must not be as good, 'cause I'm really slow.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:55 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 27 thanks
Received: 265 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Reign X1, Niner AIR 9
Favorite Trails: LC, NC, FOMBA, HP, BHs
Erik MM wrote:
Evil Chocula wrote:
I agree with this all the way, its all about the sugar. A lot of pro marathon runners just eat candy like gummy bears to replace muscle glycogen instead of all the BS.

Its the protein to sugar ratio that needs to be dialed...that is if we are to believe the 4:1 ratio "according to research...blah, blah..."

The ratio is supposed to be 4 protein:1 sugar? Haven't heard that one; I have heard of the Carb:protein ratio for recovery though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:58 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 394 thanks
Received: 297 thanks
Bike(s): Maverick ML8
Favorite Trails: All of Mt. Laguna
Evil Chocula wrote:
Erik MM wrote:
Evil Chocula wrote:

Its the protein to sugar ratio that needs to be dialed...that is if we are to believe the 4:1 ratio "according to research...blah, blah..."

The ratio is supposed to be 4 protein:1 sugar? Haven't heard that one; I have heard of the Carb:protein ratio for recovery though.

yeah the newest "studies" show that more protein is needed. I did the DIY with an old left-over protein powder and added a pack of electrolytes, very little sugar. Did a 2 1/2 hour ride the other day with 2 small bottles worth - no "extra water" and felt really good through the whole ride and afterward as well... about half the price of a "mixed drink" :cheers: