All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:27 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 4 thanks
Received: 24 thanks
Bike(s): 2009 Trek EX8
Favorite Trails: Calavera & La Costa
thanks guys for the advice. Guess I have some work to do in the garage this weekend.

and yes, I do need to find better lines, since I know I have gotten a bit lazy on my full suspension and just let the bike take the bumps...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:04 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
You can find lots more advice about going tubeless in this Garage sticky thread:
http://dirttreaders.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=814

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:19 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 252 thanks
Bike(s): Chumba XCL, Tassajara
Favorite Trails: La Costa
This thread gave me that last little push to go (back to) tubeless.. I had Stans ZTR wheels already and the bike was once tubeless before I owned it anyway.

Put a UST Kenda Nevegal on the rear and it was super easy. Put new stem in, tire on by hand and floor pump to set the bead. Done. I did later pop one side and add a couple scoops of the stans goo for insurance.

However, the front I got a Shwalbe Hans Dampf 'tubeless ready' (not UST) and it was not so easy. The bead wouldn't get out of the dwell in the center of the rim, no matter how much I twisted and pulled on it by hand. I finally threw a tube in and it took 50psi to get the bead set all around nicely.

Went for a ride with the tubed front and tubeless rear at La Costa and the bike felt GREAT. Maybe just new tires, maybe different tires, whatever, I liked it. The rear especially felt real good with 28psi in it, none of the skipping sideways stuff I used to get. Seemed to just hang on the rocks better.

I will try to convert the Hans Dampf to tubeless in a couple days, Google tells me it's a common issue and a tube is helpful to get the creases out of the tire and get the bead set.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:12 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
PaulChavez wrote:
I will try to convert the Hans Dampf to tubeless in a couple days, Google tells me it's a common issue and a tube is helpful to get the creases out of the tire and get the bead set.

That should help, they can be a pain if the beads are distorted from being folded. You can also use some webbing, rope or a tiedown around the circumference to push the beads in while you air it up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:24 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 722 thanks
Received: 974 thanks
Bike(s): Stumpy FSR/Mary SS
Favorite Trails: Undecided
^^^ Totally, try lots of soapy water first and an air compressor if available. If not, use soapy water and then place a ratcheting tie down around the circumference of the tire and tighten slightly until the bead at least contacts the shoulder of the rim and then pump as fast as humanly possible. That should be enough to seat it.

I had a friend who use to use lighter fluid and a match to re-seat off road truck tires but I'm thinking that may be overkill for MTB :lol: