Post subject: Battery Life
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:13 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23228 thanks
Received: 17283 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
I guess it’s not going to be a problem for me. I’ve got a Shimano 504Wh battery. It’s two rides since I charged it a week ago, about 22 miles and 3000’ climbing, and it’s still showing 3 of 5 bars. I‘ve been riding so far about 20% Eco, 75% Trail, and 5% Boost modes.

Attachments:
CE05E3C2-792C-45BB-8575-B88AFB99F6A8.jpeg
CE05E3C2-792C-45BB-8575-B88AFB99F6A8.jpeg [ 480.18 KiB | Viewed 7073 times ]

The following 2 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Belizean, Ld00d
 Post subject: Re: Battery Life
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:50 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10484 thanks
Received: 7541 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
Nice!

I would charge it after every ride and not let it sit with a partial charge though

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:31 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Dirtrider wrote:
Nice!

I would charge it after every ride and not let it sit with a partial charge though

Yes, I have been doing that, but actually forgot (cuz, you know, whiskey) so when it dropped the first bar five minutes into Sunday’s fairly long ride, I was nervous it might run out way on the backside of Daley, but it didn’t drop the second bar for another two hours.

Afterwards I was thinking a more fun e-MTB for me might have been one of the few new much lighter ones with a smaller motor and battery and half the assist, like the Levo SL. But that might not be enough assist for me, if not now, later.

How much do you use your different assist modes?

Edit: I did some reading up on e-MTB battery charging, and the consensus seems to be it will extend the lifetime if you store it at 60-80%, and don’t charge it up right after a ride. If you think you’ll need 100% for a long ride, then top it off before the ride.

The following user would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Dirtrider
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:46 pm 
Man of Liesure
Man of Liesure

Given: 4060 thanks
Received: 1942 thanks
Bike(s): Stumpjumper 29er
Favorite Trails: Calavera,Chaa Creek Bze
Specialized can be tuned to assist at any ratio you choose via it's App, I use the three modes like a front derailleur :lol: .The main thing for me was decreasing the acceleration to naught, it feels more natural in that setting over technical pedal sections.

The following 2 users would like to thank Belizean for his or her post:
Dirtrider, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:22 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

^^^ I get what you’re saying about using it as a front derailleur, it can be used like that, although that’s not what I’m looking for. Specialized’s Mission Control app is definitely superior to Shimano’s E-Tube app. Spesh lets you tune Support, Peak Power, and Acceleration Response for each of the three modes. That’s way more tuning sophistication than Shimano’s Low, Med, or High for each of the three modes. I would definitely like to be able to dial back the initial support and acceleration in Boost mode to make it smoother and more usable on technical uphills, like you’ve done.

The following 2 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Belizean, Dirtrider
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:19 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 2887 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 4 Life
Favorite Trails: Anything with minimal climbing
Dan, in general, battery life is dependent upon three key factors.
1) Elevation gain. On my 504wH shimano, just over 4K feet is what I could reasonably get regardless of the mileage. Like Vista for example, in only 15 miles, I'm nearing 4K elevation gained and running less than two bars left.
2) Rider weight.
3) Cadence. 85-90rpm is ideal to assist the motor.

On my e8000 with the 504wH. I average 25-27miles (30+ on flatter less gradient trails) or about 4000-4200 ft of total elevation gained.

The following user would like to thank ozzer for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:16 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

ozzer wrote:
1) Elevation gain. On my 504wH shimano, just over 4K feet is what I could reasonably get regardless of the mileage. Like Vista for example, in only 15 miles, I'm nearing 4K elevation gained and running less than two bars left.
2) Rider weight.

On my e8000 with the 504wH. I average 25-27miles (30+ on flatter less gradient trails) or about 4000-4200 ft of total elevation gained.

Do you mean on a typical ride, or total before your battery is dead? If the latter, you must (not surprisingly) ride in Boost mode all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:15 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 2887 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 4 Life
Favorite Trails: Anything with minimal climbing
OldDogDan wrote:
ozzer wrote:
2) Rider weight.

Do you mean on a typical ride, or total before your battery is dead? If the latter, you must (not surprisingly) ride in Boost mode all the time.

Typical ride is a really relative term in e-biking. There are so many factors to account for as I mentioned in my post. For me, based on my riding style (depends on my mood- i.e. pace) I kinda know when I'll be nearing one bar left on my battery. Usually, 25-30 miles or about 4000-4200 ft climbing. Now all that considered, this kind of battery range is based on me just spinning on the climbs using as much low gears as possible and high cadence. Also, I'm not charging on any descents. Just flowing. That's how I've been stretching my battery.

On the flipside, when I feel giddy, I tend to charge the uphills averaging 10-12 MPH, gears only in mid-range, low RPMs and lots of torque. Then on the descent, I also charge full gas everywhere. This kind of ride drains my battery a bit more too. So in comparing both "pace" in a place I have ridden a lot, typically, when I chill, I could get 27-30 miles with 4200ft of climbing at Greer. This morning, my buddy and I kinda went full pull on every long route we could link up and only got 21 miles with just under 3K ft of climbing with just one (more like 3/4) bar left.
It took me a while to figure out my base lines and was always anxious about my battery range. Now I have a good gauge and feel for it and lots of it has to do with how I would ride that particular ride. Also, in certain places like Idyllwild, soft dirt eats up a lot of battery too.

The following user would like to thank ozzer for his or her post:
OldDogDan