All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:42 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7322 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
Back in 2015 I was able to join Schillingsworth on one of his initial runs on the Queen’s Ransom bikepack route. I think it may still have been under its original name the Salty Gila at that point. There were just three of us that year. The route has come a long way since, and was recently published on Bikepacking.com, so it will see a lot more traffic now in addition to the grand depart which I was able to join this past weekend. 25 riders this time around.

The route starts in Queen Creek near Gateway airport and traverses north across Phoenix on canal roads then onto singletrack much of the way through Hawes, Usery, Goldfields, Gold Canyon before picking up the Arizona Trail near Superior and then looping around back to Phx.

Rolling out of casa de Schillingsworth we had a 20-some mile warmup on bike paths and canal roads. The group stuck together for this stretch.

After a quick water and snack break at Desert Trails bike park we were soon on the singletrack at Hawes

And then ducked back into a neighborhood where friends had set up a sag stop for us complete with donuts, bacon, coffee, juice

And peanut butter whiskey. Two things I don’t like, but turned out are great in combination

OK, back to riding

Schilling led us on a slight route deviation on new trail Big Sister, which will soon be incorporated into the route. Fun, flowy trail with some jumps that aren’t really bikepack appropriate

No mylar balloon left behind

Continuing on to Usery Regional Park the nice views continue

Phoenix is that way, in case you’re lost

Cholla forest

A bit of rain and a bit of hike a bike to keep us warm

Camp for the night is on the other side of those mountains

25 riders burning in some lesser used singletrack

Into the Goldfields with some surprisingly nice singletrack. I was positive Schilling had found a nice new route through there, but he said it’s the same route we took in the 2015 edition.

The Superstitions up close

A rare pic of myself by Schillingsworth

Golden hour

Sunset approaching, I was hoping to make it to the grocery store in Apache Junction with daylight

Perfect ending to the day

Made it to dinner/resupply without needing lights. Fueled up, it was 5 miles of pavement and 2 never-ending miles of trail to get to camp.

A fire and tacos were waiting for us, but mostly we just wanted to get to bed and crash out after 75+ miles. Long, but awesome day!

Stats 76.8mi, +5,680/-4,870ft

The following 5 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
Big Clyde, Dirtrider, Ld00d, OldDogDan, Spotter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:44 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Day 2

Queens Ransom camp. Friends had come up the previous day to reserve the spot for us. Even though it’s a remote part of Gold Canyon there were still apparently numerous vehicles that approached wanting the spot. Good thing we got it!

Setting off under grey skies

Gold Canyon not only has awesome trails but a gorgeous backdrop with the Superstition Mtns right behind it

Hannes came all the way from Germany to ride the QR. He also did the Fool’s Loop right before this.

Micro Moab

A bunch of jeep roads led us to the small golf community of Queen Valley. Not much here but a golf course, a club house/restaurant, and some houses. We got food and beer here, ready to head for Superior

It used to be a straight shot to the Arizona Trail TH but poorly behaved shooters and offroaders caused the locals to shut down a portion of Hewitt Station Rd that is on private property. So we now get to do a nice detour up into the hills.

After resupply at the Circle K in Superior we rolled out on the LOST (Legends of Superior Trails) and then dropped into Arnett Canyon

Arnett Canyon is just a couple years old but has already been subject to fire and floods. It has been nicely rebuilt with some impressive rock armoring and is riding well again

Lots of stream crossings this time of year

Picketpost Mtn looms above us as we head toward the AZT

Our German, Hannes, gets the full Arizona experience. He’d already met Cholla cactus earlier, and now crashed on some prickly pear.

Brandon here came from Florida for the ride and is about to enjoy some solid climbing to camp

Saguaros burned in 2020 after flares dropped during a military exercise didn’t ignite until they hit the ground, burning ~100+k acres of gorgeous desert.

Fortunately plenty of saguaros survived, and the brush is coming back.

Golden hour comes early. Hoping to get to camp again without needing lights, I’ve still got a ways to go.

Looking back down the canyon

Made it after sunset and with some stubbornness did not need my lights. Most were already in camp, including a number of backpackers who were hopefully not too annoyed that 25 bikepackers showed up to share their spot : ) No fire, everyone was out cold by 830 or so.

Stats for day 2 – 54mi, +5,470/-3,890ft

The following 6 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
Big Clyde, Dirtrider, GForce, Ld00d, OldDogDan, Spotter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:45 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Day 3

Night 2 camp was at a new rain collector built by the AZT Association a couple years back. This is one of the few spots that could accommodate our group, and the fact there is a reliable water source there is a bonus.

Camp was right at the top of Martinez Canyon, one of the most scenic parts of the AZT. By camping here we'd get to see the canyon in morning light.

Approaching the next saddle above Martinez

Some of the best views not named the Grand Canyon IMO

Brian doing a bit of pushing at this point.

I love that lone cactus growing out of the rock

I took some time to just sit and have a snack and soak it in. With the morning light the views were just incredible.

Around the corner, looking south

Cactus forest as the trail crosses to the west side of the canyon

The crossing back to the east side is guarded by the Two-Thumbs-Up cactus.

His thumbs are getting pretty huge!

I had plenty of water and with the breaks and photo stops hadn’t seen any riders for awhile so I skipped the stop at the Gila River. Eventually caught up to a few before the Gila train bridge.

It’s still an active railway but no trains today

Made it to the A-Dot spigot in Kelvin and had a snack, then kept going. We had a 2-mile climb up the AZT on the south side of the river to the Florence-Kelvin highway. Lots of flowers blooming on this section

The Florence-Kelvin (dirt) highway sucks. 5 miles of this. I walked a bunch of it.

Schilling’s wife came out to provide us a sag stop. Water, sodas, margaritas, chips, donuts, etc etc. Nice break before the final push to camp.

The 2015 crew reunited – Chris, Schilling, Evdog.

12 miles to camp was mostly downhill, and scenic in golden hour

The faster riders were nice enough to have a campfire waiting for us upon arrival

Hannes from Germany had been unaccounted for all day. He camped below us night before, but made it to the rain collector before the last of us left in the morning. He hadn’t been seen since, and ended up making a wrong turn and got behind everyone. He made it to camp 3 though, so all was good. Only one dropout on day 1 which made for an unusually paltry attrition rate for a route like this.

Stats day 3 – 44mi, +5,110/-7110ft

The following 4 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
Big Clyde, Dirtrider, Ld00d, Spotter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:46 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Day 4

Camp 3 was below a formation known as Area 52. It’s a cool rock plateau with lots of slabs and walls. The 2015 route went up it after camping at the same spot. Again we’d camp in the wash below but this time would navigate around it.

A bit chilly. I’d prefer frost to the heavy condensation we had the last time here.

Shitty climb out of camp

Looking back

Brush tunnels above the river (or whats left of it)

Loading up with calories at McDs in Florence. Ice cream was my craving, fortunately the machine was working

After Florence its 20+ miles of canal roads and other flat dirt roads. Some were ok

Others were not very memorable, but needed to make the loop

Getting into San Tan Regional park we’re back on trails and soon pass the Shaka Cactus

Climbing up to the high point

I think we were all ready to be done by this point so we didn’t spend any time hanging around

Final descent

We re-grouped at Desert View Park before pedaling over together to the brewery for final meal

Rolling out as a group

Toast to Schllingsworth for putting together a great route

Stats final day – 56mi, +1,750/-2,000ft

After a few easy miles back to the start we parted ways. I headed over to Gold Canyon to rest up. Ended up taking a full day off.

New shower setup proves its worth. Cool breeze was no match for 100F water!

The following 7 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
avidtest, Big Clyde, Dirtrider, GForce, Ld00d, OldDogDan, Spotter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:40 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10484 thanks
Received: 7541 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
Thanks evdog for another great TR :cheers: :thumbsup:

Mike

The following 2 users would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post: