All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:48 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 722 thanks
Received: 974 thanks
Bike(s): Stumpy FSR/Mary SS
Favorite Trails: Undecided
Having had such a rough first day on NUT, I adequately prepared for the second day - 120oz of liquid, 2 sandwiches, 3 Clif bars, and (2) 2x caffeine gels just in case. I almost took Offroadie's suggestion of wearing 2 chamois, but decided against it at the last minute.

Despite the legs feeling a little flat throughout the ride, I surprisingly had plenty left in the tank when it came time to hit the pavement to get food and beer.

Just a couple pics on the day...

Never far from the river

Welcome to the jungle. Panther section.

One for Baja

El fin

The following 3 users would like to thank Brian for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, evdog, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:04 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7322 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
406 wrote:
Excellent photos guys.
GP_pilot wrote:
While the three stooges retrieved the van

Note that we also swam, had a snack, a couple pints, and drove ~70 miles. :wink:

Yet still arrived at the restaurant to order food just minutes after them. :wave:

And +1 on the excellent photos, great job again to all

mealsonwheels wrote:
I have been fortunate to have traveled extensively for work over the past decade, finding time to hike in whatever city or country I am in. I've also had the means to climb, ride and backpack throughout the western half of the US. That said, and knowing that photos can't adequately capture the beauty and grandeur of the places we travel this looks like some of the prettiest singletrack I've ever seen. I guess I know where I'm headed next summer.

If you like these you also should consider Washington and BC then, the amount of terrain and scenery is even more mind-blowing especially in BC. Of course, I seem to like everything out west.

GP_pilot wrote:
You left out the part that Evdog's Mojo didn't come w/ an anti-cramping feature and he had to eat pickles, which is his favorite food.

Sadly you missed the epic facial expression when I bit into said pickles, my most hated burger ingredient. It did stop the random leg cramps though.

mealsonwheels wrote:
Have to ask a few questions - so you guys ride each segment as a point to point type of "shuttle"? Ride from point A to B and then start the next morning at point B and continue to C?

Also, you guys mentioned running out of water yet nearly all of your pics show running water. I'm just assuming you didn't bring a filter with you? Is there an easy way to stash food on mile 20 of a 40 mile section of trail? From the BLM pdf it looks like much of the trail parallels highway 138?

Also, is this trail comparable to the Deschutes River Trail I've heard a lot about? Better, worse, the same?

There are something like 15 segments on NUT, we divided them into two days and rode each day as a shuttled point to point A to B and B to C, like you said. I think some tour operators mix and match segments a little, but you'd have to ask Moondogg. We camped at Horseshoe Bend which was at the 40mi mark starting from day 1, leaving 30mi for day 2.

I never ran out of water, but then I don't drink as much as the others. On day 1 James and I filled from the weeping wall. From small streams sourced at nearby springs you normally don't need to filter. Some chose not to fill up at all. On day 2 there was a fountain maybe 10mi in. I had a filter in the truck but didn't bring it, though it would be a perfect option. You could drink from larger streams but run the risk of giardia, etc. Since each segment has a road-accessed trailhead you could certainly stash food/drink etc. along the route. You are seldom too far from the road.

No idea about the Deschutes River trail, sorry. But from what I've seen all of Oregon is pretty sweet. NUT and MRT are ranked in the top 10 trails in North America, though, so you really can't go wrong with these. I'm sure there are lesser known gems out there too so don't let this stop you if you haven't heard of something before. Just let us know if its good! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:15 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
evdog wrote:
mealsonwheels wrote:
Have to ask a few questions - so you guys ride each segment as a point to point type of "shuttle"? Ride from point A to B and then start the next morning at point B and continue to C?

Also, you guys mentioned running out of water yet nearly all of your pics show running water. I'm just assuming you didn't bring a filter with you? Is there an easy way to stash food on mile 20 of a 40 mile section of trail? From the BLM pdf it looks like much of the trail parallels highway 138?

Also, is this trail comparable to the Deschutes River Trail I've heard a lot about? Better, worse, the same?

There are something like 15 segments on NUT, we divided them into two days and rode each day as a shuttled point to point A to B and B to C, like you said. I think some tour operators mix and match segments a little, but you'd have to ask Moondogg. We camped at Horseshoe Bend which was at the 40mi mark starting from day 1, leaving 30mi for day 2.

On the Cog Wild tour we camped at Toketee Lake. Day 1: ride from camp on Deer Leap and Jessie Wright segment. Day 2: Marsters, Calf, Panther and Mott segments. Day 3: Dread & Terror and Hot Springs segments with a finish back at camp. We did not ride Lemolo or Tioga segments. The tour company is much more weary of giving the riders more mileage than they can handle and there were some in our group that could barely handle the mileage we rode.

The following user would like to thank moondogg for his or her post:
evdog
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:12 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 173 thanks
Received: 240 thanks
evdog wrote:
If you like these you also should consider Washington and BC then, the amount of terrain and scenery is even more mind-blowing especially in BC. Of course, I seem to like everything out west.

I've hiked around Washington, but I've never had a bike with me. I'll have to make a point to get back up there.

evdog wrote:

I never ran out of water, but then I don't drink as much as the others. On day 1 James and I filled from the weeping wall. From small streams sourced at nearby springs you normally don't need to filter. Some chose not to fill up at all. On day 2 there was a fountain maybe 10mi in. I had a filter in the truck but didn't bring it, though it would be a perfect option. You could drink from larger streams but run the risk of giardia, etc. Since each segment has a road-accessed trailhead you could certainly stash food/drink etc. along the route. You are seldom too far from the road.

No idea about the Deschutes River trail, sorry. But from what I've seen all of Oregon is pretty sweet. NUT and MRT are ranked in the top 10 trails in North America, though, so you really can't go wrong with these. I'm sure there are lesser known gems out there too so don't let this stop you if you haven't heard of something before. Just let us know if its good! :mrgreen:

I think I was confusing Deshcutes River Trail with McKenzie River Trail. From Brian's post it sounds like McKenzie was the highlight of the trip. Thanks for the help.

The following user would like to thank mealsonwheels for his or her post:
evdog
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:17 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 173 thanks
Received: 240 thanks
moondogg wrote:
On the Cog Wild tour we camped at Toketee Lake. Day 1: ride from camp on Deer Leap and Jessie Wright segment. Day 2: Marsters, Calf, Panther and Mott segments. Day 3: Dread & Terror and Hot Springs segments with a finish back at camp. We did not ride Lemolo or Tioga segments. The tour company is much more weary of giving the riders more mileage than they can handle and there were some in our group that could barely handle the mileage we rode.

DId you stay in the Toketee Lake campground the whole time?

Thanks for the help Matt.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:27 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
Yep. And the Cog Wild van shuttled us to trail heads or picked us up.

mealsonwheels wrote:
moondogg wrote:

DId you stay in the Toketee Lake campground the whole time?

Thanks for the help Matt.