All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:09 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 223 thanks
Received: 848 thanks
Bike(s): IH 6.6 & Sunday,Giant XTC
Favorite Trails: Any ST with nice flow.
WOW!!! MTBer's were definitely present at this meeting. It was packed. Standing room only.

Erik & SDMBA Thanks for all you've done,impressive would be an understatement.

1 .Buy a Bear Bell or get one from SDMBA http://www.rei.com/product/721998

Main gripe I heard from equestrian's was they couldn't hear us coming.Bikes are to quiet. Get one & let it jingle the whole ride, we need equestrians on our side, & not fighting each other. Remember we must yield to horses & hikers.

2. Proposed Trails by Erik & SDMBA are great.

No new trails in Tunnels should be cut, also DFG(if I remember correctly) doesn't want us in the fenced area or concrete barrier area.

3. Self govern ourselves, if you see someone doing something not right, we need to explain to them we'll loose I priviledge by the actions they're doing.
There were some people that were against us, & obviously alot of people in attendance for MTB.

We all agree we need a compromise. The area we have is getting smaller & the population around it is getting bigger

I have more ideas, but I'm tired right now.

If you have ideas post away.

Oh yeah for sure going to the next one too.

PS I love Bonita / Chula Vista we have no drama like this here.

The following 4 users would like to thank luna for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, EBasil, FatWhat?, Ld00d
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:27 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 131 thanks
Received: 392 thanks
Bike(s): K2 Zed 4.0
Favorite Trails: San Juan, Caleveras, Nobel
I have an idea. Everytime mtn bikers builds a new trail in they should agree to close one down. I'm guessing environmentalists just don't want our parks to be one crisscross mish mash leaving the coyotes rabbits etc nowhere to raise a family without a maxxis running over their homes. I wasnt there -you guys probably talked about that already and SDMBA probably has policies like that maybe? just some thoughts. maybe we need more logs out there closing down some mtn bike lines.

The following user would like to thank danimal for his or her post:
FatWhat?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:13 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23308 thanks
Received: 17390 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
danimal wrote:
I have an idea. Everytime mtn bikers builds a new trail in they should agree to close one down. I'm guessing environmentalists just don't want our parks to be one crisscross mish mash leaving the coyotes rabbits etc nowhere to raise a family without a maxxis running over their homes. I wasnt there -you guys probably talked about that already and SDMBA probably has policies like that maybe? just some thoughts. maybe we need more logs out there closing down some mtn bike lines.

Yeah, you're right, it is like that. Not exactly a policy, but a reality in this case -- compromise -- close down five, get one is more like it -- but not even one is a given -- legally it can be zero on this property -- it's a preserve, not open space for recreation. I know I've seen and thought it and you probably have too -- wow, a cool new trail! -- next weekend, wow, three new trails -- hmmm, this one's right next to the other, doesn't go anywhere different, and isn't any better -- this can't last. And it can't on property we don't own or control. Anyhow, the meeting was encouraging overall just for the fact that SDMBA really had it together.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:32 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

The main thing here is closure of the area we call Tunnels.

If you saw the map the opposition brought in, it looked like my 4yr old son was given a Yellow marker & draw up all the trails the Tunnel's. It looked almost completely the parcel of land almost looked completely yellow.Every fireroad,ex-migrant trail, dead ends, look out/party area's were taken as areas we MTB.

Erik's/SDMBA map showed the routes we realistically ride. Hopefully we can get the area's we ask for does get approved.

The sensitive areas were the pools on the east end. We have to make sure that area is policed well by ourselves.

IMO we should mark the current trails we have, maybe laminate some signs & stake at the entrance & exit saying "Tunnel #? Stay on designated trail." Maybe an arrow too, for people unaware as to the direction to stay on, on these signs.

Nothing going to happen right now by all involved, but if we start first among ourselves by limiting to just the designated on the current trails proposed trails submitted by Erik/SDMBA will be a good start.

We need to maybe put little rocks on trailheads, showing it's closed if it wasn't on the proposed trail, to show we are not out there cutting new trails & riding where ever we want.

The area we have is smaller & with Intestines gone, I know alot of people who won't ride west of cobbles. The North side trail will bring some relief for sure.

Equestrians, Hikers & MTBers all see more of each other on the trail, reason being our area is smaller on what we have. That is why equestrians,hikers & MTB need to be together on this& not fight against one another. Lets all focus on keeping what little we have open.

So please buy a Bear Bell to please the equestrians& hikers, & also yield to them too. Spread the word on the trail to other MTB as most are not on forums.

Again this is all a compromise.

Change is coming, we need to start with ourselves & spread the word.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:31 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
The map with the most yellow trails on it was produced by us: to show how many trails are out there. Those trails are only trails with actual traffic on them, and we missed 3! The point was to set a context for the next slide you saw us present, the one Mike Maio used to demonstrate how we're asking for the closure of trails that impact sensitive species shown on the City's maps (which are overlayed upon that redlined map by Rob Mikuteit). So, when you see the "redline", it's just a progression from the yellow "all trail" map.

The easiest map on the eyes is the last one we showed, when I spoke. That's the MTC/SDMBA proposal for trails to remain (the redline map is the proposal for trails to close). The Trails Plan map used color and line size/type to denote width and anticipated usage (ie all users or limited) for only those few trails to remain.

There was a Gamble last night: if cyclists were to work with others and propose a compromise trail plan, would that compromise be accepted gratefully by others with an endorsement, or would staunch anti's offer nothing and seek to treat the compromise not as "midde ground" but the basis they expect you to negotiate FROM? The ethical stance was to gamble and assume the best from the old guard.

I think what you saw last night might better be characterized as what you didn't see: none of the old guard, hardcore anti-bike types endorsed the plan even though not a single one of them is now or has been riding those trails on a horse. The plan submitted adds horse trails where there are none, and it eliminated bike trails where there are many. Yes, you heard the same old complaints about "the good old days before you people were on our trails". Here's hoping they choose to endorse the plan, but here's expecting that some will instead seek to adopt it with exclusions aimed right at you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:42 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Another thing regarding the private property owner, is that it is located in the middle of the Tunnels.

So by law you cannot restrict someone from their land, so where would the easement/new street be put in? However long that new easement is, is more space all multi-users lose.

I see the owners name of the private land & it looked like a family member had an adjacent parcel that they sold to Environmental Trust Inc. Who is that? Another private owner or an agency?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:50 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 491 thanks
Received: 481 thanks
Thanks for the efforts of EBasil, Luna, and all others who attended.

Can someone clarify what portion of the Mesa will most likely be off limits and illegal? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:17 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9431 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
sounds like the fireroad is still ok, or am i wrong?

i think cambodia or whatever it's called, where all of the trash is, is still legal.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:16 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

So was the place littered with bear bell noises all weekend. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:03 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Sorry it's a little late, but here are some photos from the meeting. It was standing room only, with people lining the outside wall & standing outside peeking inside the entry door.

Photo's courtesy of Gardner of the SDMBA

The ugly guy in the middle w/ Blue shirt & tie, sitting next to the guy in the orange shirt, is your truely.

So the question was who here present, is a MTBer.

Panoramic crowd pic

The following user would like to thank luna for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:05 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9431 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
someone wore his helmet!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:13 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

There was quite a few people wearing their helmets actually.

In the panoramic photo, the guy talking is a guy guy talking about fires in the area been like 20-30 years since the last one through there.

Anyways he said his speech, & realized everyone was a MTBer pretty much at the meeting, he said he was a MTB too & said we need trails in tunnels too, but not as much as the opposition said we were riding. So we had a guy there, who was not there to speak on behalf of MTB say yes we need a few trails in there & to not close it off, but not too many trails in there.

He was actually a good speaker, & could be an asset to MTB.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:04 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23308 thanks
Received: 17390 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Thanks for the pix. There were about a third or half again as many MTBers than shown, because the whole crowd against the wall where Gardner was standing is cut off...great turnout!

Yeah, the fire guy, clearly unconnected to our group, helped us with his comments. I wish I'd written down the speakers' names....

SDMBA posted a report at
http://sdmba.com/index.php?option=com_c ... &Itemid=19

The following 2 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Ld00d, luna