All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:07 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9431 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
Taken from the SDMBA newsletter. If you're not a member, you should be!

City by city update from Eric Trogden, SDMBA's North County liaison

SDMBA's dedicated liaisons are working for you in the parks and open spaces of San Diego. They are local members of the community and volunteer their time to attend community action committees and city council meetings. They educate land managers and policy makers to keep trails open. They organize trail-work days and maintain good relationships with the rangers. SDMBA liaisons do all this for you. Help them out whenever you can. The world is run by those who show up!

Dear Fellow Mountain Bikers,

Just a brief update here.

Carlsbad:
Strawberry Fields: MTB access officially recommended
The Proposition D Committee completed its work making recommendations for the agricultural properties around Cannon Rd. (Strawberry Fields). The properties are currently privately owned, but once their use as agricultural properties runs out, they will be used for recreational purposes... which can be anything from an amphitheater to hiking paths. Thanks to the mountain bikers who attended these meetings, MTB access is part of the official recommendation. It just took having a few riders show up to some meetings to stake our claim. In fact, in a North County Times article last weekend, bike trails was the first item listed as a possible use for this area!!

Calavera Trail Map
Still waiting for final approval - expect an update in August

Vista:
Nothing new to report

Oceanside:
City of Oceanside knows it needs MTB trails and SDMBA is pushing for a bike skills park
The City of O'side wants to earn "Bicycle Friendly City" status from the League of American Bicyclists. To accomplish this, they need to address trails and MTB access. I'm meeting with City rep's next week to review their proposal. We're pushing for a bicycle skills park in Oceanside which would be a win win. Thanks to those of you who have submitted recommendations for possible sites. If you are interested in working on a committee to promote this topic, please contact me with your interest. We need a dozen riders to start pushing for this in Oceanside... show up to meetings, call city officials, rally support.

San Marcos:
San Marcos Trail Day needs trail leaders for a successful ride
Put Nov 1, 8:30 a.m. on your calendar for San Marcos Trails Day. This is another great opportunity for mountain bikers to show up to an event and demonstrate that we are involved and interested in maintaining trail access. If you are a San Marcos resident, I am recruiting trail leaders for a trail ride that day. Please contact me with your interest.

County:
San Diego Regional Bike Plan needs your input: Take the on line survey below
(excerpt taken from SANDAG website)
"The San Diego Regional Bicycle Plan will encourage the development of a unified bicycle system throughout the region. It will serve the needs of bicycle riders by identifying the best ways to provide connections to local and regional activity centers, transit facilities, and regional trail systems. Currently, the San Diego region has more than 1,000 miles of bikeways – mostly in-street bike paths, but also some separate rights of way."

We need to emphasize our interest in trail access and the integration of trails in a regional bike plan. Please go to the survey and express your interest in trail access as a component of bicycle circulation in the county.

http://www.altaprojects.net/sandag/Publ ... ement.html

As always, see http://www.sdmba.com for more!

Regards,

Erik Trogden
North County Coastal Liaison
SDMBA

The following 2 users would like to thank Ld00d for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, luna
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:13 am 
Bajacabra
Bajacabra

Given: 7412 thanks
Received: 7175 thanks
Bike(s): Turner 5 Spot
Favorite Trails: SART, Thounder Mtn,Sweetwater
Is there any good riding around the San Luis Rey river? When I worked in Oceanside always wondered about that.
A mountain bike park in San Diego, sweet!!

The following user would like to thank bajamtnbkr for his or her post:
luna
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:56 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23308 thanks
Received: 17389 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
I haven't heard anything about this in a while. Here's a couple of links. I signed up a while back to get a newsletter from an involved trails group, but never saw anything...I'll look for it again. It would be good to stay on top of this so we don't miss a chance for more input.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/01 ... _22_05.txt

http://www.co.san-diego.ca.us/reusable_ ... _PRINT.pdf

The following 2 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, luna
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:07 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 223 thanks
Received: 848 thanks
Bike(s): IH 6.6 & Sunday,Giant XTC
Favorite Trails: Any ST with nice flow.
Thanks for the update

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:05 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23308 thanks
Received: 17389 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
I found an updated Master Plan at

http://www.co.san-diego.ca.us/reusable_ ... densed.pdf

Odd that they don't put a date on the cover or last page...anyhow, it's a very ambitious plan. Unfortunately it has "standard" multi-use trails, i.e. an 8' wide dirt sidewalk, as usual equestrian-oriented. It is laughable to call that a trail. But maybe if we can find out when public meetings are, we can even get some of the more-adventurous equestrians to join us in asking for for some interesting and challenging trails.

Edit: Looks like that's the current plan -- see this link http://www.co.san-diego.ca.us/parks/pro ... l#slrdraft

Last edited by OldDogDan on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
luna
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:13 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 223 thanks
Received: 848 thanks
Bike(s): IH 6.6 & Sunday,Giant XTC
Favorite Trails: Any ST with nice flow.
Man I hate when they make the trails so wide.

I am so Thankful where I live in Bonita / Chula Vistathat hikers,joggers,equestrians, & MTB get along, the meetings down here everyone works together.

Again Thanks for the update.