Post subject: SDMBA and North County
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:49 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 39 thanks
Received: 1499 thanks
Bike(s): TallBoy LT, Woodie, MB-2
Favorite Trails: Calavera, 5 min from house
As we've all seen and heard things have changed recently, I and others have created the new Calavera Cyclists Coalition on Facebook, with hopes to join all the various user groups into one voice for North County.

I wasn't totally sure where this was going, but I think it now has one of two directions it can go. One is a regional group that is a group/voice for SDMBA, the other is to incorporate as a non-profit (not preferred). Either way SDMBA is working on creating a presence in North County with or without local support.

Those said, I know there is bad blood/opinion of SDMBA from many North County people that goes back before I moved to Oceanside (Dec 2008). I was hoping someone could brief me on what happened and the background of those issues.

Please PM me with a # so I can call and chat about this.

PS. I really have no political, control, or other aspirations of recognition other than gaining legal trail access.

The following 4 users would like to thank 325racer for his or her post:
Big Clyde, Dirtrider, Inconceivable, J.A.M.
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:07 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10484 thanks
Received: 7541 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
Like many things in life, things change. SDMBA has changed with it's people, agenda, and direction. IMHO it's all for the good and have been great to work with.
Personally, I feel you can't change the past so why waste the time. This group is worth any effort that anyone can put forth. It's for the good of all. :cheers:
Mahalo

PS: Thank you for your effort and trying to move this forward. I certainly hope others will be along side of you :hello:

Mike

The following 2 users would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
Big Clyde, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:03 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 356 thanks
Received: 550 thanks
Bike(s): I like bikes
Favorite Trails: Any
I think all areas should have a core group who take care of their spot.

SDMBA can come in to help them.

The following 3 users would like to thank J.A.M. for his or her post:
Big Clyde, Dirtrider, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:14 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 39 thanks
Received: 1499 thanks
Bike(s): TallBoy LT, Woodie, MB-2
Favorite Trails: Calavera, 5 min from house
Dirtrider wrote:
Like many things in life, things change. SDMBA has changed with it's people, agenda, and direction. IMHO it's all for the good and have been great to work with.
Personally, I feel you can't change the past so why waste the time. This group is worth any effort that anyone can put forth. It's for the good of all. :cheers:
Mahalo

PS: Thank you for your effort and trying to move this forward. I certainly hope others will be along side of you :hello:

Agreed, but things seem to be changing, but to structure things properly it's good to know the history.

Also, one thing I will be bringing up this Saturday and on the various media outlets is that we (North County) need to have designated SDMBA Representatives. While I'm doing a fair bit of work on this now, I know that I'm not able to the Long term, because of work and other commitments. So I would like to find someone that can be an official rep for a number of years.

The following 3 users would like to thank 325racer for his or her post:
bankerboy, Dirtrider, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:01 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
Obviously everybody has their own opinions but I think the consensus was that SDMBA didn't really go to bat in North County in the past, same goes for IMBA when their CEO lived right in Calaveras' backyard. That being said, I've been an SDMBA for many years and don't really have any issues with them. I think they are slowly making progress but in San Diego County, it's like they are trying to go through a 10 foot thick granite wall with a 1/4" chisel and a rock for a hammer. I know I couldn't do their job as I don't have the patience to deal with the politics and being satisfied with "baby steps" of progress.

The following 2 users would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
bankerboy, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:24 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 282 thanks
Received: 490 thanks
Favorite Trails: ???
Thank you for all your efforts to preserve trail access in North County! I'm one of the relatively "new people", so all of issues with SDMBA pre-date me... i.e. I don't really care about that stuff. :D However, I agree that it makes sense for you to know the history, especially if there are certain individuals (on either side) who are still around that had a part to play in any drama.

Unless there is a clear difference in goals, I'm generally in favor of exploring the option of teaming with SDMBA. If they are already planning on having a north county presence, then creating a separate group would probably just create confusion. Much better to present a united front IMO. I'm sure differences will come up, but those can be worked out internally.

The following 2 users would like to thank Inconceivable for his or her post:
bankerboy, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:42 pm 
Urban Yeti
Urban Yeti

Given: 8557 thanks
Received: 11540 thanks
Bike(s): Orbea Wild, SC Chameleon
Favorite Trails: CDF&G land
I vote Matthew for President of Calavera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheers:

avidtest

"it makes mountain biking fun again"

Ozzer

The following 3 users would like to thank Big Clyde for his or her post:
avidtest, bankerboy, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:57 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
If I can offer a little unsolicited advice. Areas that SDMBA represent are areas that have a local advocate who lives in the area. With the exception of two positions in the organization, all board members, liaisons, and lobbyists are volunteers. We do this on our own time and dime.

Give what you can, time-wise, to your cause. Don't worry about the time commitment. We all have lives. Nobody wants or is asking anyone to lay down their lives. It does take local ownership. Be/find the liaison who will partner with SDMBA. They do not have to be part of SDMBA but without local ownership, it is really hard to represent an area. It has to be led/pushed from the folks who ride the area because it is the words of the users that has far more impact on the local bases.

The Bankerboy avatar is reflective of my paid life. I got involved with SDMBA way back in 2006 right after I "discovered" the DMM Tunnel trails. They were closed almost as fast as I mastered the maze of trail. Since I lived here and it was part of my regular ride, it made sense to help. I worked really hard to gain a position on the Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve CAC, probably the worst "job" I have ever had in my life. Battle after battle against a ridiculously lopsided Anti-Bike group was had. But with a lot of assistance from Rod Simmons, Erik Basil, Rob Mikuteit, and a lot of other local folks, we were able to get a foot in the door. In 2010 I moved to the western base of Black Mountain. I am on that CAC too and have been involved in every trail build day on that mountain, but I am just stupid that way. If you can work 1 night a month, it helps.

Each of these areas are represented by an individual who lives in the area. That is what is needed in the Calvara area, YOU!

Mission Trails has 2 different local folks working there (Kirk Riley and Kevin Loomis)
South Bay has Bajabiker (Jose)
Lagunas has Mark
Tri Canyons has Evdog (Evan)
Crestridge has Gardner
Daily Ranch now has Scott
La Costa/Denke Mountain had Rich but he has moved so Dee is stepping up there
PQ is now being led by Mike Jennings
I have Black Mountain and Lusardi canyon

If anyone ever has questions about what a liaison entails, ask me, via PM and I will be happy to discuss it.

Matt

The following 9 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
avidtest, Big Clyde, Dirtrider, Inconceivable, leoffensive, OhNooo, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor, Spotter
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:47 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 265 thanks
Received: 298 thanks
Bike(s): Vitamin C & SixFifty 6500+
Favorite Trails: Cowles(big rock)
bankerboy wrote:
If I can offer a little unsolicited advice. Areas that SDMBA represent are areas that have a local advocate who lives in the area. With the exception of two positions in the organization, all board members, liaisons, and lobbyists are volunteers. We do this on our own time and dime.

Give what you can, time-wise, to your cause. Don't worry about the time commitment. We all have lives. Nobody wants or is asking anyone to lay down their lives. It does take local ownership. Be/find the liaison who will partner with SDMBA. They do not have to be part of SDMBA but without local ownership, it is really hard to represent an area. It has to be led/pushed from the folks who ride the area because it is the words of the users that has far more impact on the local bases.

The Bankerboy avatar is reflective of my paid life. I got involved with SDMBA way back in 2006 right after I "discovered" the DMM Tunnel trails. They were closed almost as fast as I mastered the maze of trail. Since I lived here and it was part of my regular ride, it made sense to help. I worked really hard to gain a position on the Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve CAC, probably the worst "job" I have ever had in my life. Battle after battle against a ridiculously lopsided Anti-Bike group was had. But with a lot of assistance from Rod Simmons, Erik Basil, Rob Mikuteit, and a lot of other local folks, we were able to get a foot in the door. In 2010 I moved to the western base of Black Mountain. I am on that CAC too and have been involved in every trail build day on that mountain, but I am just stupid that way. If you can work 1 night a month, it helps.

Each of these areas are represented by an individual who lives in the area. That is what is needed in the Calvara area, YOU!

Mission Trails has 2 different local folks working there (Kirk Riley and Kevin Loomis)
South Bay has Bajabiker (Jose)
Lagunas has Mark
Tri Canyons has Evdog (Evan)
Crestridge has Gardner
Daily Ranch now has Scott
La Costa/Denke Mountain had Rich but he has moved so Dee is stepping up there
PQ is now being led by Mike Jennings
I have Black Mountain and Lusardi canyon

If anyone ever has questions about what a liaison entails, ask me, via PM and I will be happy to discuss it.

Matt

having just read this i just signed up for trail maint. through sdmba on meetup for work close to my house tomorrow. i saw the name Kirk Riley and figured what the hell do my part. i was gonna ride but if im not dead after doing the work maybe ill still ride

The following 4 users would like to thank leoffensive for his or her post:
bankerboy, Inconceivable, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:57 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 265 thanks
Received: 298 thanks
Bike(s): Vitamin C & SixFifty 6500+
Favorite Trails: Cowles(big rock)
so I met Kirk today. he is working on the rancho misson canyon park. was happy to have the help. cool dude and traded numbers with him if he wanted help in the future aside from the monthly meetups.

that trail we worked was super cool and so close to my house. it is short but awesome. it looks to be built for higher speeds which are above my skill level but i wanna work up to that. im gonna try to make that trail a weekly thing for me or put in rotation with the mesa/big rock trail.

Attachments:
File comment: snapped a photo while i was taking a breather
trail maintenance 05-25-2019.jpg
trail maintenance 05-25-2019.jpg [ 229.85 KiB | Viewed 25792 times ]

The following 7 users would like to thank leoffensive for his or her post:
avidtest, bankerboy, Dirtrider, Inconceivable, J.A.M., OhNooo, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:35 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 142 thanks
Received: 473 thanks
Bike(s): Intense Spider 275
Favorite Trails: Skid Marks - Mammoth
There seems to be an issue between the head of Preserve Calavera, Diane Nygard and Ben Stone from SDMBA. FOr some reason Diane does not like ben at all and refuses to work with SDMBA in regards to any access in CHER.

The following user would like to thank klurejr for his or her post:
Dirtrider
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:08 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Ask yourself what control Diane has at CDFW? NONE! Since they hold the key and the decision for access comes from the state offices, not the field, AND Diane is not an employee of the state, what bill of goods has she sold people?

The threat she sees from SDMBA is the influence trying to be gained at the state level. Since she can't stop that decision, she is scared that there is a chance for a change to the status quo. My guess that is her reason for wanting the Mountain Bike Association out. SDMBA tried to work with her the last time this went through. People are dancing with the enemy. She is anti-access across the board.

The following 5 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
avidtest, Big Clyde, Dirtrider, Garett.McD, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:39 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 142 thanks
Received: 473 thanks
Bike(s): Intense Spider 275
Favorite Trails: Skid Marks - Mammoth
She seems to have some real influence with CDFW. I am of the opinion the stepped up enforcement was directly related to her nagging them in addition to the Sierra club threatening a lawsuit.

The following user would like to thank klurejr for his or her post:
Dirtrider
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:36 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

I have no doubt the stepped up enforcement is because of her and her group. Squeaky wheel will get the grease.

Now that we have mutually agreed to that lets, break this down....

You have a person who wants to preserve the area as a jewel in the area(HA!). She is openly anti-use of any kind and most definitely anti-bike. The last time this came to a head, she swore up and down that she would work with SDMBA. Her poor proposal was for us to develop land that she had no jurisdiction over somewhere up by the 76 that was a complete waste of time. She held no part of her promise the last time.

But here we are again with her again condemning the "bad mountain bikers". Again, folks yelled why isn't anyone doing anything? I would love to tell you that somebody rode in on a white horse and saved the day but that is not what is happening. A few folks stepped up and asked for some assistance in the process. The approach taken was to influence the policy makers at the state level rather than the field officers. Politicians were enlisted, letters were written, and some traction, although small, as been gained. CDFW policy is written to exclude bikes due to their mechanical nature. No civilian or officer, no matter what they tell you, can change it. You need to either get a categorical exception or change the law, period.

Now, you have the very person (Diane) who is anti-bike saying " I will not work with anybody unless SDMBA and Ben goes away". Think about that for a minute. A person with a proven track record of trying to stop access has suddenly changed their tune and will work with you, hand in hand, if and only if the the organization goes away? Really, I mean REALLY???? Of course her reason is "he is mean" or "we just don't mesh, personality-wise". Do you really think she is going to say otherwise? What happens after? She tells the CDFW "its OK, they can have access now"? Again, she does not work for the state and has no legal standing over what they do or do not do anymore than you or I. She is a civilian!

When we were at the Trails and Green-ways Conference at Viejas last month, Diane openly asked us if SDMBA was working with the folks at Calveras. When affirmed, she said, openly, "that scares me". So, why would that be? She has been the biggest bully in the room. She threatens to take her toys and go home. It has worked in the past. Change the game. Make her less relevant. This is about power and she is playing full court press. Take the ball from her and change the game.

You don't have to believe me, you don't have to listen to me. You are grown-ups and fully capable of making your own decisions and forming your own opinions. I know SDMBA does not have a presence or a solid reputation in the north county. But, if Diane and her cronies are your best option, you will never have a chance for access to that property. That path has already proven itself fruitless.

The following 9 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
avidtest, Dirtrider, Garett.McD, J.A.M., Kimba, klurejr, leoffensive, OhNooo, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:20 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 356 thanks
Received: 550 thanks
Bike(s): I like bikes
Favorite Trails: Any
Thanks BB. Well done.

"Open space" is owned by the people. One group does not get to dictate how it is used.

Other user groups can become more influential by being in the field, at meetings, helping and doing the right things.

The following 4 users would like to thank J.A.M. for his or her post:
bankerboy, Dirtrider, Garett.McD, Ray Dolor