All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:03 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
Are there sections of trail, features or items in Los Penasquitos where you think maintenance or repair is merited? In regard to existing trails, we're interested to know your opinion regarding the trail conditions, status of water/erosion control/devices, trail intersections, brush encroachment, etc...

How are the steps at the base of The Shits/Duck Pond? How about those steel posts used to secure them? How are the bridges holding up? Is the section at Mary Anna's Trench still good? Do you see any poison oak near the trail in particular locations? Rain/rut damage from recent storms?

If you have such ideas and feedback, please post them up. If you can supply a photo of the item/issue you've identified, all the better.

Note that there are two things I am not asking for:
--ideas for new trails or "features" that do not exist, today. These just aren't on our table, unfortunately. LPCP isn't gonna be a skills park or gnar-gnar training ground and there won't be any new trails constructed (at least for multiuse access).
--complaints that any and all trail work is "sanitizing".
We're coming into a season where trail maintenance and conditions will be of greater importance. This is simply an opportunity for the local community to have some input to affect the process.

Cheers, and see you out there. :cheers:

The following 6 users would like to thank EBasil for his or her post:
avidtest, bankerboy, Dirtrider, Earache, Ld00d, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:57 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 127 thanks
Received: 472 thanks
Bike(s): stumpy 29er
Favorite Trails: Blowing Springs
there seems to be a lot of wooden and stucco structures on the tops of the ridges bordering the canyon that could be removed, and all the pavement that separates the structures also.

unhelpful comment, sorry, but felt it had to be said.

The following 5 users would like to thank Sasqwatch for his or her post:
Canaan, Dirtrider, EBasil, OldDogDan, rob240z
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:09 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 19 thanks
Bike(s): Cannondale Scalpel
Favorite Trails: Racoon Mountain/TN
EBasil wrote:
Are there sections of trail, features or items in Los Penasquitos where you think maintenance or repair is merited? In regard to existing trails, we're interested to know your opinion regarding the trail conditions, status of water/erosion control/devices, trail intersections, brush encroachment, etc...

How are the steps at the base of The Shits/Duck Pond? How about those steel posts used to secure them? How are the bridges holding up? Is the section at Mary Anna's Trench still good? Do you see any poison oak near the trail in particular locations? Rain/rut damage from recent storms?

If you have such ideas and feedback, please post them up. If you can supply a photo of the item/issue you've identified, all the better.

Note that there are two things I am not asking for:
--ideas for new trails or "features" that do not exist, today. These just aren't on our table, unfortunately. LPCP isn't gonna be a skills park or gnar-gnar training ground and there won't be any new trails constructed (at least for multiuse access).
--complaints that any and all trail work is "sanitizing".
We're coming into a season where trail maintenance and conditions will be of greater importance. This is simply an opportunity for the local community to have some input to affect the process.

Cheers, and see you out there. :cheers:

Thanks for the trail work offer!

Who are you?

Are you doing trail work on the DL or "legally"?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:13 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
Black Cat wrote:

Who are you?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops:

Oh, you were serious???

The following 4 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
b5driver, his highness, Ld00d, rob240z
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:23 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 1511 thanks
Received: 1049 thanks
Bike(s): Pivot 429 - Stumpy FSR
Favorite Trails: Over, Under, Sideways, Down
Rode today in T1, T4, Intuit, Deer Canyon, Rim Trails, Cobbles, etc... didn't see anything of major concern - mind-you I had not seen your post yet and was not thinking in terms of your questions, but, I remember thinking to myself how well the slopes looked considering the rains this week. Tunnels was actually very nice - smooth, tight, and still tacky in the shady sections. No puddles to speak of except the usual ones on the fire road... that obnoxious post was removed at the opening going into the eucalyptus trees - that was cool! I'm sure additional rains will have an effect over the season - especially if we get what they predict...

The following 2 users would like to thank Earache for his or her post:
Ld00d, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:40 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1574 thanks
Received: 1653 thanks
Bike(s): Tracer275, Stumpy WC
Favorite Trails: I like single track
Sasqwatch wrote:
there seems to be a lot of wooden and stucco structures on the tops of the ridges bordering the canyon that could be removed, and all the pavement that separates the structures also.

unhelpful comment, sorry, but felt it had to be said.

True dat! Shit, wait! One of those is mine. You can bulldoze all the rest though. I'll pm you my address.

Black Cat wrote:

Who are you?

Just in case you're serious...

Have a read here and here for an overview.

The following user would like to thank ajdonner for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:27 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10526 thanks
Received: 7547 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
If I remember, there is a off camber left hander coming down T4 and could use some work to reinforce the outside edge. T1 has has and tree/bush at one of the creek crossings that could be dealt with also. Not an easy way around that darn thing. Other than some minor brushing back down there too.

Da Shitz is a bit of a mess and could use some love also

Mike

The following user would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:16 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
"Who the heck are you?" is a fair question, as I'm not online much, anymore. --I am the Chair of the Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve Citizens Advisory Committee, the Chair of the LPCP-CAC Trails Committee and work with outside organizations to organize trail crew work (maintenance only). All legal, no new stuff, just maintenance.

Thanks for the replies! As you roll or run through, do me a favor and use a "how will it handle big water" eye on the trails. The concern I have is that the luxury of the drought has enabled us to enjoy the trails, but that heavy water will rut/wreck particular sections of trails. As we know, the domino effect from that can be a bummer and, as always, trail-user based repairs tend to be better received than major repairs done by "road crews" from Parks & Rec.

Cobblestone is the simple, prime example: the redesign and water controls we installed, beginning in 2003, have worked to preserve the trail in situ, without major rutting or damage. However, the dry years have meant that we've not returned to rebuild the dams (or "jumps" for some fast climbers), de-silt the drain at the hairpin up top, re-set the cross-trail drains, etc... I know there's work up there, but what of the berms/serpentine up on Duck Pond/Shitz, Bridges Trail or the north side singletrack heading out to Sorrento? How's Waimea singletrack?

--The key is to find specific locations we can watch after the first rains, and/or plan out maintenance days in advance. That said, I really don't want to consider work in the Tunnels -- first, they're self-sustaining and second, it still stings to see and know what could have been... nuff said.

The following 4 users would like to thank EBasil for his or her post:
Dirtrider, Ld00d, OhNooo, OldDogDan