It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: SDMBA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:07 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 2887 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 4 Life
Favorite Trails: Anything with minimal climbing
I <3 riding.

The following 5 users would like to thank ozzer for his or her post:
Canaan, Kimba, pgFA, raptorz31, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:13 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 127 thanks
Received: 472 thanks
Bike(s): stumpy 29er
Favorite Trails: Blowing Springs
Another Nascar race on the DT speedway! Awesome. Is it possible that we can be frustrated and pissed of that yet another pile of dirt is not ride able because of a special animal, a greedy horseback rider or some self righteous expert/assclown declares it sensitive area? Will the SDMBA faithful let people be mad without jumping on them to volunteer, do trail work, go to meetings? We are not mad at the SDMBA. It's the absurdity of not being able to ride an area now after decades of being able to. We are mad because this is the first step of a pattern that usually sees houses and Walmarts spring up. We are mad that a place where nature and recreation coexist is being closed unnecessarily. We are upset because we know that this will impact ten other trail networks where these riders will go to replace Calavera. We are mad and having the SDMBA bandwagon run us over while we're down does not make it better.

Please don't defend this character that bent everyone over either. ErikMM knew what he wanted and worked for it, let him reap his reward. If you see him at your local trail, remind him that bikes are bad for the environment and maybe he should go home.

The following user would like to thank Sasqwatch for his or her post:
badkittyjing
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:06 pm 
Dick Face
Dick Face

Given: 43 thanks
Received: 159 thanks
Bike(s): ONE WITH WHEELS
Favorite Trails: where is ricky bobby?
[quote="kevmortensen"]When an admin on a forum openly admits to banning a user based solely on the persons actions outside of the forum - actions that are based on this persons best intentions and beliefs as a person - a contributor to overall society - (not just mountain biking) while others, who have made threats of violence against other forum users, and who talk openly about violent acts towards other trail users are given the nod - than it is no longer an open forum, nor one that I need to participate in.

see you later. :flame: :flame:

The following user would like to thank raptorz31 for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:50 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5022 thanks
Received: 5056 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
I'm kinda wishing I never asked what SDMBA's position was on Calavera now that all this stuff came out. I thought that it was a good time to ask again since the City announced 2 more miles of fencing last saturday and everybody was wondering wtf. No one I knew thought it was part of the 2009 plan; they put up a ton of fencing then. Anyone who has ridden there in the last 2 years knows how many effin fences there are there already. We thought it was a new thing, and Erik was seen there at the meeting.

I'm trying to get public answers on why one guy can have such a huge unilateral impact on a popular riding area and when people question it, they either get publically get yelled at, told to volunteer more, etc, while privately being told something quite different.

All this bullshit about let's work together ignores the perception that at least I have that Erik is doing what he wants and he thinks it's best for all of us. How can we possibly work together when there is the perception of one guy making deals with the city on what should be open and what should be closed in a popular riding area. Perception is reality folks. Especially when there is a knowledge vacuum. He is known to be affiliated with SDMBA, I thought he was the North Coast or Calavera liason, thus the logical question.

The SDMBA people I have spoken to about Erik and Calavera, esp the DFG gpsing thing, who shall remain nameless, all privately say he is gonna get it shut down and shake their heads. We all like that area the best - yes, all of us, you know it. Is he with you guys and do you support his current efforts or not? Just say so or not so we can move on. This is the impasse. If we can get a public statement from SDMBA about Erik at Calavera we at least know where everybody stands. Until that happens, every time this issue comes up, everybody is gonna get all wound up and we look like douchbags fighting on the internet.

We are all reasonable adults, for the most part. Erik is controversial, no question. He is affecting my main riding area in a huge way. Tunnels guys, if you have not been to Calavera, it is akin to the city putting wire fence along each and every tunnel (that they they decide to keep open) to make sure you do not stray from the legal trail. Think about how that looks and feels to ride in.

If SDMBA is not with him, just say so. If SDMBA supports him ,then just say so. Then we will know where to work together to stop the bullshit going down at Calavera.

-Big Clyde

The following 6 users would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
24v, badkittyjing, Canaan, endo, Red Hot Sloth, singletrackmitch
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:20 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1644 thanks
Received: 1322 thanks
Bike(s): Knolly Endo, Canfield Jedi
Favorite Trails: DH Trails
It might have been the way your original post was phrased that caused all the back and forth? I'm not trying to argue, but trying to see this thing from all sides. I think we can all appreciate more open and clear communication, from everyone (SDMBA/DT/whoever...).

I looked it up on the SDMBA website and this is what is shows:
Quote:
Officers:
Gardner Grady - President

Matt Merritt - Vice President

Chris Hatch - Treasurer

Everett Neuman - Secretary

Area Liaisons:
Balboa Park/Morley Field - Open

Black Mountain Open Space - Rod Simmons

California Riding and Hiking Trail (CRHT) - Andy Darragh

California State Parks- open

Crestridge Reserve - Kevin Mortensen

Daley Ranch - Mark Day

Elfin Forest - Matt Merritt

La Costa - Richard Julien

Mission Trails Regional Park - Kim Wiley

Noble Canyon & USFS - Mark Costantino

North County Coastal - Doug Casey

Penasquitos Canyon - Mike McGregor

San Diego County - Tom Moller

San Dieguito River Park - Open

San Marcos/San Elijo hills - Ben Di Eduardo

Sweetwater/Otay - vacant

Sycamore Canyon/Goodan Ranch Open Space Preserves - Gardner Grady

Tecolote Canyon - Evan Sollberger

Ted Williams - Basil Jones

2011 Board Members:
Mark Costantino

Andy Darragh

Gardner Grady

Richard Julien

Mike MacGregor

Matt Merritt

Bill Porter

Jason Showalter

Kim Wiley

Russell Boggs

I don't see ErikMM's name on there, unless his real name isn't Erik. But, he could quite possibly be an SDMBA member. Does anyone know for sure whether he is doing all that GPSing as a representative of SDMBA? Or is he doing this himself and just happens to be an SDMBA member? There's definitely a big difference there and I agree with Kimba, that the people need to know. Not so much to cause a riot one way or the other, but to figure out what CAN be done. Also, who is Doug Casey? It appears he is the North County coastal liaison and may be more abreast of the situation than anyone else.

Otherwise, and I really hate to say this because I know it sounds preachy, but someone might just have to go out and do something themselves, even outside of SDMBA. If one person can have that much impact on those trails... why can't one OTHER person have just as much impact, but have the opposite effect?

The following 3 users would like to thank badkittyjing for his or her post:
Kimba, OldDogDan, Sasqwatch
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:05 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
well said kimba.

Kimba wrote:
The SDMBA people I have spoken to about Erik and Calavera, esp the DFG gpsing thing, who shall remain nameless, all privately say he is gonna get it shut down and shake their heads. .....

If SDMBA is not with him, just say so. If SDMBA supports him ,then just say so. Then we will know where to work together to stop the bullshit going down at Calavera.

yes, as you implied, as did bkj's post, and as i understood rhs's post, he is a sdmba member, but that does not mean his actions are supported by sdmba in this venture.

Red Hot Sloth wrote:
This guy is/was a volunteer for SDMBA. So, the city likes the fact that they have a "mt biker" who's willing to speak for the entire mt bike community and "give" us 1.5 miles of previously on the slate to block off trails.

but if the city does, in fact, want to use him as their mtn biker representative, a letter from sdmba distancing themselves from his actions will make him a less appealing 'representative', wouldn't it. clout-be-gone.

in my earlier posts to this end i took for granted that closing established san diego trails would be antithetical to the mission of sdmba, and that they would not support such actions, especially given the variables presented here.

but kimba is correct, we need to first hear from sdmba what their position is on this issue, and what further information they can share with us before we all go out and buy chain cutters.

The following user would like to thank jSatch for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:49 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
Erik is not an SDMBA liaison and as far as I know he has never been a paying member. He is a volunteer for the City of Carlsbad as their trail captain to Lake Calavera Preserve. It would be my assumption that everything he is doing is approved by the City of Carlsbad and CNLM.

2 miles of additional fencing is absurd after the amount of fencing that is already in place. Where is this fencing proposed to be placed? Is it along trail corridors?

Has anyone tried calling the City of Carlsbad or CNLM for the answers to your questions about the fencing? They are the true decision makers at the preserve.

Contact info: http://www.carlsbadca.gov/services/environmental/hmp/preserves/Pages/lake-calavera.aspx

Can someone can get the straight answers from the owners and managers of the preserve and report back? A strong negative reaction from the Calavera riding community about the fencing with suggestions of alternative management solutions could get them to change their mind.

The document linked below on page 46 and 99 discuss fencing at Lake Calavera Preserve. It mentions installing fencing along the northern, eastern and southern boundaries of the preserve. Perhaps this is where the 2 miles of fencing is being placed.
http://www.carlsbadca.gov/services/environmental/hmp/docs/Documents/preserves-mgmt-plans/city-preserves-pmp-2008.pdf

The following 4 users would like to thank moondogg for his or her post:
Canaan, jSatch, Kimba, Los
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:33 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
While you opened a can of worms here, its one that was bound to spill over eventually and had to be done at some point. Dont sweat it though, IMHO its better to hash it out and hopefully come to some sort of solution that is best for everyone rather than have people continue to keep shit bottled up and becoming an even bigger shit pot 6 months down the road when its too late to do anything about it. Yeah, half the people here want to play the see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil game, but in the end the evil is still there.
The people that dont want to hear it? cool move on and dont read the post. Just keep on <3'ing your riding, but dont come bitching when your special spot bites the dust. Hell, dont bother coming to the corner of the county that Im in where I and others have done all the heavy lifting so that some sweet trails can be had for all to enjoy. (dont really mean that, just making a point that I think its selfish of people to not contribute in the same fashion that it would be selfish of me to keep my backyard a big secret) "INSERT BLUEBERRY JOKE HERE"

The opportunity we have right now is to get the people who give a rats ass together and do something about the situation before its too late.
Forums are wonderful to have when used properly. They are a communication tool that can help bring people together, or they can be a destructive tool that drives people apart. We are all the ones who can decide which route this ones gonna go down.

Look at SDMBA as a handful of people that all give a rats ass about their own riding areas and put their heads together to accomplish shit faster once a month. I will try and get an answer or information regarding Erik as far as SDMBA goes in the next few days but we are busy with the tour de fat coming up on saturday so it might be a bit. I welcome any and all people to swing by the Tour De Fat on saturday if you want to talk about what an individual rider can do to help in cases like these and become part of the solution rather than add to the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:48 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
moondogg wrote:
Erik is not an SDMBA liaison and as far as I know he has never been a paying member. He is a volunteer for the City of Carlsbad as their trail captain to Lake Calavera Preserve. It would be my assumption that everything he is doing is approved by the City of Carlsbad and CNLM.

Any way you can get us an official word that there is no direct correlation between Erik and SDMBA? I imagine an official statement like that would put quite a few people at Ease to hear it and hopefully light a fire under some asses to get involved :flame:
thanks for the links, any of you regulars there want to grab the bull by the horns and make a few phone calls regarding Moondoggs post?

The following 2 users would like to thank Los for his or her post:
Dirtrider, Kimba
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:59 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Los wrote:
moondogg wrote:

Any way you can get us an official word that there is no direct correlation between Erik and SDMBA? I imagine an official statement like that would put quite a few people at Ease to hear it and hopefully light a fire under some asses to get involved :flame:
thanks for the links, any of you regulars there want to grab the bull by the horns and make a few phone calls regarding Moondoggs post?

Carlos, you can take that statement as official. Not sure how much clearer I can get. He is a City of Carlsbad volunteer and all work done at Calavera is done in that capacity and under the guidance of the City of Carlsbad and CNLM.

The following 2 users would like to thank moondogg for his or her post:
Canaan, Los
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:44 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Mike, you asked for SDMBA's official position on "Calavera", so as a Board Member I will offer up my position which I have previously discussed with others in the organization.

Lake Calavera Preserve
(Owned by the City of Carlsbad, managed by Center for Natural Lands Management)

It is important to be in communication with the City of Carlsbad and CNLM and stay aware of the goings on at the Preserve. SDMBA advocates for multi-use trails and singletrack. SDMBA believes in passive management policies. SDMBA does not agree with the overuse of fencing as a "corralling" management technique. SDMBA believes it is important to participate in public comment on the existing and proposed management documents as a way to advocate for mountain bikers best interests.

SDMBA does not currently have an active liaison for Lake Calavera Preserve and hasn't had one for a year and half. The previous liaison suffered an injury that kept him off the bike and required rehab. We have not been able to replace him since then. If anyone of the passionate Calavera riders is interested in the position, you can contact me.

Carlsbad Highlands Ecological Reserve
(Owned and Managed by the Department of Fish & Game)

Any and all communication with DFG regarding Carlsbad Highlands shall be to advocate for the legalization of mountain biking within the Reserve. This has been done at open forums conducted by DFG within the last year. SDMBA believes the best management policy for the Reserve is to legalize mountain biking and create an official trails plan. It is the only way to guarantee access to the land for generations to come. SDMBA is adamant that no discussion regarding proposed trails plans, mapping of plans or sharing of GPS files occur until DFG legalizes mountain biking within the Reserve.

Nothing happening within the City owned Lake Calavera Preserve is happening that has not already been approved within a management document that was open to public comment. Search around the City website and you can find and review these documents. Some are just becoming aware of it, as they see the implementation of these plans on the ground. If you don't agree with it, contact the City of Carlsbad or CNLM as they are the decision makers. Get the facts from the source as to where the 2 miles of fencing is being placed and why. Ask if there are alternative, less intrusive, management techniques available.

In 2009, at the same time SDMBA was working for the inclusion of additional singletrack and making all trails multi-use, Preserve Calavera (the local environmental organization) was advocating for fewer trails be open to all users and even fewer trails open to mountain bikers. Advocacy is a negotiation and I feel we came out on top at Lake Calavera Preserve.

The map below shows the official trails plan as approved. The Serpentine, Monkey Flower and East Loop trails were all added as a result of SDMBA's advocacy. Originally, only the north side lake trails were multi-use. All of the south side trails were hiker only.

I am not here to brag, look for thanks or any of that. I could give a $#!& what you think of me, good or bad. I am here to try and show you what advocacy is and what dealing with government agencies is. It is responding to management plans, attending meetings, negotiating with city employees and countering the attacks of organizations advocating against you. The end result is never ideal, but is better than the "do nothing" approach. To that end, I am proud that I helped get 2.5 miles of trail added to the management plan and I am proud of the people who worked together to get that done.

Last edited by moondogg on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

The following 11 users would like to thank moondogg for his or her post:
badkittyjing, bajamtnbkr, bankerboy, Canaan, Kimba, Los, mtb wannabe, OldDogDan, rob240z, Robo, Sasqwatch
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:39 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Hey Italo, you have experience working with DFG through iMountainBike, right? Would you be able to lend a hand or give advice to whoever wants to be the Calavera Liaison on how to work with/deal with the DFG regarding the piece of land they manage in Calavera?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:08 am 
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE

Given: 2661 thanks
Received: 3679 thanks
Bike(s): Nomad mk2, Giant Glory
Favorite Trails: the ones that go down, duh!
badkittyjing wrote:
Hey Italo, you have experience working with DFG through iMountainBike, right? Would you be able to lend a hand or give advice to whoever wants to be the Calavera Liaison on how to work with/deal with the DFG regarding the piece of land they manage in Calavera?

MTB LOCOS (Jerome and my self's website) actually worked with the DFG directly... iMountainbike only helped us with physical trailwork and supplied a trashcan for the bottom parking area, but he (Harry) was not part of any dealings with DFG at all.
My only advice for the Calaveras situation is as follows;

-someone needs to step up and volunteer to spearhead the situation on behalf of the land users (riders)
-isolate the main land manager, if its DFG, then someone needs to contact him (or her) directly (DFG employee charged with responsibility of this specific land) and initiate contact with them on behalf of the land users. Make sure the land manager understands that you are representing the users that use this land every day.
-get the word out that you are representing the users and request that all users concerned with this specific area step up and offer their support, opinions and whatever else you need.
-make it your highest priority to get the land manager to understand that closing the trails there is a GIANT mistake and that it will only cause more problems down the line.
-offer some sort of trade off for keeping the trails you want, but do not budge on closing of any trails that you really want to stay open.
-make sure that you stay in constant communication with the land users so that you can accurately convey their wishes and desires to the land manager.

I dont want any part of the ErikMM drama going on, but I will say this; I have met Erik personally and worked with him at TW....he seemed legit. I dont really know what he is doing or aiming for at Calaveras, but i also trust Pete and his judgment since it is quite clear he has looked into this issue far more than I have and therefore has more information than I do...in other words, Pete (RHS) is more qualified to make the call on ErikMM's actions at Cala than I am.
One thing we may want to keep in mind is this.....from what Moondog said, there is not anyone currently representing the land users (at least from SDMBA) at Cala....so ErikMM may be doing this with good intentions, just making some massive mistakes along the way....someone definitely needs to reach out to him and tell him that before we crucify his ass. Who knows, maybe he really is the devil and we dont want any part of his work...but at this point, no one else is representing us there, so we really cant shoot too many shots across anyone's bow just yet.

I would love offer to interact with DFG at Calavera, but honestly I am not the right person for this...i dont ride there very often, i dont know the trail system very well and honestly I am too busy to take this upon myself so all i would be doing is misrepresenting the land users in the end. Plus, i just got word from DFG that they want to revisit the TW issue...so I will be focusing my entire efforts there (along with building plenty of illegal trails elsewhere for all of us to enjoy...as a backup plan of course).

The following 5 users would like to thank his highness for his or her post:
badkittyjing, endo, jSatch, Kimba, Los
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:36 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
his highness wrote:
along with enhancing plenty of recently developed trails elsewhere for all of us to enjoy...as a backup plan of course.

goes without saying.

thanks!

The following user would like to thank jSatch for his or her post:
badkittyjing
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:01 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Oops sorry! I got the names mixed up. I meant MTB LOCOS.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next