It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: La Costa Bad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:18 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23310 thanks
Received: 17390 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
I think the problem with the "mitigation" theory is that this land probably has a lot more dollar value than land set aside elsewhere in a mitigation bank. They like to mitigate using something too steep or difficult to build on for other reasons. So the developer "mitigates" with cheaper land elsewhere. I can't see the map photo clearly, but my recollection from a past conversation about this is that the parcel is on the north side of the hill. Which is why they haven't built any "legal" trails on that side, and why the fire road hasn't been replaced with single track. I don't think any "legal" trail would be lost, but having the fire road paved and the north side developed would certainly change the place for the worse. So even if it's posted for sale now, the development would likely have to go through a couple of years of review with public input. So it's not imminent, but we all know which carries more weight, developer dollars or public sentiment.

The following 6 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
avidtest, Dirtrider, J.A.M., jSatch, Kimba, Mudd
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:08 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 6 thanks
Received: 30 thanks
Bike(s): 29er
Favorite Trails: La Costa
Haven't you guys heard of the new rare and endangered species of the La Costa Lizard. It thrives in the region and can only be sustained where local trails are present. Sounds like the trails need to be about 24" wide with long and flowing connections. I'm pretty sure any bulldozing, fire roads or lack of trails will cause it's extinction. Perhaps we should notify the city....

The following 2 users would like to thank Docklobster for his or her post:
Dirtrider, Mudd
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:42 am 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
Docklobster wrote:
Haven't you guys heard of the new rare and endangered species of the La Costa Lizard. It thrives in the region and can only be sustained where local trails are present. Sounds like the trails need to be about 24" wide with long and flowing connections. I'm pretty sure any bulldozing, fire roads or lack of trails will cause it's extinction. Perhaps we should notify the city....

Except then, by city logic, we are the killers of the lizards.

Here is a real life example of their logic.

The blessed fire road on the DMM is riddled with potholes created by the SDG&E trucks that are maintaining the power lines. In the wet season the potholes fill with water. Now you have a class I endangered vernal pool in need of protection. BTW, 95% of the documented vernal pools "naturally" occur of the fire roads. Bet you can't figure that one out.....

Then, people like Frank Landis come out of the woodwork and start fabricating lies how all mountain bikers hate fairy shrimp and are determined to eradicate every single shrimp so mountain bikers can rape and pillage the land as they see fit. After all, 99% of all damage is done by mountain bikers, right Frank?

So, we get the short end of the stick if any unique or endangered species is found. Never mind they are hardy enough to survive and the reason they are endangered is due to loss of habitat under a developer's blade. 100% of the species will be eradicated by mountain bike tires, everybody knows that....

Cohabitation is impossible and you must be banned.

I really like La Costa and hope that a realistic solution is reached.

The following 2 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
Mudd, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:12 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9432 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
what about the burrow beer?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:10 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
DWill wrote:
Mudd wrote:
Yikes! :shock:

Wow, that would be a cool view, plus you could bike right out of the house.
I could build a duplicate of my Canyon Ferry house, but add a work shop for my bikes.

Plus, with 6 acres I could level out a space to fly my RC helicopters. ......

just got these from groupon. my fleet is ready to go. call me.

Attachment:
Helio.jpg
Helio.jpg [ 70.04 KiB | Viewed 6387 times ]

The following user would like to thank jSatch for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:27 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23310 thanks
Received: 17390 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Ld00d wrote:

...?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:33 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5022 thanks
Received: 5056 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
On DMM yesterday the fairy shrimp were jumping. No joke, they were making the water bubble when we rode by the their pothole pools lined by cobbles on the fireroad. In order to protect their habitat we had to get off the fireroad...

Get the biggest toys and real piles of cash to the agencies and it's all good, for the fairy shrimp in the easement road potholes and the gnatcatchers peacefully nesting in the cozy holes under the cool slate roof tiles of tract home McMansions. We got habitat, oh yeah we do. DWill thank you for letting us park for cheap on your ocean view compound as we shuttle Switchbacks and NASCAR over and over. Will you have petrol for sale? There should be a DT discount. DWill I see the light!

The water tank hill to the east now has "Lot 25 Elevation 843" type signs up at the top of the ST there, and the blasting continues in the valley development.

The primary problem as I see it is money. The land here is just too valuable for any trail system west of I-15 to have any realistic long term future. In AZ and UT, etc it is a different situation for the most part.

But it still is a cool place to ride. Just wonder how the encroaching development is going to impact the trails RJ has worked so hard for/on and which we all enjoy. I think we were all kind of thinking it would never change there, but that has not proven to be true.

-Big Clyde

The following 2 users would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
avidtest, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:50 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9432 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
OldDogDan wrote:
Ld00d wrote:

...?

an indigenous species, the burrow beer lodges itself into rock cracks, hollow trees, anywhere it can make its home. the burrow beer has been hunted almost to the point of extinction.

The following 2 users would like to thank Ld00d for his or her post:
Dirtrider, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:08 pm 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

Given: 366 thanks
Received: 764 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Trance
Favorite Trails: Anything with dirt
jSatch wrote:
DWill wrote:
Mudd wrote:
Yikes! :shock:

Wow, that would be a cool view, plus you could bike right out of the house.
I could build a duplicate of my Canyon Ferry house, but add a work shop for my bikes.

Plus, with 6 acres I could level out a space to fly my RC helicopters. ......

just got these from groupon. my fleet is ready to go. call me.

Attachment:
Helio.jpg

LOL…. We get a whole army of those things.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:12 pm 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

Given: 366 thanks
Received: 764 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Trance
Favorite Trails: Anything with dirt
Kimba wrote:
On DMM yesterday the fairy shrimp were jumping. No joke, they were making the water bubble when we rode by the their pothole pools lined by cobbles on the fireroad. In order to protect their habitat we had to get off the fireroad...

Get the biggest toys and real piles of cash to the agencies and it's all good, for the fairy shrimp in the easement road potholes and the gnatcatchers peacefully nesting in the cozy holes under the cool slate roof tiles of tract home McMansions. We got habitat, oh yeah we do. DWill thank you for letting us park for cheap on your ocean view compound as we shuttle Switchbacks and NASCAR over and over. Will you have petrol for sale? There should be a DT discount. DWill I see the light!

The water tank hill to the east now has "Lot 25 Elevation 843" type signs up at the top of the ST there, and the blasting continues in the valley development.

The primary problem as I see it is money. The land here is just too valuable for any trail system west of I-15 to have any realistic long term future. In AZ and UT, etc it is a different situation for the most part.

But it still is a cool place to ride. Just wonder how the encroaching development is going to impact the trails RJ has worked so hard for/on and which we all enjoy. I think we were all kind of thinking it would never change there, but that has not proven to be true.

Site, we could just put some tanks and pumps in. No, excise tax, state fuel tax, state sales tax. That'll drop at least a buck and a half of the cost of a gallon.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:00 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 499 thanks
Received: 1771 thanks
Bike(s): Monocog SS 29er
Favorite Trails: Skinny & dirty
Ld00d wrote:
OldDogDan wrote:
Ld00d wrote:

...?

an indigenous species, the burrow beer lodges itself into rock cracks, hollow trees, anywhere it can make its home. the burrow beer has been hunted almost to the point of extinction.

I understand that the burrow beer lately has been adapting by seeking out places to hide that are shrouded by poison oak. Evolution at its finest.

The following 4 users would like to thank random walk for his or her post:
avidtest, Ld00d, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:02 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 235 thanks
Received: 317 thanks
Bike(s): 29er and Trail Runners
Favorite Trails: Ones with beer at the end
:x

That sucks. I'm actually looking to move back there ASAP and it seems like land managers haven't gotten any better. Wish I could buy the land and turn it into a bike preserve. Anybody friends with Mark Cuban on Facebook? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:45 am 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 4 thanks
Bike(s): 2012 Stumjumper FSR 29
Favorite Trails: LaCosta Preserve
New to Dirt Treaders. Saw the "for sale" sign up there and was forwarded the email from Rich from a fellow rider. I'm concerned with protecting the right to use LaCosta trails.

Anyone know who owns the land at the top? I imagine it has been owned for years as it's always been highlighted on the LC map as "not part of the preserve". Personally I think someone is taking advantage of limited supply and a fairly healthy high-end housing market. $1.9M for land that is going to be extremely difficult to build on (no road, surrounded by protected areas, existing housing below on the hill) is wishful thinking. It's not a developer selling. It's not improved. Makes a lot of sense for CNLM to buy it vs. a private party seeking a 6 acre "compound".

Speaking of endangered animals? Has anyone else noticed the absence of or significantly reduced number of Rattlesnakes out there? (not really complaining). Also, you guys have all seen the asian guy with the golf club walking out there....he noticed there are very few rabbits right now as well. This is springtime and that place should be crawling with rabbits.

Wonder what that has to do with the development down below....

The following 4 users would like to thank Dabunj for his or her post:
Kimba, Ld00d, Mudd, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:08 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1419 thanks
Received: 1475 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 951, SC Roadster
Favorite Trails: The ones with dirt on them!
Dabunj wrote:
Also, you guys have all seen the asian guy with the golf club walking out there....he noticed there are very few rabbits right now as well. This is springtime and that place should be crawling with rabbits.

I saw that guy yesterday.

I'd think that the rattlesnakes (and their prey) would be migrating toward the bottom of NASCAR.

A lot of dynamiting this week near the power lines. The guys in the orange vests were walking around the trails "securing the parameter" as the horn sounded , then booooom, booooom, booooom! To hell with nature preserves!

Attachments:
1013782_10202439700966293_968933808_n.jpg
1013782_10202439700966293_968933808_n.jpg [ 187.81 KiB | Viewed 6229 times ]

The following 2 users would like to thank Mudd for his or her post:
Dirtrider, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:15 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 235 thanks
Received: 317 thanks
Bike(s): 29er and Trail Runners
Favorite Trails: Ones with beer at the end
Mudd wrote:
Dabunj wrote:
Also, you guys have all seen the asian guy with the golf club walking out there....he noticed there are very few rabbits right now as well. This is springtime and that place should be crawling with rabbits.

I saw that guy yesterday.

I'd think that the rattlesnakes (and their prey) would be migrating toward the bottom of NASCAR.

A lot of dynamiting this week near the power lines. The guys in the orange vests were walking around the trails "securing the parameter" as the horn sounded , then booooom, booooom, booooom! To hell with nature preserves!

Holy Crap!

I'm sure screams of one testicled gnat catchers and hippies were heard for miles...
Since I am still on this mistake of a move to CO (coming back by July), where is still kosher for riding in North County. See everyone soon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next