It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:11 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 6 thanks
Received: 8 thanks
Bike(s): A bike.
Favorite Trails: San Juan Trail
Toolio wrote:
needs, wants, desires and priorities of all cyclists who ride in the dirt.

From BMX, to XC, to downhill to cyclocross to every other human powered wheeled vehicle out there?

Here's the big question.

Would you participate in an SDMBA survey that asked you the following questions?

And, if they collected the data (your survey feedback) and truly re-evaluated their mission and further actions/initiatives, would you be happy, surprised and or shocked?

Here's an excerpt from a letter posted to the current SDMBA president.

Hey Rod-

Sorry about the super tardy follow up.

Here it is.

First:

1. I'm a bit shy, so I'm loath to apear in front of a bunch of people at a meeting.

2. Compounding #1 above, the suggestion I made was met with almost overwhelming negativity.
My assesment:

A. Part of that negative reaction, I fear, comes from people who aren't terribly literate/don't read the entire thread carefully/ and/or just like to react negatively to a suggestion for change.

B. Some take it personally that I am questioning whether the SDMBA has been correctly focused and/or living "inside the bubble" during the Gardner "administration" and prior administrations.

Frankly, if results tell the real truth then I do believe he failed as a solid leader of the SDMBA.

He states "As you know I will be stepping down as President in January. It's been a real learning experience. Not everyone thinks highly of my leadership style and/or abilities. And that's probably the problem. I'm the President of the Board of Directors of SDMBA, not the leader."
Are you kidding me?? I want a leader.

My opinion.

Our membership is low.
Our membership is homogenous and NOT diverse in terms of age, riding preferences, gender, etc.
A lot of local folks who ride seriously and are committed to the sport loathe the SDMBA, to put it mildly. Why? We should know.

So, the suggestion I made from the git go stands:

In a perfect world, would we not want to know two things:

1. What does our constituency want us to focus on?
2. What our constituency wamnts us to improve on?
3. What our non non-member(future SDMBA member) thinks?

Couldn't be bad info, right?

So, we can't email a Survey monkey poll because we don't email our people as I understand it.
Or, maybe we could??

[u]The three questions to ask.

What are three things SDMBA does well and should contiunue doing? We love this work that SDMBA is doing!

What are three areas where SDMBA could improve it or increase its efforts now and in the future. Please include a CONSTRUCTIVE solution, too.

Finally, general comments on SDMBA, suggestions, rad ideas, etc. Maybe there's a pearl of wisdom that a16 year old will share with us that none of the "adults would ever have thought of.
[/u]

Post this thread below our forum mission statment and leave it there for 90 days.

Provide a survey template(survey monkey??) that can easily by used by SDMBA.
Make it postable to facebook.

Then, here's the radical part.
Enable and ENCOURAGE outsiders(dirtreaders, downhillers, roadies,racers and chasers, women riders groups, Police Athletic leagues, shop owners, EVERBODY in the cycling world of San Diego to respond/share the survey.
The more data the better.

We, as SDMBA members can spread the word about the survey amongst current non believers or skeptics.
WE have 90 days to convince our skeptical friends that they should take the time to do it

These "outsiders" just night have ideas and feedback that we may not have never considered.
Perhaps we find a few converts. along the way, too!

-Proves that we're "in touch" with the community that rides in the dirt.
-WE learn something. Maybe a few things.

At the end of the 90 day period we compile the results.

And, because we're a transparent, egalitarian, democratically elected organization.......EVERYONE has complete access to the results. Non negotiable.
No secrets, no deletions, no edits. Non negotiable.
Why non negotiable? We all need a clear picture of what the reality is out there.
Scrub any information that would identify a respondent but otherwise show ALL of us the feedback.

Fair request?

Give us the raw feedback to review, consider and perhaps use as catalysts for new ideas , fresh thinking, fresh approaches.

With the next 30-60 days SDMBA anlayzes the data and provides THANKS, clarification where needed, corrected misinformation, celebrates good new ideas, and if appropriate REDIRECT resources to areas where it is clear the SDMBA and the larger dirt riding populations wants/hope for action.

"Balls" are in your court, Rod.

Want to know the answers to those questions? Then simply ask.

Don't want to know the answers to those questions, then simply DON'T ask.

What are three things SDMBA does well and should contiunue doing? We love this work that SDMBA is doing!

1. Build new and repair old XC trail. Nice work at Balboa Park with that bridge thingy.
2. Continue to use "marketing" techniques to elevate the profile and reputation of SDMBA to empower the group to draw more members( 150?? It's a big fucking secret as to how many members there are.) and increase leverage with local power brokers.
Define "us"before somebody else does.
Examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKrIuTn9T3w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Z-bKIQRaA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW2OqFrCTpA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8guw5gOLl0

3. Reach out to riders other than XC riders.
Best way to reach out is to get humble and ask for 360 feedback.

What are three areas where SDMBA could improve it or increase its efforts now and in the future. Please include a CONSTRUCTIVE solution, too.

1. Build more legal XC trail in MTRP on the legal side of 52. There's a ton of land there. Pack it tight with more trails.
2. Build more legal XC trail in/around Florida Canyon(Balboa Park). There's a ton of land there, too. Pack it tight with more trails.
3. Set up a race in concert with Racers and Chasers to benefit Veterans at the Marine Base that wants to shut us out of MTRP/Sycamore no mans land. Curry some favor, for Christ's sake.

And, yes, SDMBA lives in a defensive, insecure, shrill, brittle, hypersensitive bubble/cocoon.
Did I mention hyper sensitive??
It attacks new thinkers, new ideas, new members and drives them away.

What's that saying??? "Adapt or die", I think.

Adaptation is long overdue

The following user would like to thank heavy_pedal for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:33 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
"1. Build more legal XC trail in MTRP on the legal side of 52. There's a ton of land there. Pack it tight with more trails."

You really ought to do a little research before you start (continue?) criticizing. If you'd taken the time to participate in the public comment phase of the new MTRP Master Plan, you'd know that SDMBA is all over this, and if you'd taken the time to attend a CAC or Task Force meeting, you'd know just how resistant the park managers are to increasing the number of trails within the park.

The following user would like to thank Canaan for his or her post:
Los
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:43 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5218 thanks
Received: 1040 thanks
Bike(s): invisible ones
Favorite Trails: Whatever is left...
Toolio wrote:
So, we can't email a Survey monkey poll because we don't email our people as I understand it.
Or, maybe we could??

[]

Well, they certainly seem capable of emailing ME, when it's time to renew my membership.
Which, after following this thread, and thinking about what has been accomplished by SDMBA, I won't be doing anymore.

Fuck it. There's more hope in San Diego for making it a bike-friendly city on the ROADS. They clearly don't want us on the trails, and SDMBA is clearly doing next to nothing in that regard.

The following user would like to thank Ray Dolor for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:32 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 379 thanks
Received: 982 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Anthem 29er
Favorite Trails: flowy single tracks
Feeling the love, feeling the love . . .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:54 am 
Dick Face
Dick Face

Given: 43 thanks
Received: 159 thanks
Bike(s): ONE WITH WHEELS
Favorite Trails: where is ricky bobby?
Here's a little more love.

SDMBA is garbage. :flame:

The following user would like to thank raptorz31 for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:00 am 
Sticker Shock
Sticker Shock

Given: 1635 thanks
Received: 2676 thanks
Bike(s): 5010
Favorite Trails: Unpaved
Ray Dolor wrote:
Fuck it. There's more hope in San Diego for making it a bike-friendly city on the ROADS. They clearly don't want us on the trails, and SDMBA is clearly doing next to nothing in that regard.

Maybe that is an idea. We should choose one day, and try to get as many mountain bikers to do a road ride. Put all of your mtb gear on, jump on your dirty ass mountain bike, and go for a ride on the road.
Get the news involved etc.
Tell them we are protesting the fact that our city is shit for mountain bikers so we wanted to all get out on the road so everyone can really see how many people ride.

It is easy to forget about us when we are out in the middle of nowhere on the trails and can't be seen.

Just Sayin.

The following 7 users would like to thank 24v for his or her post:
abzillah, Canaan, Kimba, KingOfTheHill, OldDogDan, Red Hot Sloth, rodster
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:10 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

That by itself won't change anything, but it may help get the attention of some decision-makers -- set it up, and I'll be there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:31 am 
Sticker Shock
Sticker Shock

Given: 1635 thanks
Received: 2676 thanks
Bike(s): 5010
Favorite Trails: Unpaved
Nothing, by itself, will make an instant change. But any attention we can bring to ourselves can't hurt.

The following 4 users would like to thank 24v for his or her post:
Canaan, KingOfTheHill, Red Hot Sloth, rodster
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:20 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 177 thanks
Received: 402 thanks
Bike(s): Wally World Huffy
Favorite Trails: Mix
Get some of 24V's avatars to be on SDMBA's board and I'll join. Haha!

I'll do a road ride in MTB gear - I already do it when I ride to the trail.

The following user would like to thank KingOfTheHill for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:23 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
Canaan wrote:
That by itself won't change anything, but it may help get the attention of some decision-makers -- set it up, and I'll be there.

+1

The following user would like to thank Los for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:16 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

If you don't like the job that SDMBA is doing and don't want to be a part of it, you should form your own group or work on your own to improve things. I'm not saying that to be a smart-ass, I'm saying that as someone who recognizes there's a lot of work to be done and a lot of different ways to do it.

The following 2 users would like to thank Canaan for his or her post:
abzillah, Los
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:05 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 0 thanks
Favorite Trails: not enduros
Canaan wrote:
If you don't like the job that SDMBA is doing and don't want to be a part of it, you should form your own group or work on your own to improve things. I'm not saying that to be a smart-ass, I'm saying that as someone who recognizes there's a lot of work to be done and a lot of different ways to do it.

True. I see all the SDMBA haters on this site bitch and moan about nothing getting accomplished but what are they doing besides posting pictures with words.
What a bunch of hypocritical bitches.
Go to a city council meeting. Go to a trail work event. Contact a ranger to find out what can be done. Turn off your computer and turn on your brain.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:21 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
imadoosh wrote:
True. I see all the SDMBA haters on this site bitch and moan about nothing getting accomplished but what are they doing besides posting pictures with words.
Go to a city council meeting. Go to a trail work event. Contact a ranger to find out what can be done. Turn off your computer and turn on your brain.

Well, I see you and I have something in common, besides SDMBA membership. Our screen names accurately describe us. This horse is so dead it stinks, and all you can do is come on here with a new screen name to hide behind and try to stir up shit. You're not doing SDMBA any favor, that's for sure.

The following 4 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
abzillah, Canaan, Kimba, Los
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:25 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

imadoosh wrote:
Canaan wrote:

Name-calling is unnecessary. We all want more and better riding opportunities, but disagree about how to best accomplish those things.

The following 2 users would like to thank Canaan for his or her post:
abzillah, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:26 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 0 thanks
Favorite Trails: not enduros
Multiple screen names? For Pete's sake, whatever do you mean?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next