It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Calaveras Trails
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:39 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 356 thanks
Received: 550 thanks
Bike(s): I like bikes
Favorite Trails: Any
I'm on the same list. They ONLY send requests for their DG path maintenance in some park that doesn't matter. We could have made that trail right even with the little amount of rain we had last winter.

The following 5 users would like to thank J.A.M. for his or her post:
Big Clyde, Dirtrider, klurejr, OldDogDan, Spotter
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:27 am 
Urban Yeti
Urban Yeti

Given: 8558 thanks
Received: 11540 thanks
Bike(s): Orbea Wild, SC Chameleon
Favorite Trails: CDF&G land

:cheers:

avidtest

"it makes mountain biking fun again"

Ozzer

The following 5 users would like to thank Big Clyde for his or her post:
325racer, avidtest, Dirtrider, OldDogDan, Spotter
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:36 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 25 thanks
Received: 241 thanks
Bike(s): Pinhoti III, Krampus, R1ot
Favorite Trails: BLT/Noble, Calavera
Damn! Was there at least a CEQA permit posted?

The following user would like to thank socal_jack for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:00 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 39 thanks
Received: 1499 thanks
Bike(s): TallBoy LT, Woodie, MB-2
Favorite Trails: Calavera, 5 min from house
socal_jack wrote:
Damn! Was there at least a CEQA permit posted?

You assume they know what CEQA is and that CEQA pertains to them.....

They got an Education about that and thus the project shut down so quickly.

At Least Carlsbad acknowledged the issues and stopped work.

CDFW on the other hand continues to believe they are above and beyond the rules and anything they do is done in the name of policing against illegal Mtn Bike usage...

The following 3 users would like to thank 325racer for his or her post:
avidtest, OldDogDan, Spotter
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:59 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1564 thanks
Received: 1641 thanks
Bike(s): Tracer275, Stumpy WC
Favorite Trails: I like single track
Familiar with the trail but don’t get out that way very often any more. Anybody have additional pics to share? They do this to the whole trail segment?

What were ‘they’ trying to do?

What’s next on the list?

The following user would like to thank ajdonner for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:08 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

ajdonner wrote:
Familiar with the trail but don’t get out that way very often any more. Anybody have additional pics to share? They do this to the whole trail segment?

What were ‘they’ trying to do?

What’s next on the list?

I'll share another video of the trail in current condition (once I process it)

They did not do the entire trail, but nearly half, the most fun half...

I believe they were trying to get down to address a section in the middle that is heavily rutted and has some pretty deep sink holes.

What's next? Honestly don't know, but at the moment, they seem to have received and understood the message that they need to work with Trail users and do proper environmental impact studies in the future.

We have a Trail Work day Wed June 15th to repair as much as possible.

The following 5 users would like to thank 325racer for his or her post:
ajdonner, Big Clyde, klurejr, OldDogDan, Spotter
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:59 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 21 thanks
Received: 119 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis Ripley V4
Favorite Trails: BLT
I rode it yesterday and agree that they trashed it. Soft dirt and no longer single track in the upper section. I kind of liked the condition it was in as it made it a bit more challenging.

On another note, I got chased by Gardener Gabe yesterday. I was riding up to the pad and looked over and saw his white truck flying down the access road next to the church. Glad he didn't hit anyone. I picked up the pace and looked behind me as soon as I hit the pad and he was just getting to the top. He must have flying the entire time to get there that fast. I just smiled and dropped down the singletrack and never saw him again.

The following 6 users would like to thank pperrelle for his or her post:
avidtest, Big Clyde, Dirtrider, klurejr, OldDogDan, Spotter
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:56 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 142 thanks
Received: 474 thanks
Bike(s): Intense Spider 275
Favorite Trails: Skid Marks - Mammoth
pperrelle wrote:
I rode it yesterday and agree that they trashed it. Soft dirt and no longer single track in the upper section. I kind of liked the condition it was in as it made it a bit more challenging.

On another note, I got chased by Gardener Gabe yesterday. I was riding up to the pad and looked over and saw his white truck flying down the access road next to the church. Glad he didn't hit anyone. I picked up the pace and looked behind me as soon as I hit the pad and he was just getting to the top. He must have flying the entire time to get there that fast. I just smiled and dropped down the singletrack and never saw him again.

Speaking of bad faith actors in CHER.... does anyone have updates on Gabes trail runner buddy who keeps creating erosion paths on all the existing trails? I saw some pics of an interaction with the guy a few weeks ago but heard nothing since.

The following 2 users would like to thank klurejr for his or her post:
OldDogDan, Spotter
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:14 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

I haven't heard anything about him, but there have been quite a few Gabe spottings recently. I haven't been able to go out during the day to see what's up.

The following 3 users would like to thank 325racer for his or her post:
Big Clyde, OldDogDan, Spotter
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:42 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10484 thanks
Received: 7541 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
pperrelle wrote:
On another note, I got chased by Gardener Gabe yesterday.

I wonder why is was trying so hard to catch up to you. What is the purpose of him stopping trail users?
Pretty sure his truck does more damage than my fat azz on a eBike. Just ride em until you can't :cheers:

Mike

The following 4 users would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
Big Clyde, klurejr, OldDogDan, Spotter
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:26 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 21 thanks
Received: 119 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis Ripley V4
Favorite Trails: BLT
Dirtrider wrote:
pperrelle wrote:

I wonder why is was trying so hard to catch up to you. What is the purpose of him stopping trail users?
Pretty sure his truck does more damage than my fat azz on a eBike. Just ride em until you can't :cheers:

Exactly, he probably wanted to catch me in his truck to tell me that I wasn’t allowed to ride my bicycle there. Makes no sense. If he did catch me, this would’ve been the third time that he’s stopped me out there riding. I just play dumb every time and ride away.

I have been stopped once by a ranger and he was actually cool. Pretty much told me that he was not happy to be out there since he had to drive down from Big Bear every day. He just told me where I was supposed to ride and where I couldn’t and asked me to head out of the Preserve. Said that he wasn’t planning on writing any tickets unless the mountain biker had an attitude.

The following 6 users would like to thank pperrelle for his or her post:
avidtest, Big Clyde, Dirtrider, klurejr, OldDogDan, Spotter
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:31 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Dirtrider wrote:
pperrelle wrote:

Yeah, I have never seen him or a ranger any of the times I ride out there. But if I did run into Gabe I would happily inform him of all the horrible erosion he is causing with his truck and his misguided attempts to modify existing trails. ALL of the bad erosion that has happened our there in the last few years is directly related to CDFW scaring away all the trail maintenance crews that were volunteering time to keep the erosion at bay. Now the best Erosion free trails are all south of CHER in Hollybrook/Canterini.

Gabe and crew are making the situation worse in CHER than it has been since 4x4's were allowed to romp around out there.

avidtest, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:19 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

It's all OK, because anything Gabe and CDFW do is directly our fault because they wouldn't have to be out there if we weren't illegally riding and building trails.

The following user would like to thank 325racer for his or her post:
Big Clyde
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:36 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23231 thanks
Received: 17286 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Bill lays down a rant, although I think it’s just a factual editorial. And please, no wanking. Ranting yes.

“Lack of management IS mismanagement” - MTB Bill.

The following 4 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
avidtest, Dirtrider, klurejr, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:10 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Added a comment to the video:

"Thanks Bill, been a fan of your work since I first discovered your website in the early 2000's when I moved to SD. I did not know you had a youtube channel, SUBSCRIBED! In 2008 my wife and I bought our first home and moved from SD up to Oceanside. A big part of the home choice was proximity to this riding area, I can pedal in with only a few min on pavement. I still live in the same house and try to hit these trails once a week in my own little protest of sorts. Just to add to your rant, CDFW is actually doing more harm to CHER than help with all their actions of the last few years. They took what was once a single track and turned it into a fireroad with a tractor of some sort, a few years later and there is now a giant erosion rut down the middle of said road because they REFUSE to do any erosion control. The biggest danger to wildlife in a "preserve" like this is Erosion of natural habitat. If all the habitat washes into the ocean there will be nothing left..... One top of that, much of CHER is littered with farming trash from when parts of the space was used for agriculture. No agency can walk into such a place and declare it an Ecological Reserve and just leave said trash in place. The land is covered is half buried plastic drip lines and old PVC water lines. All that plastic is harmful to the animals that live there and by leaving it in place the CDFW is proving to everyone that enters the property that CDFW has ZERO care for the plants or animals that live there. In your video we could see the overgrown Pampas Grass down in the valley below the water tower, that is an invasive species and would need to be removed to consider the place an ecological reserve. They also drive their 6000lb trucks all over the property leaving deep tire treads. There are tread marks in some sections that date back to over 4 years ago when they drove around after a large rain event. Permanently scaring the land. It really is shameful on their part. The easiest and BEST solution CDFW could do is to grant trail stewardship to the Calavera Trail Coalition, let us go out and establish permanent trails, put up trail markers, create a trail map and help rehabilitate the redundant trails back to nature. CTC would also fix all the major erosion points, places that have gone from small 3inch ruts to giant ruts that can swallow an entire person from head to toe. Allowing CTC to become the stewards we then have the power of riders policing other riders, stop the random building and create some organization. CTC is the best answer, CDFW should never have been put in charge of this precious riding area surrounded on 3 sides by thousands of homes full of outdoor enthusiasts. I don't think I have even run into you on the trails, but maybe someday I will. Keep up the good work!"

avidtest, Dirtrider
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 27  Next