All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:21 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 424 thanks
Bike(s): Commencal Super 4.1
Favorite Trails: Black Rock Oregon
So I worked my butt off this week and was granted an extra day off next week. Im planning to drive to San Jose thursday to meet up with Abz for a day trip to Santa Cruz Friday before I head to Reno. Id like to get in some riding thursday to break up the drive.

Anyways where are some good rides and which route should I take? I imagine the 5 isn't going to have any good riding so I was planning to take the 101, although the slower route. I guess I could always stop in san clemente/san juan trails but Id like to venture to some new trails that I haven't ridden.

Prefer them to be somewhat well known/marked as I don't want to spend most of my time searching for the trail. Something between 15-18 miles and up to 2500ft of gain.

TIA and Merry Christmas Dirttreaders!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:30 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

There seems to be a good trail network in cal poly on trail forks. Anyone ridden there?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:09 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10484 thanks
Received: 7541 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
n10sive wrote:
There seems to be a good trail network in cal poly on trail forks. Anyone ridden there?

It's been a while but it was very fun runing there. Some off the grid trails too.
Don't forget to bring the ebike for the climbs :wink:

Tell Abz to post up some more videos. Always worth watching

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:35 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23228 thanks
Received: 17283 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Check out Montana de Oro State Park near Morro Bay.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:16 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7321 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
Montana de Oro was pretty fun, and probably what I liked best in SLO. Personally though if I were heading that direction I would ride in Santa Barbara - there you have a choice of a number of awesome descents.

If you want a faster drive and more time to ride there is Mt Wilson/Mt Lowe above Pasadena - tons of trail options though that could be an issue if you don't know a good route. Another pretty fun ride that would be easy to pull off is Mt Pinos near Frazier Park. It might have snow by now though.

The following user would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:26 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 181 thanks
Received: 317 thanks
Bike(s): Yeti
Favorite Trails: Anywhere There Is Dirt
If you have time during your drive from San Jose to Reno, the Auburn area is on the way and there is some good riding there. I've been there quite a few times and can give you a fun route if interested, just let me know.

Cheers,
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:50 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Dirtrider wrote:
It's been a while but it was very fun runing there. Some off the grid trails too.
Don't forget to bring the ebike for the climbs :wink:

Ha! Ironically I saw my ortho Friday just to get approved for a knee brace for skiing and told me I should have knee surgery before my arthritis gets worse. Those ebikes are only looking better!

evdog wrote:
Montana de Oro was pretty fun, and probably what I liked best in SLO. Personally though if I were heading that direction I would ride in Santa Barbara - there you have a choice of a number of awesome descents.

If you want a faster drive and more time to ride there is Mt Wilson/Mt Lowe above Pasadena - tons of trail options though that could be an issue if you don't know a good route. Another pretty fun ride that would be easy to pull off is Mt Pinos near Frazier Park. It might have snow by now though.

SLO was looking good on the list but I think from most peoples suggestion santa barbara is where its at. Although I can't do much I think I will try the romero loop trail. Its a good 6 mile climb with a good descent. The San Ysidro trail descent looks fun to access from the top of Romero but getting back to the car logistics looks like a problem.

I've done most of the MT Wilson/Lowe shuttle trails with SCOA but Ill wait to find more trail with a guide :).

AndYeti wrote:
If you have time during your drive from San Jose to Reno, the Auburn area is on the way and there is some good riding there. I've been there quite a few times and can give you a fun route if interested, just let me know.

Sure Andy Ill take some suggestions, Ill pry be driving to Auburn during next week to get some riding in, unless Tahoe is dumped on. I've done most of the confluence area trails, those are always fun.

The following user would like to thank n10sive for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:07 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7321 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
Romero is a good loop for sure and by far the easiest to do if not shuttling. The others all require some road riding at the top and bottom. Definitely bring a bell, helps keep the peace.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:36 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Received: 2887 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 4 Life
Favorite Trails: Anything with minimal climbing
After SB, if you're still game and have some time and en route through SLO, find how to get to the bottom of Face trail. Ride up the fireroad, just few steep sections near the top but you could spin them (we did). Then make sure you've got up to date health insurance and drop in on Face. Also, if you don't want to drive all the way near the coast to ride Montana De Oro in SLO, the hills above Madonna Inn along 101 is a quick jaunt for a quick ride. Fire road climbs suck but the way down is pretty fun above behind the Madonna Inn. VitalMTB had a bike test sessions feature two years ago in SLO. They rode all three spots, Face (best shuttled), Montana and Madonna.

Borderline SLO. Near Montana De Oro
http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/features ... /sspomer,2

There ARE fun and seriously techy trails in SLO. You just need to a local to give you the info.
http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features ... turman,109

The following user would like to thank ozzer for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:50 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

evdog wrote:
Romero is a good loop for sure and by far the easiest to do if not shuttling. The others all require some road riding at the top and bottom. Definitely bring a bell, helps keep the peace.

Thanks for all the info evdog, from what I've read bells are a must on most of those trails. Will be packing one in my bag.

ozzer wrote:
After SB, if you're still game and have some time and en route through SLO, find how to get to the bottom of Face trail. Ride up the fireroad, just few steep sections near the top but you could spin them (we did). Then make sure you've got up to date health insurance and drop in on Face. Also, if you don't want to drive all the way near the coast to ride Montana De Oro in SLO, the hills above Madonna Inn along 101 is a quick jaunt for a quick ride. Fire road climbs suck but the way down is pretty fun above behind the Madonna Inn. VitalMTB had a bike test sessions feature two years ago in SLO. They rode all three spots, Face (best shuttled), Montana and Madonna.

Borderline SLO. Near Montana De Oro
http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/features ... /sspomer,2

There ARE fun and seriously techy trails in SLO. You just need to a local to give you the info.
http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features ... turman,109

HA While I hate riding tech trails by myself because of my prone to crashing I might have to save these trails for a three day weekend. Although if I am not beat from the romero loop i might hit some of the trails behind the madonna inn. They seem to be easily marked from trailforks or mtb project app vs the face trail which I can't find any info on besides videos.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:14 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 181 thanks
Received: 317 thanks
Bike(s): Yeti
Favorite Trails: Anywhere There Is Dirt
Confluence is the area I was referring to, sounds like you are well versed in that area then.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:00 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Well things didn't go as planned with the rain we got before christmas. I hauled my bike up but it rained all day on my drive to reno almost so I cancelled most of my plans to ride on the coast. Ended up doing quite a bit of back country in Tahoe. If anyone needs suggestions on where to go for some easily accessible backcountry let me know.

Torn that tahoe is getting over 7ft of snow so far from this last storm. Most of this riding, tahoe got about 1-2ft. Still had some good powder turns but no knee deep stuff that is being had right now.

Here are some pics.

The following 3 users would like to thank n10sive for his or her post:
Dirtrider, Ld00d, OldDogDan