It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What happened
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:47 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1101 thanks
Received: 1287 thanks
Bike(s): 2015 Norco Sight
Favorite Trails: Ones with no poison oak
Wow, you're lucky in so many ways. If you didn't have your cellphone, if this had happened somewhere other than right at the trailhead (like 4 miles up the canyon), etc.

Were you diagnosed with a concussion? Sure sounds like it - the blacking-out, confusion, dizziness, loss of memory... If so, you should be resting and avoiding anything that would further jar your noodle (like biking or pretty much any sports). Curious to see what your doctor told you. I'm sure you want to get right back on your bike, but man you gotta take care of yourself. Brain injuries are no joke. Give yourself time to heal, listen to your docs.

Also, in case you or anyone else don't know this: your helmet is done for. Don't ever use it again. Once it's been in a crash and shows any signs of crushing or cracking, it's done its job and you should retire it from service. It very likely saved your life, or saved you from a much worse head injury. Put it in a glass case and display it in a place of honor, if that's your thing, but don't use it again.

Now that I think of it, you might want to call the helmet manufacturer. Tell them you were in a crash and your helmet saved your life but is now damaged. They might send you a new one for free.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:35 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 216 thanks
Received: 79 thanks
Bike(s): GT I-drive 5
Favorite Trails: the ones with minimal climbing
Wow! That would be incredible trailside story for years to come. Heal up and hopefully you'll have no lasting injuries.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:05 pm 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

Given: 366 thanks
Received: 764 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Trance
Favorite Trails: Anything with dirt
So far still a big mystery. Today the right side of my face is killing me. So I took the visor off my helmet (Fox Flux) the visor itself is all scratched up on the right side of it.

I pulled it off, under it just like right about where my temple is and going back toward my ear is all smashed flat. So if you can picture this, next would be where my ear is. Then right above and behind where my ear is, is smashed flat. Then there is another big dent around the back side, like where it would be behind my ear but at the base of my skull.

Also looked at my front wheel. Not so good, it kinda rolls like Fred Flintstone wheel if you know what I mean. It's very out of round. I don't know how could have ridden the bike like that.

I took it to the LBS in Ramona to see if Mark can fix it. But I don't know it's pretty bad.

The other thing is I'm buying a much better helmet now. I mean the Flux is a great helmet and I'm thankful it did it's job or would have been much worse.

But no more lite trail helmets I don't care how dorky I might look or how hot it is I'm buying a better helmet.

But I can tell you whatever I hit I hit hard and without the Flux it would have been much, much worse.

As soon as I get a chance and find a way to do it I'm going to run the track from my iPhone. Stupid question but does anyone know if Google earth has a "player" built in to it.

I can get a KML file out of my phone and open it in GE. I can't find a way to get a GPX file out of motion x.

The following user would like to thank DWill for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:39 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1101 thanks
Received: 1287 thanks
Bike(s): 2015 Norco Sight
Favorite Trails: Ones with no poison oak
DWill wrote:
... does anyone know if Google earth has a "player" built in to it.

I can get a KML file out of my phone and open it in GE. I can't find a way to get a GPX file out of motion x.

I don't know about a "player" per se, where you can see an icon or marker following your track. But GE does have a "touring" mode, where it takes you on a point-of-view tour of your track. Once you have your KML file loaded, select the track in the "Places" pane (if the KML file shows up as a folder, expand it and select just the track). Then at the bottom of the "Places" pane you'll see a "track" icon and if you hover your mouse over it you'll see a tooltip that says "Play tour". Click on it and off you go. You can go into Tools->Options and select the Touring tab, where you can adjust the Camera Tilt Angle, Range and Speed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:56 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 420 thanks
Received: 898 thanks
Bike(s): 2011 Turner 5 Spot
Favorite Trails: The ones you didn't help with.
SO are they taking your license away?
If you have a ca drivers license, and you black out -and have to go to the hospital, protocol is that your driving privilege gets revoked. Been thru it-it sucks

Last edited by kevmortensen on Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:30 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 499 thanks
Received: 1771 thanks
Bike(s): Monocog SS 29er
Favorite Trails: Skinny & dirty
Once you get the file loaded in GE, go to the left hand pane and expand the "Tracks" folder under your Place, right click on your Path and select "Show Elevation Profile." Hopefully in the chart that pops up at the bottom of the main window, you'll get both an elevation graph and a speed graph. As you move your mouse cursor over the graphs, a red arrow will point on the map above where that is on your path. Look for spots on the speed graph that are 0 mph.

Hope you feel better.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:01 pm 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

kevmortensen wrote:
If you have a ca drivers license, and you black out -and have to go to the hospital, protocol is that your driving privilege gets revoked. Been thru it-it sucks

Another good reason to not be a CA resident.

I'm not a resident here which as someone else pointed out may have saved me from having my car impounded as well.

So I don't have a CA DL.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:06 pm 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

random walk wrote:
Once you get the file loaded in GE, go to the left hand pane and expand the "Tracks" folder under your Place, right click on your Path and select "Show Elevation Profile." Hopefully in the chart that pops up at the bottom of the main window, you'll get both an elevation graph and a speed graph. As you move your mouse cursor over the graphs, a red arrow will point on the map above where that is on your path. Look for spots on the speed graph that are 0 mph.

Hope you feel better.

Thank you, I'll try that as soon as I get the chance.

If I can figure it out I'll post it up here. Not that it'll do anyone any good; but it's entertaining anyway. Even I have to chuckle a little when I look at the GPS track.

I must have rode around that "island thing" at the mast trail head at least 50-60 times. How I even road my back with the front wheel in the shape it's in is amazing.

If I'd of thought I would have shot a video of it before I dropped it off today.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:42 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 235 thanks
Received: 457 thanks
Favorite Trails: .
kevmortensen wrote:

Pretty sure that's only for unexplained (maybe this would count?) loss of consciousness or from potentially recurring things - if you have visible signs that you got knocked silly from a crash I don't think it counts.

Been through it once myself, but in my case doc trusted me not to drive so didn't report to DMV; just said don't drive till we figure out what happened. Just turned out I was just riding sick / with a cold and kept pushing to keep up till I fainted / passed out. So yes, you can literally ride till you drop lol.

Scary stuff DWill, hope you heal up quick!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:33 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
lets see some pics of the helmet!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:27 pm 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

Los wrote:
lets see some pics of the helmet!

I tried to take some but you reall can't see much in the pics.
The side of it is like flat spotted with some smaller dented in spots.
It didn't completely break apart. But theres a like a huge amount of little micro fractures in the outer shell.

On thing I've learned today is that there are better alternatives to these "trail riding" helmets a lot of use. Don't get me wrong, I really like my Fox Flux and it did a great job. Without it and likely even with a lessor helmet the out come of that crash would have been a lot worse.

I gotta say after this it's going to be really hard to keep my mouth shut when I see someone out riding without a helmet.

Just plain idiocy to do that I think.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:50 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 377 thanks
Received: 188 thanks
Bike(s): Kona Unit
Favorite Trails: The ones with hills
What a crazy story! Glad your somewhat okay able to share your story with us. Heal well! I ride with the same helmet and that's the reason why I bought it cause of the skull coverage. Other than it looks bad a$$. :cheers:

kevmortensen wrote:

WOW, never heard of this protocol! How long do they pull you license for?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:01 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
DWill wrote:
All I remember is hauling ass down Spring thinking wow this is a sweet ride.

Yeah -- this should prove to all you haters that Spring is no joke . . . .

Kidding of course; I'm glad you're okay.

I crashed hard at Hollenbeck last year when riding by myself on a wet and miserable day. I did a one-point landing on a boulder and broke my helmet all the way through from one vent to another. Luckily I didn't sustain a concussion like you -- it would have been very, very bad if I had because there was no cell service and no one to help me.

After that, when I'm riding alone my rule is "climb hard and descend easy."

The following 2 users would like to thank Canaan for his or her post:
Los, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:11 pm 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

Thanks for the well wishes. Feeling much better today; head ache is still there but much less than yesterday.

Still have no memory of any of though. I'm up in Mammoth now but won't be skiing, don't want take any chance on hitting my head for a couple weeks.

Still haven't had a chance to run the other GPS file.

Tomorrow I'll talk to Mark at Bike Works in Ramona and see if my wheel is repairable. If not I guess I'll finally be getting a new set of wheels for the Trance.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:12 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 614 thanks
Received: 1848 thanks
Bike(s): SX Trail, Carbine 275
Favorite Trails: PQ, ATT
Now I want a Fox Flux Helmet too. I am using a Lazer helmet right now, been on two OTB with my Helmet but don't see any Major damage other than a scratch. I know I ride slow but still.

Glad you are doing ok.

My Favorite Trail is unknown to many, everybody here loves it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next