Post subject: Watch out for the Bees!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:24 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 10 thanks
Received: 29 thanks
Bike(s): Fisher HT
Favorite Trails: Sycamore Cyn
Well, I'm not really down, just need a couple days off while my hand and arm get back to normal size. I was riding west of Goodan Ranch with my buds looking for a way in and out of the caynon from the Costco off Scripps Poway Pkway. We were riding through the abandoned development south of Beeler Rd when my friend pointed out a big swarm of bees around a water meter cover. Not a second later I was stung on my forearm. Real aggresive bees - I bet they are Africanized. Anyway, I rode away from the swarm and scraped off the stinger with a credit card, but by that time it was done pumping venom into me. Now I have been stung on the forearm a couple times in the last five or so years and had just a little bit of swelling, but last year I stepped on a bee barefoot and my foot swelled up a lot. Sure enough, by the next morning my hand, forearm and part of my upper arm had swollen up quite a bit. I wasn't having trouble breathing, and didn't have any swelling away from the sting area, so I wasn't in anaphylactic shock, but I decided to head to urgent care anyway. Well a UC visit and prescriptions for Prednisone and a couple Epi pens set me back $90 with my insurance, so that was a pricey little sting. So one of the epi pens goes in my hydro pack as there is a slight chance my body might be more sensitized to bee venom.

So bee careful out there. Bees killed a couple horses up in Temecula a couple weks ago and and a guy was killed in Encinitas last month too.

Ron in SD

The following 3 users would like to thank Roller62 for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, Canaan, rob240z
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:36 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 88 thanks
Received: 327 thanks
Bike(s): Yelli Screamy - Demo 8
Favorite Trails: anything with dirt
since i'm also allergic, i'm always on the lookout. there is always a bunch of swarms in sycamore in the summer. everytime we see them, we just sit still and they'll fly over you. i had one go into my helmet by the vent. didn't know i could undo the snap while going downhill. yeah, i preferred to crash then get stung. :oops:

anyways, this is how we get in and out of sycamore through costco in poway.
the easiest way is in 'red'

Attachments:
poway costco.jpg
poway costco.jpg [ 123.3 KiB | Viewed 9244 times ]

The following 2 users would like to thank mrgiant for his or her post:
Mpmffitz, Roller62
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:00 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 518 thanks
Received: 1358 thanks
Bike(s): 6 of 'em
Favorite Trails: I don't ride dirt
Yesterday riding Sweetwater I stopped to wait on Bryan on the trails just up from the hut. While I was sitting there the buzzing noise was amazing. I never did see any bees but they were there somewhere and it sounded like a lot of them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:28 pm 
Bajacabra
Bajacabra

Given: 7412 thanks
Received: 7175 thanks
Bike(s): Turner 5 Spot
Favorite Trails: SART, Thounder Mtn,Sweetwater
You riding Sweetwater? :shock: :shock: :shock:

EMFC wrote:
Yesterday riding Sweetwater I stopped to wait on Bryan on the trails just up from the hut.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:31 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 518 thanks
Received: 1358 thanks
Bike(s): 6 of 'em
Favorite Trails: I don't ride dirt
bajamtnbkr wrote:

EMFC wrote:
Yesterday riding Sweetwater I stopped to wait on Bryan on the trails just up from the hut.

it happens :ninja:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:50 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 10 thanks
Received: 29 thanks
Bike(s): Fisher HT
Favorite Trails: Sycamore Cyn
mrgiant wrote:
since i'm also allergic, i'm always on the lookout. there is always a bunch of swarms in sycamore in the summer. everytime we see them, we just sit still and they'll fly over you. i had one go into my helmet by the vent. didn't know i could undo the snap while going downhill. yeah, i preferred to crash then get stung. :oops:

anyways, this is how we get in and out of sycamore through costco in poway.
the easiest way is in 'red'

Yep - that's the way we went - I got stung right by the 2 mile mark on your track

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:38 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 218 thanks
Received: 165 thanks
Bike(s): Rocky Mountain Altitude 29er
Favorite Trails: tour de noble; hurkey creek
There's a sign on the entrance to one of the spur trails from the neighborhood to Noble Canyon "Beware of Africanized Honey Bees." YIPES!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:55 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23310 thanks
Received: 17390 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
A few months ago a friend and I watched a large swarm over the dam at Calavera for a while, then decided to ride very slowly through them. No problem. I was prepared to bail into the lake if necessary. We stopped above to look back and see what the swarm did, and saw a mom and her two kids going thru, with the kids shrieking. If I want to risk my hide, it's one thing, but I'd never take my kids near a swarm. Anyhow, kids were okay, and the swarm later flew away. The recent article about the man killed in Encinitas said 70-80% of bees in SD County are Africanized. I didn't think the percentage was anywhere near that high! Having read that, I will henceforth give all bee swarms a wide berth and recommend the same. Gotta be a bad way to die.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:12 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 235 thanks
Received: 457 thanks
Favorite Trails: .
OldDogDan wrote:
A few months ago a friend and I watched a large swarm over the dam at Calavera for a while, then decided to ride very slowly through them. No problem. I was prepared to bail into the lake if necessary. We stopped above to look back and see what the swarm did, and saw a mom and her two kids going thru, with the kids shrieking. If I want to risk my hide, it's one thing, but I'd never take my kids near a swarm. Anyhow, kids were okay, and the swarm later flew away. The recent article about the man killed in Encinitas said 70-80% of bees in SD County are Africanized. I didn't think the percentage was anywhere near that high! Having read that, I will henceforth give all bee swarms a wide berth and recommend the same. Gotta be a bad way to die.

Was being an i-tard while hiking in Oak Oasis over the weekend, got to one meadow section and started hearing buzzing over the music. Took off headphones and the whole meadow was practically vibrating with bee noise. No swarm, just 11 billion bees munching on flowers. The looked happy enough on the flowers, so I just kept walking through them trying to not do anything that might piss off a bee.

Not sure if it's true but I recall reading that some smell/chemical release when a bee stings will trigger other bees in the area to sting as well, "Honey bee stings release pheromones that prompt other nearby bees to attack" if really true I may in the future be more relucatnt to walk through a field with THAT MANY bees flying around - all it takes would be bumping into some bee's lunch and all of a sudden they ALL hate you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:23 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 126 thanks
Received: 223 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis Mojo SL (650b)
Favorite Trails: Thunder Mountain, MRT
Dogs and bees can smell fear.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:37 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 101 thanks
Received: 562 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz NomadC & V10c
Favorite Trails: Your mom's happy-trail!
Bees... F*ck Bees! I'll punch each and every bee in the FACE!

The following 2 users would like to thank McLovin for his or her post:
Canaan, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:54 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
Me and a buddy pissed off some hornets (or wasps dunno) over on the steel bridge side of sweetwater. I got stung 6 times and he had 5. Our third friend (the one that knocked the rock loose into the bushes to piss them off) said he had never seen me move so fast in his life. When I went flying by him I had one on my forehead holding on for dear life. While riding back I told him karma was going to kick him in the nuts for laughing at us. After standing around the trucks for half an hour BS'ing he forgot to load his bike up and backed over it :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:26 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
Here's a helpful video regarding what to do if your riding partner is stung by a bee.

The following 2 users would like to thank Canaan for his or her post:
OldDogDan, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:59 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 16 thanks
Received: 52 thanks
Bike(s): Intense Tracer
Favorite Trails: dirty & rocky
bajamtnbkr wrote:

EMFC wrote:

I was riding it last week and a damn bee stung me in the forehead (slipped between the vent on the helmet). That hurt like mofo!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:00 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 16 thanks
Received: 52 thanks
Bike(s): Intense Tracer
Favorite Trails: dirty & rocky
Los wrote:
After standing around the trucks for half an hour BS'ing he forgot to load his bike up and backed over it :lol:

Damn! :lol: