All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Little Late to Share
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:45 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 30 thanks
Received: 126 thanks
Bike(s): 08 Cervelo R3 00 Homegrown
So a couple weeks ago I ended up having a pretty gnarly accident at work. We just got done working on one of our helicopters. We were pushing a piece of equipment back towards the hangar, things got a little squirrelly and I ended up caught between the equipment and a cement barrier (freeway center dividers). I saw my window getting smaller for my legs and in the process of jumping out of the way my left ankle got smash between the barrier and equipment. I heard a pop and instant pain. I hobbled back into the hangar, put away my tools, started an accident report then headed to the clinic.

Once at the clinic I was shuffled around to 3 different counters till I finally ended up in the right area. Couple x-rays later I found myself on crutches with a fractured medial maleolous (the little bump of you ankle). I was quickly sent to ortho and more radiation. While at ortho they noticed I had also broken the lateral maleolous as well. They put me in a short leg cast, gave me some pain meds and sent me on my way with a follow up in 4wks.

Fast forward 4wks and I went in for my follow up. New set of X-rays showed the medial bone was slightly displaced and wasn't healing correctly. So they scheduled me for an ORIF of my medial maleolous. Pretty much they sliced me open and place 2 screws into the bone to close the gap. I must say it hurt like hell the first week after.

Now I'm here 3 weeks post op, one week of conv leave left, and a cam walker (soft cast). I still have at least 4 more weeks of no weight bearing. I haven't been on a bike since the first week of Dec. But with any luck I'll be back in the saddle on my brand new 29er mid March. I wish I had a cool riding related story to tell. But this was a first for me, injuring myself at work as opposed to doing on the bike.

The following user would like to thank gest24 for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:07 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Heal up! That sounds painful. But how cool to have a brand new bike waiting for you!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:14 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 10 thanks
Received: 56 thanks
Bike(s): Glory
Favorite Trails: Noble, ATT,Downhill
Dont rush it its going to take time. Also broke my medial and lateral malleolus but riding MOTO and had what sounds like similar procedure metal plates with screws put in guess thats how they fix it. Took me a while before I was able to put weight on it but once I got cleared I was so happy to hop back on the bike! You'll come back with thirst and hunger to hit the trails again I wish you a speedy recovery.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:28 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 2 thanks
Received: 0 thanks
Bike(s): Trek Fuel FX 9.0
Favorite Trails: Mission trails, Nobel cyn
Too bad about the ankle.

Are you using crutches or are you using a scooter (non-motorized)? I ask because I recently was 12 weeks non weight bearing and the scooter was awesome versus crutches!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:49 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 30 thanks
Received: 126 thanks
Bike(s): 08 Cervelo R3 00 Homegrown
Chunjin wrote:
Too bad about the ankle.

Are you using crutches or are you using a scooter (non-motorized)? I ask because I recently was 12 weeks non weight bearing and the scooter was awesome versus crutches!

I had found a scooter on Craigslist 3 days after my procedure. So my first trip out of the house was to pic it up. It was also awesome of my Doc to hook me up with a temp disabled placard.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:57 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 2 thanks
Received: 0 thanks
Bike(s): Trek Fuel FX 9.0
Favorite Trails: Mission trails, Nobel cyn
Sounds like you are set up! I was going to offer to let you borrow mine because I still have it.

Good luck and heal fast!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:02 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 990 thanks
Received: 102 thanks
Bike(s): BMC Trailfox 1.0
Favorite Trails: so far any
Ahh the memories. Somewhat similar story, but the calcaneus/heel. Ditto on the don't rush it. My 1st time around I did and ya, it took longer. Take care of it. Hopefully it wont become arthritic, needing 2ed surgery 20 yrs later.
Good luck with the healing process and get back riding soon, dude.