It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:37 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 168 thanks
Received: 306 thanks
Bike(s): Gary Fisher Tassajara
I don't think riding style has a lot to do with it. Only length of time you're on the bike. There is a limited absorption rate of calories while exercising. A good rule of thumb is 300 calories an hour (this varies from person to person).

Compare to calories burned:

http://www.nutristrategy.com/fitness/cycling.htm

You'll notice that you'll most likely burn more than 300 calories an hour.

Point 1) It is impossible replace all calories burned during cycling while cycling.
Attempting to do so will just cause you "issues."

Point 2) Since it is a limited absorption rate, if you are not maximizing the amount of calories you're absorbing by intaking at a regular rate, you will not be able to "catch-up." A corollary is that if you intake 600 calories in hour 1, about 300 of it could be wasted if it passes through your GI system unabsorbed. It is better to break it up in 300 in hour 1, and 300 in hour 2.

Examples:
Gel packets (GU) are usually 100 calories. Have 2-3 with 20-24 oz of water every hour.
Hammer Perpetuem and similar drinks are designed to give you 250-350 calories in a solution that is easy for the body to absorb in the recommended mixtures. I've done 6+ hour rides using only Perpetuem.
Read the wrapper of your Clif Bar and you'll know how many of them you need to eat in an hour.
Electrolyte drinks like "G" and Hammer HEED are usually around 100 calories. They are not enough by themselves for long rides.

The following user would like to thank OffRoadie for his or her post:
katonk
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:14 pm 
DT Martyr
DT Martyr

Given: 344 thanks
Received: 194 thanks
Bike(s): It's blue.
Favorite Trails: The ones with dirt.
What if (like me) you're a fat ass and want to maximize the number of calories you burn. Obviously you can't just ride for hours on end and not eat anything. I presume there's a tipping point somewhere...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:38 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2184 thanks
Received: 1791 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt
Short rides (2 to 4 hours): 70 to 100oz water, 1 Clif Bar, 2 Clif Shots, and on hot days a bag of the luscious Bloks.

Long rides (4 to 8 hours): 100oz water, 20oz. Gatorade, double the above food plus sandwich (turkey/cheese if cool temps, peanut butter if it's hot), 2 to 3 tangerines, banana and an apple. Post-ride: the biggest burrito combo or double bacon cheese burger available!

I agree, too many bars and shots for the long stuff creates stomach issues. I find the regular food is a must to keep feeling good. I tried mixing some of the powder stuff in my Camelbak years ago, but I was too lazy after a big ride to rinse it out - and the nasty mold that developed wasn't something I ever wanted to deal with again.

The following 2 users would like to thank Robo for his or her post:
Brian, Kimba
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:13 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
GP_pilot wrote:
moondogg wrote:
Water, PB&J's, cliff bars, jelly beans and beef jerky = carbs, simple sugars and proteins that taste good.

Read your package of beef jerky again. I used to eat it on rides, then found out it basically has no carbs and that I could get more protein from a bar. I get tired of bars all day, so I'm looking for something to replace it now.

GP....thanks for the heads up on the beef jerky. I had assumed meat=protein. However, like you, I am looking for more than just bars. I can handle about one a ride. Hence the regular food of PB&J, jelly beans and beef jerky. It got me through the Archipelago ride last spring and that is the most I have ever ridden x2.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:56 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 518 thanks
Received: 1358 thanks
Bike(s): 6 of 'em
Favorite Trails: I don't ride dirt
GP_pilot wrote:
I. I'm still formulating my nutrition for rides more than 5 hours. When three of us crossed the San Gabes back in Dec, we started with a monster breakfast of eggs and pancakes (protein & carbs for the morning). Then it was an hour drive before we hit the trail (digest). Throughout the ride, I forced myself to eat and drink. My energy felt good all day, but I believe I was also helped on the way the terrain was laid out. 11 hours later, we crossed the San Gabes after 50 miles. .

Damn when we doing this ride?

The following user would like to thank EMFC for his or her post:
Kimba
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:43 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 223 thanks
Received: 848 thanks
Bike(s): IH 6.6 & Sunday,Giant XTC
Favorite Trails: Any ST with nice flow.
I'm religious about eating every hour no matter how long the ride is, I'm one of those peeps who gets crazy hunger headaches, so I always munch on a nutri-grain bar/gel every hour.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:59 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 722 thanks
Received: 974 thanks
Bike(s): Stumpy FSR/Mary SS
Favorite Trails: Undecided
Nutrition programs are like assholes, you know the rest. And unfortunately, involve a lot of trial and error. I think I have my routine pretty dialed in because when I stray from it, I end up bonking.

1-2 hour hammerfest
no meals w/in 3 hours
1 Cliff bar 1 hour prior
20 oz Gatorade during
20-30 oz water during
Power Gel (w/ caffeine) as needed
1/2 bottle of chocolate milk for recovery
beer after

4+ hour endurance ride
begin hydrating day before (2 days if it's going to be hot)
big bowl of oatmeal, peanut butter, raisins, and banana 1 hour prior
Cliff bar every 1-1.5 hours during
20+ oz Gatorade during
100+ oz water during
PB&J at 3/4 mark (or when tired of Cliff bars)
Power Gel (w/ caffeine) as needed
Full bottle of chocolate milk for recovery
lots of beer after

The following user would like to thank Brian for his or her post:
Kimba
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:05 am 
Fail242
Fail242

Given: 494 thanks
Received: 564 thanks
Bike(s): None :(
Favorite Trails: LPQ, SW, Otay, TriCanyons!
I need to bump up my nutrition...

I am also trying to put the 'clyde' status way behind me, so I don't like to eat much on long rides. Maybe at the most a cliffbar or some shotblocks.

Last weekend I really paid the price. On top of accidentally dumping out all my water all I had to eat/drink that morning was a sugerfree redbull and some donuts. Near the end of the ride I was just plowing through every thing instead of trying to properly manage the front end, that plus my lack of skill resulted in my two OTBs.

The following user would like to thank wirk242 for his or her post:
katonk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:23 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 407 thanks
Received: 610 thanks
Favorite Trails: 11111
katonk wrote:
What if (like me) you're a fat ass and want to maximize the number of calories you burn. Obviously you can't just ride for hours on end and not eat anything. I presume there's a tipping point somewhere...

Katonk I too was a fat ass when I got back into biking. I ended up losing 40 lbs over the last year by concentrating on lots of climbing coupled with a few changes to my eating habits. Eliminating Cheese whenever possible, vodka instead of beer(optional of course cuz calories about the same but carbs?), eating cereal for breakfast, avoiding sugar in white or syrup(fructose) form, ignoring hunger pains on non-ride days while avoiding fast-food only situations, but definitley pigging-out after rides where I feel I earned it, eating more fish+poultry/less red meat, corn tortilla instead of flour, if ordering out ask for no salt/msg(IN-N-OUT will do no salt fries and burgers), NO FOOD 3 HOURS BEFORE BED, OH and Eliptical Machine 45 mins/ Spin Bike 45mins at the meat market on odd days when not riding or recovering to keep the legs/heart loose...............OK thats enough, point is if you kick your own ass hard enough 2 to 3 times a week on the hills and/or 2 times a week cardio in the gym it might work. It did for me. :bang:

BTW, a general question, I have tried to cut salt almost completely out of my diet over the last year and have yet to suffer a cramp, just goes to show how much salt is added to stuff you might not even expect!

The following 6 users would like to thank jjthewhale for his or her post:
katonk, Kimba, Los, luna, Sultan Ali, wirk242
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:01 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 442 thanks
Received: 2590 thanks
Bike(s): RIP9, Nomad
Favorite Trails: Backcountry
EMFC wrote:
GP_pilot wrote:
I. I'm still formulating my nutrition for rides more than 5 hours. When three of us crossed the San Gabes back in Dec, we started with a monster breakfast of eggs and pancakes (protein & carbs for the morning). Then it was an hour drive before we hit the trail (digest). Throughout the ride, I forced myself to eat and drink. My energy felt good all day, but I believe I was also helped on the way the terrain was laid out. 11 hours later, we crossed the San Gabes after 50 miles. .

Damn when we doing this ride?

A number of folks have requested this ride. I'd like to schedule it after the snow melts on the backside (north) of the San Gabes and before it starts getting hot in the high desert. Possibly by mid-April but definitely by mid-May. Unfortunately I've got some other mega routes planned that I'd like to ride then before it gets too hot. Too many trails, too little time.

Here's the TR if you missed it: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1211

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:31 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7322 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
GP_pilot wrote:
A number of folks have requested this ride. I'd like to schedule it after the snow melts on the backside (north) of the San Gabes and before it starts getting hot in the high desert. Possibly by mid-April but definitely by mid-May. Unfortunately I've got some other mega routes planned that I'd like to ride then before it gets too hot. Too many trails, too little time.

By mid May? Interesting to see where we could fit it in. Maybe the couple weeks before Moab? Don't forget the archipelago ride on May 9. Are you able to make Palm Canyon on the 29th?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:22 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

I have gained 20lbs, now I'm trying to lose weight by the way Adrian wrote above.

Brian that's close to what I do too on rides.

I know once I'm in MTB mode and riding 3 times a week, my stomach doesn't do well eat junk/fast food.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:35 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
katonk wrote:

In the same boat wondering the same thing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:43 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Man I lied about how I would change my nutrition.

Working too many hours, no excercise, & fast foods adds 30lbs. Not good either when your a short guy.

I didn't get tired on Sun. when I rode, but man I feel the extra weight climbing, it sucks ass.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:17 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 183 thanks
Received: 168 thanks
Bike(s): '13 Intense UZZI
Favorite Trails: Los Gatos - Big Bear
wirk242 wrote:

...all I had to eat/drink that morning was a sugerfree redbull and some donuts...

:shock:

wirk242 wrote:
...resulted in my two OTBs.

...again?!?! :shock:

Go s#!t...I'm not a fish :domo: