All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:36 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7321 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
People love to bag on California. Visiting riders will often fit in some rides here as part of a bigger trip, but you don't often hear of people travelling to CA just to mountain bike anywhere not named Santa Cruz or Tahoe. I've always found that pretty amusing considering how good our riding is here. Gabe Tiller was coming down in April/May to do some riding and told me afterwards his expectations had not been high, but he was pretty blown away how good the riding was.

Gabe led creation of the Oregon Timber Trail, a 670 mile bikepacking route across Oregon. He was here to check out sections of a new route a bunch of us are working on called Orogenesis that will connect the Baja Divide and the Oregon Timber Trail for 5,000 miles all the way to Canada. I've been scouting sections of the Orogenesis route for years now and have pretty solid suggested route from the border up past Yosemite. Lots of other scouts have been contributing too, and it was time to check out some alternatives in person and nail down a preferred route as we hope to launch V1 later this year. Another big part of the trip is meeting with local bike groups along the route and get them on board to work with us. 5,000 miles is too much for any one group to take on, and part of the mission is to use Orogenesis to help spur trail development all along the route. So we would both be joining up with the Lowelifes in LA for a trailwork weekend mid trip.

The trails in May Valley-Hurkey Creek have seen a bit of work and will be included in Orogenesis. The Stagecoach 400 route was able to use them back in March for the first time since 2013.

I went up to Idyllwild a couple days before meeting with Gabe to check on conditions.

With the wet winter we've had, streams are still flowing strong even weeks after the last rain.

And still snow on the San Jacinto Mtns

I spent some time cleaning up storm damage from this winter and clearing a distinct a line across the fire break on Rage in the Sage. Even before the 2013/2018 fires there was never a great line through here. Now there is.

First swim of the year.

Went for a ride higher up in the system to make sure the upper trails are passable.

May Valley Road is not much of a road anymore. Fortunately you can duck into one of the trails just above this point.

These trails have seen almost no traffic since the fires so they're hard to follow in places. My bike is on the trail here, in case you can't tell. Lots of looking for cut logs and corridors through the brush. I did some trimming where buckthorn was growing over the trail.

I climbed up to the highest trail called Log Pile. The namesake pile of logs at the entrance is gone but there were enough downed trees that the name still fits.

Beyond that first patch of logs most of the trail was riding well.

I checked out Buena Vista. Last time I looked it was covered in debris, as if USFS had shut it down. It has since been cleaned up. It was harder to follow than Log Pile but still in good shape.

What was already vague trail totally petered out before the road so I just made it up from there. I'd call it solid adventure riding right now. Need to get more traffic on these trails!

The following 7 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
ajdonner, avidtest, GForce, Ld00d, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor, tfitz
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:04 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Gabe showed up to camp pretty late so we didn't get to riding until the crack of 10am. Fortunately temps were good.

We opted to check out the Ramona Trail first. I've never climbed up it before, so I suggested doing that rather than climb the fire road.

Turns out the climb is pretty nice.

There were a few spots we couldn't clean because of grade and/or tech. But there were also some nice breaks in the climb and good views.

Pic by Gabe

We cut over to the ridgeline fire road at Toolbox spring and climbed up to the summit of Thomas Mtn. View looking west. That's Cahuilla Mtn in the middle.

Gabe getting the highest vantage point for a photo

San Jacinto on the right with its own cloud, and San Gorgonio in behind on the left....Gorgonio is much further away, on the far side of I-10

The sticker in the photo below might be seen a lot on the Orogenesis route.

For those not familiar it's the CRHT or [url="https://elcr.org/california-hiking-and-riding-trail/"]California Riding & Hiking Trail[/url], the original long distance trail in CA that never fully materialized. Legislation was signed in 1944 envisioning a 3,000 mile trail from San Diego up around LA in the Socal mountains, north through the Sierras to the OR border and then over and down the coast ranges. 29 of 38 counties submitted trail plans for their areas and development proceeded into the 1960's with close to 1,000 miles of trail constructed. Funding and planning difficulties eventually halted the project, and over the years some sections have fared better than others. Some are awesome trails we ride today, with a section in Cuyamaca being a well known example. Some sections exist but have fallen into disrepair. Others were dirt/ranch roads we can still use. Some sections were paved as local roads or even highways. There were a lot of easements across private property. Some landowners have disregarded the easements and put up no trespassing signs, others disputed the easements and land managers quit claimed (abandoned) the easements rather than fight for public access. It's hard to even find maps of the trail. But you will still find these stickers in random places if you pay attention. Apparently the CRHT makes it to the top of Thomas Mtn.

From the summit we continued a bit further on Thomas Mtn Road to the upper end of Ramona Trail. Being early season there were a few downed trees.

And some patches of snow

Ramona is a fun descent with pretty good flow and some fun tech sections.

Pic by Gabe

Back down at the bottom we checked out another section of trail nearby that shortcuts from Thomas Mtn Road to Hwy 371. It's not a great connector and I pushed just enough so Gabe got a taste of the hike a bike involved (steep!). We could improve it with some re-routes, otherwise it's there right now if we want to use it to bypass a few miles of pavement. Lots of choices like that for the route...

We did find a new to me singletrack just off the road I hadn't noticed before. It was great up top but dropped into a sandy wash that got pretty miserable.

Fun ride. The climb up Ramona is one I'll do again. Challenging and way better than the fire road.

The following 5 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
ajdonner, Kimba, Ld00d, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:59 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

For a second ride we drove up above Idyllwild and would ride back to my truck still parked in camp following the proposed Orogenesis route through the Hub trails, connecting through town to May Valley.

We didn't take a lot of pics as it's all forest riding...and getting a bit late. Had to drop down a bit of forest road to get to the trail network.

The Hub network is a spaghetti web of trails with a million intersections and no signs. It's confusing to navigate even with gps. I spent a bunch of time figuring out the most climbable route for bikepacking. Turns out there is a descent on that route that is pretty tough to climb going the other way. At least, it's tough when you've already got a few thousand feet of climbing under your belt : ) Might take another look at that.

We managed to take a wrong turn and got off the bikepacking route, but it gave me a chance to show Gabe a few of the cool rock features out there.

With the climb and some downed trees the Hub took longer than expected and it was getting dark as we climbed up to May Valley Road.

We skipped Log pile trail but had to take the lower singletrack Tres Hombres since it bypasses the road washouts. Riding through here the other day was very helpful as I could still remember some of the more obscure twists and turns in the dark.

Was extra happy to have this log crossing at this point rather than have to wade across.

That was a long day, close to 40 miles, and we still had to retrieve the shuttle.

The following 4 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
Dirtrider, Kimba, Ld00d, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:41 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5013 thanks
Received: 5052 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
Evan, your TRs are the best. Thank you!

-Big Clyde

The following 2 users would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
ajdonner, evdog
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:02 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Didn't feel like driving 25min back to where we'd camped the night before and there was pretty much zero chance that spot would still be open. So I pointed us down to a cool spot I know in the Hub trail system that overlooks beautiful Hemet, CA. It's actually a cool spot at night.

It's even more beautiful when you can't see Hemet because of a low cloud layer : )

Glad we were above the clouds where things were dry

Thought about doing a quick ride at the Hub but then thought better of it as we had a lot of stuff to check out. I wanted to show Gabe a bunch of different route options so he could see in person why I wanted to go one way rather than another.

First stop was Warner Springs. There is a section of CRHT here that bypasses a ton of paved highway, but the landowner Vista Irrigation District has taken down trail signs, put up No trespassing signs and is trying to eliminate the trail easement on its land. Dead rabbit on the fencepost is a warning?

CRHT is still the route into Warner Springs from the PCT which passes through the same property. Not a big deal if we can't use this as climbing up to the highway here is not the preferred option for Orogenesis. The plan is for it to stay low through Anza Borrego and go up Coyote Canyon instead, which has more dirt and is way more remote.

Anza Borrego was our next stop. Pointed out Grapevine Canyon and Jasper Trail, two dirt roads that climb up to Hwy S-22 if we did want to go through Warner Springs. Still lots of flowers popping higher up above the desert floor.

Pic by Gabe

Cacti bloom later than most flowers and there were lots of pink bunches visible on the drive down

Pic by Gabe

We got tacos and then drove around checking out a few of the sculptures around Borrego Springs. Plan is to take the route past as many of those as possible.

More bloomage

It was too hot to ride, probably mid 90s, but we checked out a few more spots and some more flowers. Ocotillo also bloom late, and they were going off as well.

Tacoma photobombing Tacoma.

Pic by Gabe

We kept heading south. I pointed out a few other spots and options as we climbed up to Julian and Cuyamaca, then over to Mt Laguna. Looking back down at the desert floor of Anza Borrego 5,000ft below.

The following 2 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
Ld00d, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:20 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

We conveniently left a truck at the bottom of Noble Canyon Trail. It was getting a bit late in the day to do more exploring, but with lights we had plenty of time for a ride.

Starting off

Pic by Gabe

Sun about to go down as we crest the first short climb

Pic by Gabe

The route turns west here down Indian Creek and heads over to Cuyamaca. None of that for us today.

Pic by Gabe

Like everywhere, stream crossings were running high. It was dark down in the depths of the canyon

Pic by Gabe

Cruising along at last light

Pic by Gabe

Gabe is a good technical rider. He made short work of this spot, taking the higher line on the right. I got sucked into the middle like usual and got hung up.

Dropping in to the hairpin above Stairway to hell

Stairway is a whole different animal in the dark. Gabe took the high line all the way and almost cleaned it.

There was a fire last year just below this spot, and winter storms also wreaked havoc on the trail. So it took us a while to finish. Final descent was interesting in the dark. Great ride though.

The following 3 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
Dirtrider, Ld00d, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:23 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

One of the more interesting sections of the route is from the US/Mex border at Tecate, north towards I-8.

The Hauser and Pine Creek Wilderness areas, along with private property in key corridors, effectively block all East-West travel on dirt across the county south of I-8. The only publicly accessible dirt route is the border patrol road that heads east from Tecate. That road is a pretty terrible route for bikes, and not just because of the repeated steep climbs. It sees a lot of border patrol traffic and also a lot of recreational OHV traffic especially on weekends. So with some searching I eventually found an ATV trail that splits off the border road and climbs up to Hwy 94 though just a bit of private ranch land. Then another road heads north from Hwy 94 on mostly public right of way, passing through some private land with abandoned homes and RVs, before entering BLM and National forest land. That road drops into Hauser Canyon, where I found a road that climbs up to an abandoned mine which conveniently has an abandoned singletrack that climbs up to a County park where it connects to the park trail system. There are two ways to connect through the park back to National forest land, the more enticing of which takes us over and around a dam and connects into an OHV trail network with some trails that are decent for MTB. Will we ever gain official access to cross over the dam? It is pretty sketchy as is, but dam it would be cool. The days adventure would be to show this part of the route to Gabe.

Setting off south through Corral Canyon we catch up to one of the locals

Looking over the east San Diego county backcountry

pic by Gabe

Lots of nice slabs on Wrangler trail

pic by Gabe

Dropping down a primitive old forest road towards the lake

To get around the dam you have to climb over the spillway and then follow it around and below the dam. Getting over the spillway is sketchy in either direction.

pic by Gabe

Looking down canyon around the end of the spillway

We connect through the park where we pick up a trail that connects to the PCT

Where this trail connects to the PCT, the abandoned mine trail continues almost directly across. You can't see it because of spring growth and dis-use, but it's there.

We hiked down PCT a bit to a lookout over Hauser Canyon. The canyon runs downhill to that reservoir. There is a trail that runs all the way down to the reservoir but I've explored it and found it to be swampy where it follows a stream, and choked with poison oak. And with no exit at the far end, it would be a slog back uphill.

We head back through the park. Very pretty area that doesn't see a lot of traffic.

pic by Gabe

pic by Gabe

Traversing back down to the dam

pic by Gabe

Gabe drops in on the only rideable part of the bypass

The hike a bike around it is no joke.

Climbing back out. The lake level is as high as I've ever seen it.

The old road is short but super scenic

It was getting hot so we took the easy way out on the road rather than climb back through the singletrack moto trails.

We drove out via Hwy 94 back toward San Diego and then cut down on a dirt road toward the border, just before Tecate. I wanted to show Gabe the ATV trail I'm proposing the route use, but border patrol was actively searching that area with a low flying helicopter and multiple vehicles and officers on the ground, so we skipped it to avoid getting in their way.

Dirtrider, Ld00d, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:23 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23228 thanks
Received: 17283 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
So great! I’d really been looking forward to an update on your Orogenesis work. Thank you. For the TR and for all that work.

The following user would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
evdog
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:44 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

OldDogDan wrote:
So great! I’d really been looking forward to an update on your Orogenesis work. Thank you. For the TR and for all that work.

The route is coming along! Still a bit of stuff to scout, but the big challenge right now is choosing which way to go in places where there are numerous options. I think we will end up with a ton of local bikepacking routes that join some of those options into shorter loops.

The following user would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:45 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

I headed back to San Diego for a day while Gabe headed up to LA. I made the drive up there on Friday planning to ride Idlehour Trail with a buddy, Steve. Gabe was going to join us but ended up having to do work stuff.

Steve lives at the base of Mt Wilson within riding distance to a whole bunch of terrible trails #LAsucksforcycling. We rode a mile of pavement and then started the slog up Lower Sam Merrill Trail. It sees heavy hiker traffic up to Inspiration Point, but is a good climb for bikes with narrow, exposed tread and plenty of challenging step ups and rock gardens.

View from the climb looking over toward Sunset Ridge. From Lower Sam we connected over to the Mt Lowe Railway. A railroad was actually built from Altadena up to the top of Mt Lowe in the 1890s and operated until around 1940. The rail right of way is now a gravel road and key trail connector up to Eaton Saddle.

Higher up we get away from views over LA and can only see mountains

Starting in on Idlehour. It doesn't see a ton of use because it doesn't connect well for hikers, and for bikes it has a stout climb out at the end followed by a long road descent down through Henninger Flats back to town.

That's fine because it's an awesome backcountry trail that doesn't need any extra traffic.

First leg of the descent drops us into a stream bed for our first water crossing, followed by a short steep climb

Flowers are still out

Always a treat seeing ferns in Socal

It was super lush down in the canyon.

Another stream crossing.

Tempting to go for a swim...but tacos were waiting down in town

More flowers. Found a whole hillside carpeted with them as I maneuvered for a better shot of the waterfall

Just like the ferns, waterfalls are a treat here as well

We were almost done with the descent which ended just after the Idlehour trail camp. That camp is at a cool spot just above the stream. What was not cool was a smoldering campfire someone didn't put out before leaving. I had plenty of water left in the pack and used much of it to drown out the embers.

Steve pointing back up at where we came from

A bit of cruising to break up the climb out. The climb didn't take long and wasn't as bad as I expected.

Before you knew it we were down at the taco shop. Great day on the bike. Idlehour is a classic I'll be back for again.

Headed back up the mountain after the ride. Had a nap. And checked out the sunset from top of Mt Wilson before finding a place to camp

Looking east towards Mt Baldy

Dirtrider, Ld00d, mtbchip, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:35 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Unless we decide it needs some significant bonus climbing, Idlehour from the previous day's ride is not part of the Orogenesis route. Just on the other side of the mountains lies the Gabrielino National Rec Trail, though, which is.

The Gab, along with other nearby trails, has been under USFS closure order since the 2020 Bobcat fire. The Lowelifes Respectable Citizen's Club has been aggressively rehabbing these trails to get them open again. The Angeles NF has approximately zero funds for trail rehab or maintenance for that matter, so all of that work is left up to volunteers. The Lowelifes just last year finished up a multi-year project restoring the Condor Peak Trail just north of here. That trail had been closed since the 2009 Station fire. No way were they going to let the Gab go that long. They have been holding regular public trail work days in addition to focused days sawing downed trees, and occasional trail work camp outs. The campout for this weekend was jointly organized by Orogenesis Collective and the Lowelifes. A group from the Angeles Crest 100 race would be working on a section of trail closer to the trailhead as well.

Gabe gives a talk about Orogenesis before we get going

Part of the draw for riders in joining these workdays is getting to go into the closure area to check things out

The area took a hit, not just from the fire but from this winter's storms. This washout continued down over two switchbacks below as well

We had a 5 mile ride down canyon to our destination, the West Fork trail camp

pic by Gabe

We were warned of wet crossings, but most were hardened which made crossing them easy with the right technique

pic by Gabe

Lots of small landslides on top of the washouts. Downed trees had already been cleared

We claimed camp spots and then got to work setting up

Tools were already staged on site

pic by Gabe

Most rode in, but a few hiked in to West Fork. Then we hiked a bit more into the work site. We had been split into teams and spread out along the trail

pic by Gabe

The big task was re-establishing the bench cut. The San Gabriels are steep so rock, debris and leaves are constantly pouring down the slopes.

Lots of trees for the saw team to cut out as well

pic by Gabe

Yucca is a cool plant, but can be a huge nuisance along trails with sharp pointed leaves often at leg and handlebar height. Matt cuts it way back, but it will regrow quickly.

pic by Gabe

Finished product. Nice, narrow tread

Cool waterfall. It used to have a big swimmable pool at the bottom but that has mostly filled in with rock and debris

More finished trail

We called it around 5 and headed back to camp for a swim and some beverages

No more snow melt in this part of the mountains, so it wasn't cold, but still more flow than normal

The Lowelifes do it right with hand pressed tortillas and home made carnitas and al pastor

pic by Gabe

Good times around the camp fire but most people crashed out not long after dark

pic by Gabe

We were back at it in the morning. We had left tools on the trail so at least we didn't have to carry those back out.

pic by Gabe

Day 2 was a bit shorter as we still had to climb 5 miles climb back out.

More finished product.

It was pretty warm mid afternoon, but the stream crossings provided lots of opportunity to cool off.

pic by Gabe

I had been wanting to join in on one of these trail camps for ages, but dates had never worked out. The Lowelifes, and the Mount Wilson Bicycling Association who works mostly on the front side of the Gabes, maintain a lot of my favorite trails in Socal. I'll be back for more of these days for sure. I was stoked to find that the forest hadn't burned badly back there. Some spots burned more intensely but a lot of big trees survived. It's definitely not the deep dark canyon that it used to be, though.

This campout weekend was end of April. The Forest Service had been updating the closure order every 30 days the past few months. It was hoped they would reduce the closure area in light of this and other recent workdays, but they did not for May 1. Good news came at the end of May however and the area we worked on was re-opened to the public starting June 1.

The following 6 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
ajdonner, Dirtrider, J.A.M., Kimba, Ld00d, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:12 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23228 thanks
Received: 17283 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Awesome. Thanks again, sincerely.

The following user would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
evdog
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:43 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

After trail work I did a bit of exploring up top Mt Wilson. There is some cool trail up there.

Nice views to the east

Still a bit of snow and some downed trees. Rode as far down as where the closure area starts.

Debated dropping down this trail to the first road crossing, but decided my legs had enough already... it would be a 700ft gain to get back out.

Enjoyed the sunset instead

The following 2 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
Ld00d, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:52 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

The tour continues...

The next morning I met up with Gabe and Rob P, a board member of both the Lowelifes and CA MTB (the CA Mountain bike coalition, formed a few years ago when a bunch of CA groups ditched IMBA and formed our own state-wide group)

We climbed up into the clouds. The plan was to show them a number of options to connect across a gap in the existing on-the-ground route. The gap is around 1.5mi depending how we ultimately connect it.

A rare bit of nice riding

pic by Gabe

Gabe was like a kid in a candy store out there

The mountain is crisscrossed by old roads and trails if you look at old maps. You can see hints of them on the ground before they disappear under downed trees, brush, or old fire breaks. You really have to get out there to understand what is going on.

Trying to show Rob a "trail" that supposedly splits off down slope from our current spot

pic by Gabe

Not even sure if this is old fire break or old road. There was an abandoned car down the hill on one side of the ridge.

And according to maps, an abandoned trail wraps around the ridge lower down. I hiked down but could spot no trace of it in the burn area. Nor could I envision where it even came from, given the big rock outcrops out of frame behind me.

Our way down from there was a fire break that peeled off to the east. It has mostly grown over but there were short sections we could ride.

pic by Gabe

We'd get maybe 100ft and then end up like this

Checking out a tailings pile in case the miners missed any gold.

Going got tough about 2/3 down the ridge line and we had to detour down the side to bypass some steep rock outcrops

Satellite views show hints of road on the ridge, but you can't spot them on the ground except from a good vantage point like this.

Below you can see what looks like an old road cut just above/left of Rob's head that wasn't obvious on satellite imagery. We came down the face of the fire break instead, which was sketchy but rideable.

We checked out an abandoned mining road that goes through the canyon below us as well. Lots of mining relics left behind, along with lots of trash.

I'd like to introduce the Orogenesis hut system! Haha, maybe not. I've hiked what's left of the road in both directions. It's rough. Seems wild this place used to have drivable vehicle access.

We head back to the saddle. From there, another old trail drops down to the north side all the way into the valley below.

This trail has seen a lot of work by the locals and aside from some snow damage knocking brush down over the trail up top, it's a fun ride

pic by Gabe

Narrow and raw.

And just keeps going and going

pic by Gabe

We spent so much time messing around up top we were getting close to running out of daylight. But things went faster after the final road crossing where we got back onto regularly used trails. Fun exploration ride.

pic by Gabe

Not sure what the best option will be to connect through the trail gap there. It is easier to get permission to re-open legacy trails, even if they are only a line on an old map. On the ground of course, that is not always the easiest option. A new purpose built singletrack would be ideal here, but that can take years to get approved. For now we'll be using one of several forest roads to make the connection around this gap.

ajdonner, Ld00d, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:50 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Gabe had to work the following day. I took it easy, slept in, did some reading, had a nap, and then went for a ride over at the P12 network near Palmdale.

Palmdale is in the high desert. For some reason I hadn't expected Joshua Trees, but there they were. Cool!

Cactus in bloom as well

I'd never ridden here before so I just looked at some routes on trailforks and followed one that looked promising

Mostly it was pretty good. There was no signage that I saw, so navigation involved a lot of pulling out the phone.

It was getting on to late afternoon and a storm was threatening from the west, which made for some dramatic light.

Not all of the route was great. It sent me up a few trails in the non optimal direction. I was following trailforks, but my garmin seemed to know what I was in for lol

At least it was short lived pain. The trails I took on the way back were pretty fun. I'd ride here again for sure, hopefully with a bit more research ahead of time on the best routes. Fun to get some easier miles in after the previous day's bushwack.

Dirtrider, Kimba, Ld00d, OldDogDan