All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:04 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7321 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
Bikepacking Catalina Island has been on my to-do list for a long time. It should be an easy 3-day trip, but with permits and reservations required it takes more advanced planning than I normally prefer. 406 has been working an odd schedule right now giving him mid-week off so with temps still looking reasonable it seemed like a good time to go. Managed to snag the last campsite at Little Harbor that was free for consecutive nights.

Our shuttle to the island

Walking off the ferry in Avalon was a bit of culture shock - tourist hell. We picked up our bike permits at the visitor center and immediately watched some girl back her golf cart into two carts behind her when she couldn't figure out how to put it in drive. Seeing the golf cart tow cart made more sense after that.

Get us out of here! We climbed out of town to the south up Wrigley Rd. Apparently this road forms part of a loop all the tourists take their rental golf carts on so it was a parade of them going the opposite direction. But at least we were away from the worst of the mayhem.

See ya later, suckers! Here we turned onto the dirt East End Road where the real climbing began.

Warning!

This road would take us up to 1,600ft, the high point for both day 1 and the entire trip.

The elevation wouldn't kill us, but the heat just might. Heatwave across the southwest appeared on forecasts soon after we booked reservations.

My little thermometer showed between 90 and 100F and there was minimal breeze on the climb

Finally up top we get a view back down to Avalon

The Trans Catalina trail, along with other trails here aren't open to bikes. Most of the sections we saw were steep and stair-steppy, so I was actually fine with that. From the map it looks like half or more of TCT is on old fire roads.

Few trees means little shade, so shade structures have been installed along the TCT and bike routes. We came across a fountain soon after this as well.

The Catalina Island Conservancy clearly has our safety in mind. That cattle guard would be really dangerous to ride over!

We had another 8-9 miles to go to the Airport where we could refill water and maybe get some food. Fortunately the main climb for the day was over, it would be all rolling ridgetop terrain from here on. And some cloud cover moved in. It felt 20* cooler.

Had a coke and snack and picked up a couple expensive beers for later, then continued on. The remaining miles would trend downhill.

View of the west coast. Little Harbor campground is in among the palm trees in the background. You can see the TCT switchbacking up the ridge above it.

We got into camp and met the neighbors. Some were more social than others. Went over to the beach for swim and to use the outdoor shower.

The girls next to us had to wait across the way until this guy moved away and started napping. We were told he likes our campsite in particular, and even knows how to turn the water spigot on with his nose.

Rather than build our own we commandeered the neighbors' campfire while they went off for a sunset paddle.

Good day on the bike. The only bummer is getting a late start due to ferry schedule meant the ride started in the heat of the day. It would have been much easier if we could have started earlier. Heard about a few backpackers who needed assistance from the rangers. It really cooks once you're away from the water.

Stats 24.5mi, +/- 3,200

The following 8 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
Belizean, Big Clyde, Dirtrider, Kimba, Ld00d, Ray Dolor, Spotter, tfitz
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:02 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Day 2

Nothing to do today but ride, eat, and swim. The plan was to ride as far north as bikes are allowed which is Parson's Landing, about 8 miles beyond Two Harbors.

First we'd have to climb out of Little Harbor. Easy climb of 800ft in 4 miles, then a fast downhill to "town"

View into Two Harbors

It was busy, but not obnoxious like Avalon. Mostly people coming and going to various activities. Seemed like food establishments weren't open yet.

We poked around for a few mins and ran into a friend. Refilled water, then continued on our way. Looking back on the harbor

There are a bunch of boat in campsites below the road north of Two Harbors. Those would be pretty cool to stay at.

Each cove had plenty of boats moored as well.

There seemed to be some sort of private camp in each of the big coves

My gps route suggested a 5,000ft day but the road out to Parson's was pretty much flat. No way we were going to get close to that. It only took an hour to get out there.

Campsites are right on the beach, but there was no fresh water or shade. Except behind that big rock, so that's where we headed.

A swim was in order. Waves made things interesting. Once you hit the surf the beach was all gravel and small rocks, not sand. My ankles got pummeled by small rocks moved by wave action so I didn't stay in very long.

Had a snack and relaxed for a bit, then pedaled back.

There were plenty of people out hiking on the roads, including a few scout troops. Not many vehicles fortunately. That section of road is part of the TCT, forming a loop from the north end back to Two Harbors. It was a nice ride. Wouldn't want to hike it.

Stopped for a burger at this place. Witnessed a classic Karen moment. Lady backpacker who was in line to be seated got into it with a group that sat down at an empty table. There were plenty of empty tables. "Excuse me, there's a line!"

406 wanted to do some snorkeling so we headed over to the campground. Lots of fish. I forgot my mask, so I did some reading instead.

And tried not to get crabs

The campground is on a hillside and has better views than Little Harbor.

Made the pedal back to camp in under an hour. Bison still hanging around. Went for another swim then had dinner. New neighbors arrived via taxi with 4 kids in tow. Turns out the kids were well behaved but the parents were obnoxiously loud.

The sun sets out of view of the bay, so we went for a hike up the TCT to get a view. Looking back down on camp. We had the furthest possible site from the water.

Not a bad sunset at all.

Made it back to camp without needing lights, then sat by the fire for a while. Neighbors were still up making tons of noise past 11 when I went to bed.

Another good day. Stats 31mi, +/-3,400ft

The following 5 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
Big Clyde, Ld00d, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor, Spotter
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:12 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Day 3

Today would be the shortest but we'd still have to climb up to the main ridgeline. Planning to exit via Middle Ranch Rd. We'd been told it could get very hot through there, but at least we'd get to the climb first thing.

Checking out the beach in morning light. Not many people around.

We had a couple 3-400ft climbs to deal with before the main one.

Checked out a beach near the road

Very nice, even found a bit of trail

Middle Ranch Road passed through...you guessed it, a ranch. Looks like that's where a lot of the Island's operations are based out of. A few vehicles but not as much traffic as the route we took on day 1.

Soon we were at the top and ready to drop right into Avalon. The Stagecoach Road down is lined with Eucalyptus Trees, which provided some nice shade.

Avalon just out of sight beyond the ridge

The road had brand new asphalt which made for a quick descent

A gate to keep the yahoo's out

Nice view of the harbor and town

A bit more snorkeling at Lovers Cove. Try not to get run over by the glass bottom boats

Back to town for a burger before the ferry home.

Stats for day 3 - 20mi and +/- 2,300ft.

Nice short trip. The distances on the island are perfect for a 3 day bikepack with plenty of time to relax. It could easily be done in two days and camp at Two Harbors or Parson's Landing, but why rush? I'd bring my mask and snorkel next time, and probably set the trip up to do more hiking. Most roads aren't open to bikes, a lot more of them can be hiked.

The following 13 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
ajdonner, avidtest, Belizean, Big Clyde, Dirtrider, GForce, J.A.M., k2rider, Ld00d, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor, Spotter, tfitz
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:44 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
I didn't see any reports of extensive HAB activity. I'm surprised you felt this a worthy endeavor :mrgreen: :drunk:

The following 2 users would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
Ld00d, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:53 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Haha... the Spur pedals so well I didn't HAB even the steepest fire road sections.

Though lack of HAB meant more wear and tear on the ol' booty, which made it tough enough.

It's not a normal MTB ride for sure, but definitely worth checking out.

For anyone interested you could ride much of this point to point as a day ride taking the ferry from San Pedro, which services both Two Harbors and Avalon. Take ferry into one, ride to the other, and get a ferry back. But camping out there was pretty awesome. You could camp at Two Harbors or Avalon and do a loop to avoid carrying bikepacking gear.

The following 5 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
Belizean, Dirtrider, k2rider, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:39 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
evdog wrote:
Haha... the Spur pedals so well I didn't HAB even the steepest fire road sections.

I didn't know you bought a Spur. I thought you were in the market for a Rascal or Ranger.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:22 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23228 thanks
Received: 17283 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Great TR and photos! I had been wondering what it’d be like to bikepack there. I went to Two Harbors in the late seventies with my girlfriend, tent camped right above the beach, snorkeled, and day hiked around there and to the sadly private coves north of there. We went in the Two Harbors bar for Saturday night drinks, and Rod Stewart was there with a blonde — Alana before they got married. The yachting crowd had us backpackers feeling our lower social class, but we had a good time. The full moon was beautiful later, sitting stoned atop the isthmus, looking west away from the harbor lights.

The following 3 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
avidtest, evdog, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:22 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Yeah it was pretty fun. We pretty much covered everything open to bikes. Going back I'd probably bike in and then doing more hiking and snorkelling. I forgot my snorkel/mask so had to stick to swimming. There's a big loop from Two Harbors around the north end of the Island to hike, and out to a point near the northern tip. There were tons of backpackers, probably enough to state down the yachting crowd.

The following user would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:22 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

k2rider wrote:
I didn't know you bought a Spur. I thought you were in the market for a Rascal or Ranger.

You obviously haven't been paying attention!