All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:05 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
I didn't take a lot of pretty pictures worth posting like @evdog but his Hurkey Creek photos encouraged me to get back to The Hub. We go out there maybe twice a year and I swear, we NEVER end up taking the same route twice....and that's not by design. We always get turned around somewhere. This time, we ended up back on our route to the top from our very first ride back in 2011 or 12. It's basically backwards from the way the locals go but aside from a few moments of "we should be going down this" discussion, it's a great ride. Next time, we're actually going to go up the "right" way up the Alvin meadows Grind and come down Lower Alvin Meadows to hook into the lower, not on any app, twisty wind trail network.

Anyway...the reason I wanted to take the time to post to let everybody know that the trail conditions, aside from a few soft corners, was absolutely primo. Legit 12-16" singletrack. On the trails I mentioned above that show up on Trailforks, the conditions couldn't be any better. Get up there and get some. Unfortunately, we didn't go into town so I'm not sure what's open but La Cocina in Anza is open and their carnitas is still pretty amazing!!

The following 5 users would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
avidtest, Canaan, Dirtrider, Kimba, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:25 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23228 thanks
Received: 17284 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Thanks, was just discussing today about heading up there before too-damn-hot black fly season.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:40 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
OldDogDan wrote:
Thanks, was just discussing today about heading up there before too-damn-hot black fly season.

We lucked out on Saturday. 56 degrees and sunny when we pulled up 8:30. It warmed up to the mid 60's but we didn't have any issues as we finished up on 2+ miles of DH flow on Alvin Meadows Grind. I will say that we saw at least one person going up the Grind wearing a head net.

The following user would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:45 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7322 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
You can still get some nice temps there if you time it right. Bugs are out though, but can be hit and miss as well. Of the 2 days I've been up there, one day was miserable (and forgot the headnet) and the other day wasn't bad - a few would swarm when you'd stop otherwise not noticeable.

The following user would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:15 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 2887 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 4 Life
Favorite Trails: Anything with minimal climbing
Eye gnats can't keep up at 5mph or with an eMTB ;)
The eye gnats are at the worst in the tree covered areas like in Sleepwalker and Insomniac.
Netting is a must there.

Thinking of heading up there this Sat.
My bud has been busy round the clock since Jan clearing and reopening OG Hub trails.
Last February, I covered 41 miles of singletrack there on one ride and didn't even cover the entire network. Some of the trails were still overgrown/damaged/closed at the time (Boneyard, The Wizard and a few others near Alvin meadows).

The following 2 users would like to thank ozzer for his or her post:
Belizean, OldDogDan