PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:04 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9364 thanks
Received: 5395 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
The Best Laid Plans
I had plans to go riding with a neighbor, but we had signals crossed, so I went on a solo ride.

The last couple of times I've been out at my local, I would do the whole thing from my front door, but I wanted to try to make a loop out of the legal Tunnel(s) so when I do get my neighbors out there, I'll know where to go.

I drove up to the Mesa, and was shocked at how different things have gotten. I used to drive up there and park on the side of the dead end road, but the dead end road is a major thoroughfare now with bike lanes. They've built a small park up there with a lot to park in, so I took advantage of this new-to-me feature.

I put everything together and shot down Cobbles. Actually, I kinda mozied. Cobbles is still fun. Not much new there.

Spun up Powerlines. Pretty much the same.

If There's Only One Tunnel, Tunnels is a Bad Name

As I headed toward Tunnel(s), I was thinking about how I had first run into the place. Tunnels was the biggest, most well known secret in the area, but at the time, I wasn't on forums or anything. I was just wandering around on the sort-of Intestines-like trails that were around there. I ran into a guy and he said "oh, you're looking for the secret bush trail". I wasn't, but he told me there was a secret bush trail that started with a drop into a tunnel of bushes. I wandered around and followed the hundreds of bike treads until I just ran into this secret trail, and man oh man was this the best ever. Up and down and all around. Between trees. Grabbing the bar ends on some branches.

Ok, back to today. I took Tunnel 4 down.

When I used to ride Tunnel(s), I have no idea which one I was on. It kind of weaved around up top a bit and then dropped down and made a hard right over some big cobblestones. You'd almost get closelined by a fence or something if you weren't careful. After swooping around a bit, you'd make a left at some cleats or something and then the trail would turn and head back up the hill. It was hard to climb, but it was very doable.

LL0st

Last time I was in there, I kept going to Intuit and just took the bike path home. Today, I needed to get back to my car, so that wasn't an option. I hung a left at what I think is Deer Creek. I ended up at some houses off the 56, so I backtracked and found a pretty fun trail that took me to some fireroad that went by a rehab area.

The Kindness of Strangers

I hit houses again, and it was looking more and more like I'd have to take the roads back to my car, but there was a fairly busy fireroad going back into the preserve, so I asked a nice lady if I could get back to Duck Pond that way. I think she was telling me to just take the fireroad, but I ran into another interesting trail with lots of bunnies and horse poop. The trail apparently ends at a horse ranch. I stopped to contemplate my next move, and some other riders came up behind me. I asked them how to get back to Duck Pond without being shot, and they guided me to a short trail that brought me back to the street on the Mesa.

tl;dr: I went for a ride and it went ok.

ps. Ok, the image upload is hosed. I'll see if I can figure out why.

The following 12 users would like to thank Ld00d for his or her post:
24v, avidtest, Big Clyde, Dirtrider, GForce, Kimba, klurejr, OhNooo, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor, Red Hot Sloth, tfitz
 Post subject: Re: LL0st in LPQ
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:48 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5013 thanks
Received: 5052 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
I was there today screwing around and we had a somewhat similar ending, kinda lost by the 56. Another rider showed us the "Shire" trail, which made being lost worth it.

-Big Clyde

The following 4 users would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
Ld00d, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor, socal_jack
 Post subject: Re: LL0st in LPQ
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:28 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 25 thanks
Received: 241 thanks
Bike(s): Pinhoti III, Krampus, R1ot
Favorite Trails: BLT/Noble, Calavera
Kimba wrote:
I was there today screwing around and we had a somewhat similar ending, kinda lost by the 56. Another rider showed us the "Shire" trail, which made being lost worth it.

Had a similar but opposite recent experience 2 weeks ago on SS going up the hill by the Shire, climb wasn't getting any funner, remembered seeing the Shire in an MTBR post and the entrance(EXIT) was right there on my left, figured it was worth a shot uphill, WRONG! Barely got the bike up that dropoff. I thought the duck pond re-route was still no go but once at the top could see what kind of day it was gonna be.

The following 4 users would like to thank socal_jack for his or her post:
Dirtrider, Kimba, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor