All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:40 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
I was able to get the time off from work to take the kids on the last hurrah before the end of summer. Since Mammoth was out of the equation this year for a number of reasons, I really wanted to get up to Big Bear/Snow Summit. I was able to explore a bit out there last year and there is plenty for the kids to do from the down hill fire roads to Skyline to Westridge. I wanted to do a mid-week since the crowds would be greatly diminished. It was nice to roll right up to the lift and get on with a 2 person wait at most times.

Tuesday night we hit the Bowling Barn and reaffirmed none of us will ever ever be in the PBA.

We were up bright an early Wednesday morning but had to wait until 9:30 for Snow Summit to open and nearly 10 am since they had some issue with the lift right out of the box. grrrrrr...

Not amused with the wait.

First run was down Skyline from the west side of the mountain to the east. I took a lot of heat from the kids since I told them the ride was our warm up. They thought it would be all down hill. While you do shave off 1200 ft, there is some up along the way.

The group, less me as photographer, but my bike made the photo.

In the two days that ensued, Westridge, Party Wave, and Turtle inflicted all sorts of carnage to the riders and steeds.

Mason's ride after he ricocheted off a tree and into a rock. Fortunately it is cosmetic for the frame and no damage to the kid.

He also crashed on the double wall ride on Westridge. Gotta give the kid props for trying. Just not enough speed on the second wall so he wound up sliding down the face.

Devin played supergirl at the bottom of the bridge/drop roll on Miricle Mile just before the turn off to Turtle. Fortunately, she only wound up with bruises on her leg when her bike decided to ride her down the hill rather than the normal way.

Killed my back tire (delaminated)

Cam went down in the last paver berm at the bottom Westridge. Fortunately nothing bad for him or his bike but I was right behind him and sacrificed myself rather than run him down. My left shin slammed into the sharp, raised edge of the concrete paver. Had I not been wearing armor I would not have any skin on my leg. Instead, I wound up with a grapefruit sized welt on my leg and lost a fair amount of skin under the armor. Hurt like a Muther F'r....

It wasn't until later in the day I realized I pulled my left side (ribs) during my noble "save the kid" bailout. It was when I hit the intermediate skill builder trail my body said "you are done".

I have to give SS/Mammoth props for the work they have gotten complete this year. While it is disappointing that the much needed green trail was not completed, there is a whole beginner section (only lift served on the weekends) that is in line with what was done at Mammoth. The skill section has a few small tabletops and 1 foot drops into a downhill transition. The boys tackled it without hesitation.
Cam was a little nose heavy but it is a new bike to him (thanks Skywalker :wave: )

Not to be outdone by his little brother, Mason makes it look smooth.

If you are a big hit fan, there is a great advanced gap line with a brand new mega ramp into a 15 foot skateboard style wall ride. We sat and watched people on the woodchipped landing ramp try 360s. Try... It looked painful. The fire department was up there several times on Saturday before we even left at 11:30. Amazing this is the same area that was closed for years because of a rider crashing on the trails.

Friday was a fishing, screwing around, and a recovery day. We landed only one catfish but it was still nice to not get skunked.

We also tackled the mountain another way.

I would like to say it was a safer way to hit the mountain but another from our group received second degree burns when he fell out of his sled part way down the mountain. Nobody escaped this trip unscathed!

We headed down the mountain on Saturday since none of us wanted to deal with the crowds. Besides, I feel like I have a knife in my side if I turn just so...

As we pull out of Pineknot camp (a must if you are staying overnight), Cam says to me the tire looks a little low on the trailer. Sure enough it was. Stupid me.. Just put air in it, it will be fine. We were fortunate that it made it all the way down the 330 to the point the highway turns into the freeway. It was at that point the low air tire met its fate and committed highway Hari kari. Now I get to relive all my youth with my dad on our summer trips.

Unbeknownst to most people, I can change a trailer tire with a speed that will rival a NASCAR pit crew. I wanted to use the moment to pass the torch so, on the highway interchange ramp (lots of dirt sholder to safely work in) in 109 degree heat with no shade, Mason has picked up a new life skill.

After that, it was a pretty boring trip home. Lots of memories, lots of dings, lots of pain. It was a great trip. Now they are hounding me...

"Dad, when are we going back?" :bang:

The following 18 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
65mph12, avidtest, b5driver, Big Clyde, Canaan, Christ D., Dirt Pedaller, Dirtrider, Eric_B, J.A.M., k2rider, Ld00d, OhNooo, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor, Scarbery Rdr2, skywalker, tfitz
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:39 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Great TR. Glad all survived without serious injury!

The following user would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
bankerboy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:32 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 186 thanks
Received: 101 thanks
Bike(s): Yeti SB95C, Yeti SB95
Favorite Trails: Los Gatos to Noble
You are a fortunate man MB! One of the best trip reports ever. I miss riding with my son like I cannot even begin to describe. Waiting another year or two for this kind of trip with the 3rd generation!

The following user would like to thank Dirt Pedaller for his or her post:
bankerboy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:58 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5218 thanks
Received: 1040 thanks
Bike(s): invisible ones
Favorite Trails: Whatever is left...
Way to go, BB!

The following user would like to thank Ray Dolor for his or her post:
bankerboy