It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:52 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 491 thanks
Received: 481 thanks
I might be purchasing my first full squishy in the near future and am considering these two bikes, primarily because of performance and reasonable price. I already did a search on STR and MTBR, but wanted to know your thoughts on these bikes because you are men of distinction and have opinions I respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:11 pm 
Loco Artist
Loco Artist

Given: 73 thanks
Received: 158 thanks
wow on going debate....I had this issue someone else did as well...what kid of riding will you be doing?? There is also the Trance X which kinda falls in between....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:14 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9432 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
pretty sure ec liked his. but he's on a hardtail 29er now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:16 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 658 thanks
Received: 461 thanks
i think the trance would be a better "all mountain" type bike. the reign is damn heavy. borderline freerider IMO. trance x would be the best bang for the buck, cheapest with one with a fox fork : )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:42 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

JusThai wrote:
wow on going debate....I had this issue someone else did as well...what kid of riding will you be doing?? There is also the Trance X which kinda falls in between....

Just your typical xc riding....with some downhill thrown in, nothing too gnarly. I'd like a bike that's a decent climber too and I hear the Trance has the edge on that.

Is an All Mountain bike the same thing as a "trail" bike? Is it just me or is the term "All Mountain" super ghey?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:46 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9432 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
Phonger wrote:
JusThai wrote:

Just your typical xc riding....with some downhill thrown in, nothing too gnarly. I'd like a bike that's a decent climber too and I hear the Trance has the edge on that.

Is an All Mountain bike the same thing as a "trail" bike? Is it just me or is the term "All Mountain" super ghey?

AFAIK, trail bike == all mountain. It should be able to climb and descend well without specializing in either.

Why Giant?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:50 pm 
Loco Artist
Loco Artist

haha, an all mountain bike is one tha tclimbs well and has good travel. If you dont Huck off of giant rocks Id vote the Trance, I have an 05 Trance with aPike up front, so the angle is more for descending, but because of the Uturn function on the Pike the bike quickly changes to more of a climbing bike. Its 4.2 in the rear is stable when pedaling, and is active will going though bumps, its one of my favorite bikes...That Maestro is brilliant. and the Pike with a 20mm thru axle kicks some serious trail but...I think at most I would up grade to a Trance X, even though the Reign makes my mouth water, I dont see myself hitting big bear or Mammoth anytime soon. From all you have said it sounds like the Trance might be for you....

Another option is 29er...muahahahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:00 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 658 thanks
Received: 461 thanks
true, the market lingo is ghey, because one brand's AM bike is equivalent to another's freeride bike. trail/all moutain is kind of the jack of all trades, master of none bike. usually about 5" travel and a bit heavier than xc bikes.

I think most will agree it depends on weight and suspension travel.

0"-4" - cross country, jumper, urban, 4x, dual slalom, slopestyle (depending on frame architecture)

5"-6" - trail/all mountain

6"-8" - freeride

8" or more - Downhiller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:02 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Thanks Thai, very helpful. I hear great things about the Maestro. As for the 29'er comment, I got a Monocog 29'er so I'd like something different.

To answer your question, Ldood, on why Giant, the answer is simple - it's affordable. You can find deals for Trance2 and Reign for under 2k which is my pricepoint. Giant is not as sexy as some of the other "hot" brands right now but reviews for Trance/Reign are generally very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:16 pm 
Loco Artist
Loco Artist

look into the Trance X, an 08, they are pretty light and I heard really nice things about them, at 5 inches in the rear it should take on most trails you ride. Many underestimate Giant, Socalers ride expensive bikes, I live near Aliso and the 3K bikes are all over the place. Now if only Giant made a Niner FS....hmmm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:41 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11836 thanks
Received: 7008 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
Another vote for the Trance X.
Like Thai said, everyone underestimates the Giants, but that Maestro suspension is no slouch...no chain growth, very efficient, and plush linear feel. Nowadays 5" is the best bet for for aggressive XC/Allmountain/Trail. 4-6 years ago 4" was a major accomplishment, but with 5", and suspension sysytems as efficient as they are these days, it is the best all around travel for what "we" do. Of course racing is another story...minimal travel, super stiff, not comfy, stretched out, hunched over....blecht!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:27 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 27 thanks
Received: 265 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Reign X1, Niner AIR 9
Favorite Trails: LC, NC, FOMBA, HP, BHs
Dude- My 2005 Reign was the best bike I've ever owned. If I were you, I'd go Trance X for sure. Its got most of the bene's of the Reign, but lighter.

My only qualm with the Reign was the weight. I ride on Wednesdays with a dude on a brand new Trance X, and he loves it. Great value too.