Post subject: Small Tri-canyon run
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:38 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 394 thanks
Received: 430 thanks
Bike(s): 08 Trance X2-shes a beast!
Favorite Trails: Noble, ATT, 56, No Dig No Ride
So I got my ass up this morning and finally went riding this week. I guess I was just being lazy all week, and it felt great to get out today. Started around 830 or so I want to say, but I wasn't keeping track just taking my time getting out the door trying not to forget anything. I was really hoping to get on the trail before the marine layer burned off, and I was suuuper stoked to have it with me all morning! I never even saw the sun ;) I went down Genesee from my house in Clairemont and parked in the parking lot next to the 52 freeway. I ride here a lot but I've never made it all the way around, following the 52 then the 5, then going into Rose canyon and all the way to 805 down south back the the 52 again. It's a big loop, but I wasn't sure if you could get passed the 805 cuz in my MTB guide of SD is says it's all military right there. Anyways I'll get to that later.

Started in the parking lot off Genesee under the 52

They are really starting to re-do a lot of different areas in the Clairemont canyons, putting in new plants and fencing off big plots. Looks good IMO

Nice section here after the regents road parking lot, still heading west

looking back on that section I just went through

You can really see the 5 and 52 freeways here, eye level with the cars when you are riding

then you have to drop all the way down into the gutter to get through to the next part of the trail

Looking down at the 5

Heading east now, a long flat boring fire road, BUT I think if I was north of the railroad tracks it would be single track. I will explore there next time I do this ride. You can see they are re-doing this area too

Right under the 805 I saw two trains at once, right on time!

So then once I got under the 805 I wasn't sure if the book I had was right, and that the military could "confiscate my bike". Although I saw no signs and the fence was completely open to some sweet but short single track under the 805 I decided to head back under the 805 going west and hit up a small finger trail going south I saw before. I got to the top and it dumped me out on the street at a park, I rode to govener dr and then continued to Genesee and down the hill to my truck in the parking lot. Not quite all the way around, I want to go under the 805, go south and continue along the 805 until I hit the 52, and crawl under that back to the trail along the 52. I know it's do able and I went home and saw it pretty clearly on google. Next time I plan on taking that route cuz I talked to my dad and he told me it shouldn't be military right there especially if there are no signs and no fencing. We will see. I'm pretty sure people ride there all the time, I just wasn't sure and my book was making me nervous! Anyway good ride, took a little longer than usual with the camera but it was worth it. Hope you liked the pictures, I'll get more next time I make the ride all the way around! Peace

The following 6 users would like to thank thrillride for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, FatWhat?, Ld00d, Pillow Pants, Red Hot Sloth, tsinillas
 Post subject: Re: Small Tri-canyon run
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:54 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11836 thanks
Received: 7008 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
That is a great Treaders Report thrillride, thanks for contributing!
Looks like you had a great time and hit some sweet singletrack.
:thumbsup:

The following 2 users would like to thank Red Hot Sloth for his or her post:
FatWhat?, thrillride
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:29 pm 
Bajacabra
Bajacabra

Given: 7412 thanks
Received: 7175 thanks
Bike(s): Turner 5 Spot
Favorite Trails: SART, Thounder Mtn,Sweetwater
Nice pictures, I've done that loop and under the 805 freeway but is a bit tricky since there is barely enough space to walk or should I say crawl under the freeway but that's what makes it interesting, thanks for posting your ride.

The following user would like to thank bajamtnbkr for his or her post:
FatWhat?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:15 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 139 thanks
Received: 214 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Trance X
Favorite Trails: are the ones that are dirty!
I haven't rode that trail in years!!!! Thanks for the post.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:52 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 658 thanks
Received: 461 thanks
Kudos on a great ride report! I still haven't ridden tri-canyons. Definitely on my list.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:12 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11836 thanks
Received: 7008 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
What kind of mileage and elevation gain can be put together there? It might be one of the places for Treaders ride with a well put together linked set of trails...who's gonna set it up?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:17 pm 
Bajacabra
Bajacabra

Is an interesting ride under 805, not a lot of milage, maybe 12 to 15? But the key is to go on the side singletracks off the main trail and then it can be fun.
That was actually my first STR ride with Offrodie and b5driver and GP Pilot and a couple of more but I had done it before.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:54 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

It can be a fun ride, I went to LPQ on sunday and wow how boring.....Or did I miss something? TONS of fire road, I saw a nice waterfall and there was a SMALL downhill section that was kind of sick. Reminded me of noble.

Anyway there were too many signs saying no MTB only horses or whatever and that was a bust. At least the tri-canyon run has no signs saying not to rampage! And many single track lines that can be fun and very visually stimulating. Also I want to ride it soon again so I can make it all the way around past the 805 because I know it's not illegal and I know it's do able. Can't wait, when we going???

The following user would like to thank thrillride for his or her post:
FatWhat?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:08 pm 
Bajacabra
Bajacabra

thrillride wrote:
It can be a fun ride, I went to LPQ on sunday and wow how boring.....Or did I miss something? TONS of fire road, I saw a nice waterfall and there was a SMALL downhill section that was kind of sick. Reminded me of noble.

Anyway there were too many signs saying no MTB only horses or whatever and that was a bust. At least the tri-canyon run has no signs saying not to rampage! And many single track lines that can be fun and very visually stimulating. Also I want to ride it soon again so I can make it all the way around past the 805 because I know it's not illegal and I know it's do able. Can't wait, when we going???

If you didn't ride "Tunnels" then didn't ride LPQ, there is a lot to ride there and most of it off the main trail but I let our resident LPQ expert aka Ld00d collaborate.

The following 2 users would like to thank bajamtnbkr for his or her post:
FatWhat?, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:14 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9422 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
Yeah, the main canyon is not where it's at. Join us next time we're out there. We'll show you where the fun is. I don't remember the last time I rode all of that fire road on the south side.

This proves a point: just telling someone how to get to a trail assuming they know the starting point isn't enough to ruin it for everyone else like some folks on that other site would intimate...

The following 2 users would like to thank Ld00d for his or her post:
FatWhat?, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:34 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Yea I mean I was ultimately looking for tunnels but couldn't figure out where to go, no site indicates it neither does my SD MTB book. I started off at the softball fields, and we got about 5 miles into the canyon ALL fire road. We road up to the north on a large hill, and I thought maybe if I go further it will be del mar mesa?? Maybe the tunnels section everyones talking about? But we didn't go all the way up the hill just about half way and road back down, then back to the softball fields.

So does anyone wanna message me how to get to tunnels or do I have to wait and ride with someone to find out ;) ??

The following 2 users would like to thank thrillride for his or her post:
FatWhat?, Red Hot Sloth