Post subject: SD ride coming up soon
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:18 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 394 thanks
Received: 430 thanks
Bike(s): 08 Trance X2-shes a beast!
Favorite Trails: Noble, ATT, 56, No Dig No Ride
This is Quoted from Socaltrailriders.com we are trying to get the SD riders together for a ride in a few weeks. Hope to see ya there, but please try and make sure you see any updates on their site for this ride. Thanks!

Quote:
After reading the "Where All San Diego Riders Gone???" thread last week and seeing the overall reaction, I thought it would be fun to have an "All San Diego Chapter STR Group Ride." I'm not sure STR has had had a large SD group ride since the Saldanas Ride, so I think we're overdue.

The purpose of this post is to make the suggestion and solicit general thoughts from the San Diego STR community. Once we reach some kind of consensus, I'll post it up as an official ride.

After studying a map of the county, and looking at the calendar, my suggestion is that we do the ride at Sycamore Canyon (Santee), at starting at 8:30 am, on Saturday July 26th from the Mast/Medina trailhead. That gives us just under three weeks to get organized. Also, depending on people's thoughts about temperature, we may be better of starting slightly earlier to beat the heat.

Sycamore is the most central location in the county I could find with the exception of maybe LPQ, and there are enough issues with LPQ that I don't think taking (what I hope to be) a huge group of riders through there is a good idea.

Sycamore is freeway close, fairly central, and has adequate parking options with the Mast/Medina dirt lot and spillover parking at West Hills High School.

Sycamore also offers options for multiple levels of riders. I envision the expert group ride including the switchbacks, Martha's Grove, and even Cardiac. The intermediate ride could include Martha's and back, and the beginner group could ride to Gooden Ranch and back.

This ride could be as big or as basic as we want. I don't have a lot of connections with local shops or SDMBA, but those who do have those connections are encouraged to tap those resources to gauge their interest in partnering with this event/ride. If we can incorporate a raffle or something to enhance the event, great. If not, we can still just have a fun, basic group ride.

It would also be nice to have a BBQ or some other social gathering afterwards to hang out and get to know one another better. I don't know if it would be possible (or advisable) to do something like that in the dirt lot off Mast, so it would be great if someone has any suggestions in that regard. Maybe a post-ride gathering at the Santee Lakes area just down the street would work? (We could even maybe stage the ride itself from there and ride to the trailhead, its that close. It has parking and picnic areas that might work quite well.)

As someone who has been a part of STR for a little while, but still less time than many, I don't intend to be presumptuous by being the one to suggest this ride.

However, I've benefited tremendously from the friendships and resources provided through this website, and with the current climate being a little off-kilter, thought it would be nice to have a large gathering where we put faces to screen names and further develop the friendships that have already been created.

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions, and look forward to riding with as many of the San Diego folks as possible sometime soon either way.

See ya everyone!

The following 4 users would like to thank thrillride for his or her post:
amor587, bajamtnbkr, Ld00d, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:37 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 830 thanks
Received: 521 thanks
Bike(s): Fat Possom
Favorite Trails: The next one
Perfect day to bust out the dirt treaders shirts

The following 2 users would like to thank FatWhat? for his or her post:
Ld00d, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:07 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

indeed no complaint there right?? Even though its a different site, its a bike ride for SD riders and were just trying to get everyone together! Peace hope to see some interest!

The following 2 users would like to thank thrillride for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, Ld00d
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:50 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9422 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
couldn't agree more.

The following user would like to thank Ld00d for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:39 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11836 thanks
Received: 7008 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
July 26th aye?
I'll see what I can do, might be able to do it, depends on the kiddo's.
Dirt Treaders shirts!!!!
:domo: :domo: :domo:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:15 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Make sure you check, or I will try to update you all frequently on the plan changes and really theres already been some I think.....First off everyones talking about going earlier, and still unsure on a meeting spot. But there seems like theres going to be a BBQ afterwards.

Not sure if they will actually change the date, but I found out the had been a ride previously scheduled on the 26th for Bonita! I can't wait since I just saw all the pictures today. I think there meeting at the performance bike on Bonita plza rd? around 9 but I will make sure of that.

So if they don't change the date I will be going on the Bonita ride, if they do change it then both! I am going to try and ride further and more before the rides just to get in shape a little more. See ya everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:40 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11836 thanks
Received: 7008 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
thrillride wrote:
So if they don't change the date I will be going on the Bonita ride, if they do change it then both! I am going to try and ride further and more before the rides just to get in shape a little more. See ya everyone!

If you haven't ridden with these guys from down south yet....you are in for a real treat when you finally do. Well, you've seen some of the pics, that only tells you half of the story which is that they have an abundance of trails that are awesome. The other half of the story is the guys that ride there. they are all great guys and great riders. They are some of the most gracious hosts I have ever had the good fortune to ride with. I honestly can't say enough great things about them all, just an overall great crew/group of riders willing to share their treasures with everyone.

Last edited by Red Hot Sloth on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank Red Hot Sloth for his or her post:
FatWhat?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:26 pm 
Bajacabra
Bajacabra

Given: 7412 thanks
Received: 7175 thanks
Bike(s): Turner 5 Spot
Favorite Trails: SART, Thounder Mtn,Sweetwater
Thanks Sloth, the check is in the mail :D

Red Hot Sloth wrote:
thrillride wrote:

If you haven't ridden with these guys from down south yet....you are in for a real treat when you finally do. Well, you've seen some of the pics, that only tells you have of the story which is that they have an abundance of trails that are awesome. The other half of the story is the guys that ride there. they are all great guys and great riders. They are some of the most gracious hosts I have ever had the good fortune to ride with. I honestly can't say enough great things about them all, just an overall great crew/group of riders willing to share their treasures with everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:10 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9422 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
Yeah, I'd rather hit up Bajacabra's stuff than sweat it out in Sycamore.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:57 am 
Bajacabra
Bajacabra

Given: 7412 thanks
Received: 7175 thanks
Bike(s): Turner 5 Spot
Favorite Trails: SART, Thounder Mtn,Sweetwater
Ld00d wrote:
Yeah, I'd rather hit up Bajacabra's stuff than sweat it out in Sycamore.

That will be the day that will go in history: Ld00d driving somewhere south of Highway 52!! Is ok Brian you won't need a passport :lol:

The following 3 users would like to thank bajamtnbkr for his or her post:
amor587, Ld00d, Red Hot Sloth