Obsessed

Given: 23228 thanks
Received: 17283 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Trail Etiquette Tips from an Old Burnout

Mike Ferrentino
Jun 5, 2021

During a conversation with a friend a couple weeks ago, the notion of behavioral de-evolution came up. We were talking about trail etiquette, and how it seems these days as if it no longer really exists. People are, by and large, turning into assholes out on the trail.
As the old saying goes, opinions are like assholes; everyone’s got one. Well, this asshole here is of the opinion that shit is indeed getting weird out on the trails. Covid-19 has caused an explosion of new users EVERYWHERE, the e-bike has arrived in full force, mapping technology has made bold explorers out of the tamest suburbanites, and other technologies have turned many of us into self-absorbed douchebags.
Given the increase in recreational use of public lands, it’s fair to assume that more people than ever are competing for access to this finite resource. There are more hikers, more equestrians, more trail runners, more dog walkers, more trail-running and dog-walking and off-road-baby-stroller-pushing hyper-zealous parents—more people. Period. Being crowded is something that Americans have never done very well (cue up “Don’t fence me in” on the gramophone and remember fondly the range wars of yesteryear). We wear entitlement like a birthright. We are bad at sharing. And, it seems, rather than learn to share (invoking that dreaded word “compromise”) we are much more proficient at trying to evict other user groups and engaging in cultural turf wars. But that does not mean we should not try to better ourselves.

To that end, even though it will almost certainly fall on deaf ears, or ears that are wearing earbuds, or ears that can’t hear because some jerk is running their portable speaker too loud three feet away, I have compiled a short list of trail etiquette suggestions for these confusing times. These are mostly germane to mountain biking, but the general message applies to all of us. Not that I expect anyone to listen. See above. Why am I bothering to enlist in this almost certainly futile attempt at social enlightenment? Good question. I’m an optimist. An asshole, but an optimist. Who died and put me in charge? Nobody. But I’m just sitting here, punching away at the glowing screen, waiting for my dropper post to bleed itself, so assembling a list seems like as good a use of my time as any right now. I’ve got the time to kill and the ax to grind. Here are some tips on how not to be an asshole on the trail:

Rule 1: Don’t be an asshole
Assholes are genderless, just like opinions. So anyone can be one. Don’t be one. It’s that simple. Or, it should be that simple. The easiest way to avoid being an asshole out on the trail is to not be an asshole out on the trail. In an ideal world, this shouldn’t have to be spelled out any further, but it’s not an ideal world, is it? Not by a long-fucking-shot.
Oh, word of warning. There might be some profanity.

Rule 2: Yield to climbing traffic
Unless you’re in a bike park, that age-old custom of giving the climbing rider the right of way still deserves to be honored. Climbing is hard. Descending, not so much. Strava doesn’t change that. E-bikes don’t change that. A million little turdfaces being shuttled by their parent-enablers doesn’t change that. “I didn’t want to mess up my flow” is not an acceptable excuse. Pull over for people coming up the trail. Actually stop, get to the side, and wait for them to pass. At least make the effort. Many uphillers will hear you coming and will already be pulled over when you get to them. When this happens, slow down, thank them profusely, and tell them if there’s anyone else in your group behind you. If you just blow past, you’re being an asshole.

Rule 3: Say hi
Yeah, that’s right. Say hi. To everyone. It’s not that hard. Just wave, nod, or say hi. You know who generally doesn’t say hi back? Pinché mountain bikers. Everyone else, even hikers who don’t like me being in their sacred space, can manage some sort of greeting. Mountain bikers generally exude an air of being too damn cool to say hi. If you say hi, good for you. If you don’t, you know who and what you are.

Rule 4: You are not your Strava stats
Racing is awesome. I encourage everyone who ever has slung a leg over a bike to toe the line at some point and understand the transcendent pain and beauty that can come from entering that arena. Strava is not the same as racing. Nor should people treat Strava segments with same unleashed tunnel vision that they get to throw down on a closed course. Strava is a tool. It can make you a better athlete, a better racer. But Strava is not racing. Treating public trails like personal racecourses? That’s what assholes do.

Rule 5: Don’t be an asshole
Maybe if I repeat it often enough someone will hear it.

Rule 6: Keep singletrack single
First coined as a phrase out on the 18 road trails north of Fruita, Colorado, this applies everywhere. Don’t make cheater lines to go around mudholes or jumps or things that scare you. Don’t blow out corners. Don’t bypass switchbacks. Don’t create a braided riverbed of trail entrances and exits. Just. Stay. On. The. Damn. Trail. Please.

Rule 7: Don’t blow up the spot
This is probably the most futile don’t-be-an-asshole request ever, but it must be said. If you are being shown some secret goods somewhere, shut the devices down and keep that secret secret. This is contentious and weird, because if we are talking about public lands, we are talking about non-sanctioned trails, and with that comes all sorts of legal, political, and social baggage. But “social trails” have existed since long before mountain bikes came along, and have often eventually been assimilated into bigger-picture trail plans, so it is naïve to assume that they aren’t going to continue to be built on the down-low. If you are privy to that down-low, keep it that way. No Strava. No Instagram posts and map locations. No photos. Resist the urge to participate in the ongoing social media experiment in cultural narcissism. Do Not Be An Asshole.

Rule 8: Your music sucks
And that shitty little Bluetooth speaker that you’re pumping it through makes it suck more. I don’t want to hear it. Neither does anyone else. The only people who would assume that everyone else would be stoked to listen to their rolling personal jukebox would be sociopaths or narcissists. Sociopaths and narcissists are also known as assholes. They’re everywhere these days. Try not to add to the pile.

Rule 9: Just because you’re on an e-bike…
That doesn’t mean you have to be an asshole. People who are not on e-bikes really don’t appreciate getting spun up on from behind and then passed in tight singletrack. It’s startling. People who are not on e-bikes might also not have a ton of available breath to have a conversation with you about how awesome your new e-bike is while you tire-buzz them up a climb. Riding an e-bike is fine and good. But there’s not a lot of room for self-righteousness there. Mountain bikers already have an excess of that. A little humility and respect goes a long way.

Rule 10: “Charlie, attempt to be cool…”
Nobody gets my movie references, so this line isn’t worth explaining, but it’s from a gem of a movie called Something Wild, starring Melanie Griffith and Jeff Daniels, that’s worth the watch. The phrase used to be our code for telling people to try and be a little bit discreet when getting naked in the parking lot as they transitioned from Lycra to civilian clothes. The parking lot superman act is a lot less common these days, but the sentiment still pertains. We may think what we are doing is cool, contagious fun. The rest of the world may not see it the same way. Try to bear that in mind when congregating (should congregating ever be a thing again) in large groups at trailheads.
Charlie, attempt to be cool. Don’t be an asshole.

The following 9 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
avidtest, Big Clyde, Dirt Pedaller, Dirtrider, GForce, mtbchip, Ray Dolor, Spotter, tfitz
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:35 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 186 thanks
Received: 101 thanks
Bike(s): Yeti SB95C, Yeti SB95
Favorite Trails: Los Gatos to Noble
That's a powerful post ODDan. May I share it with my email group? If yes, I will provide attribution if you like, or not, if you'd rather not.

Thanks very much for taking the time,
Cliff

The following user would like to thank Dirt Pedaller for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:42 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 186 thanks
Received: 101 thanks
Bike(s): Yeti SB95C, Yeti SB95
Favorite Trails: Los Gatos to Noble
I share this with our email group annually as a reminder:

Time to update our Mountain Bike Trail Etiquette:

We are a social riding group. Our goal is for our riders to make it to the after party as safely and stoked as possible. That doesn't mean that we don't take risks, but we take risks at our own expense not at the expense of another rider's safety. Here's the list that we expect riders in our group to comply with:

Mountain Bike Trail Etiquette 

Riding together – We look out for each other. We do not leave riders behind. 

When we invite a new rider to join us for the ride, we personally ensure that they make it safely through the ride. Please do not invite someone to ride with us that you do not know personally.

If the group we are riding with is consistently waiting for us, we ride with a slower group.

Maintenance – We will all wait for someone to handle a mechanical on the trail because we do not leave anyone behind. We do our best to ensure that our bike is ready to ride before we arrive at the trail head to greatly reduce the odds of having problems on the trail. 

Self-sufficiency – We do our best to ensure we have all the equipment and supplies we need to enjoy the ride safely. 

Starting on time – We all look forward to riding. We do try to start promptly at the announced "rolling time". It is important that we get to the trail head and gear up by the start time to avoid cutting into the group’s ride time.

Intersections – We ensure that the person behind us knows which direction to turn at each intersection, even if we have to stop to wait for them. 

Regroups – We regroup periodically to make sure everyone has made it. 

Technical trails or feature etiquette – If we have to stop while attempting a trail or feature, we move quickly out of the way, yielding right of way to those still riding. 

Hazards - Riders behind us may not be able to see up the trail. Ride heads up. It is helpful to identify obstacles such as riders and hikers approaching, low branches, fallen trees, holes, and large rocks. Shout and gesture to identify the hazard where possible. 

Sharing the trail – Sharing the trail is a very important part of our riding experience. As Mt. bikers, it is our responsibility to yield right of way to hikers and equestrians.

When approaching or overtaking any other trail user it is in our best interest to be respectful and even courteous.

When approaching another trail user coming towards us, we move to the right side of the trail where possible. We slow to be courteous and to allow safe passage. We indicate how many riders are following us. When overtaking another trail user, we announce that we are approaching by voice or with a bell.

When approaching an equestrian, it is very important to do so with as much warning as possible, very slowly and even dismounting. Horses may be easily frightened by bicycles. 

When it is necessary to stop on the trail, we move off the trail to not impede other trail users.

Downhill riders yield right of way to uphill riders.

Leave adequate space between you and the rider in front of you so that if they must stop quickly, you will be able to, as well.

If you do have to stop quickly, announce it to those behind you. "Stopping!!!" 

We offer aid to trail users who look like they need help.

We do not alter trail features and we pick up after ourselves.

We respect trail flora and fauna. 

These behaviors will help everyone enjoy the ride and provide the best chance for continuing trail access for all of us. 

The following 4 users would like to thank Dirt Pedaller for his or her post:
avidtest, Big Clyde, mtbchip, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:53 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 1803 thanks
Received: 1299 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt
“People are, by and large, turning into assholes out on the trail.” ODD

Not me man!

Been an asshole as long as I can remember.

I hate change.

The following 6 users would like to thank Spotter for his or her post:
avidtest, Big Clyde, Dirtrider, mtbchip, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:04 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Dirt Pedaller wrote:
That's a powerful post ODDan. May I share it with my email group? If yes, I will provide attribution if you like, or not, if you'd rather not.

Thanks very much for taking the time,
Cliff

Yes, to be clear, this is a 2021 opinion piece by Mike Ferrentino, not me, and definitely should be attributed to him as he makes his living by writing. I copied and pasted it with his byline, as it’s easier to read that way than following a link sometimes is. Mike used to write a great column in Bike magazine called Blame the Dog, but when Bike got bought out, he went to Beta, and I saw this online from Outside, once long ago a good outdoor magazine, which has become a ravenous beast attempting to devour the competition in all things outdoors. I blame the rain for me posting this instead of riding.

The following 3 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Dirtrider, mtbchip, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:16 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Spotter wrote:
“People are, by and large, turning into assholes out on the trail.” ODD

Not me man!

Been an asshole as long as I can remember.

I hate change.

I don’t disagree with you. :lol: You are right once again. :cheers:
But I do disagree somewhat with Ferrentino — personally I think the assholes have always been there as a certain percentage of the population, but now there are more mountain bikers thus more assholes. And their voices are amplified in social media.

The following 3 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Dirtrider, mtbchip, Spotter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:42 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 6166 thanks
Received: 6399 thanks
Bike(s): mango. pivot. chumba
Favorite Trails: san jaun. arizona trails
I have run into some unfriendly people. I stop for everyone so don’t encounter much drama. Nice for you to get the message out.

The following 4 users would like to thank tfitz for his or her post:
Dirtrider, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor, Spotter
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:03 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5205 thanks
Received: 1036 thanks
Bike(s): invisible ones
Favorite Trails: Whatever is left...
Good thread, but so far I see no comments on proper etiquette at a Safety Meeting?

The following user would like to thank Ray Dolor for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:13 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 356 thanks
Received: 550 thanks
Bike(s): I like bikes
Favorite Trails: Any
Just keep safety in the top 3

The following 2 users would like to thank J.A.M. for his or her post:
OldDogDan, Ray Dolor