deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
From MTBR

new fangled citation at Noble

after a nice ride yesterday we got back to the cars and found a $55 ticket from United States District Court for a '36CFR 261.17". They had my name, address, stats, the whole nine yards! No more mention of buying a pass to negate the ticket or sending in your Adventure Pass serial number if you forgot to display it (which I did.) Looks like they're playing hardball now

anyone have any experience or contact info for getting Adv Pass info to some agency (FS?)
Not trying to weasel out of doing the footwork myself here, just wanted to see if anyone else has any experience with this. Any yes, my own dumb fault for failing to display my pass but WOW - $55 !!! p.s. this was not the phony tickets they've been issuing for the last 10years

-shannon scott
san diego

Last edited by bankerboy on Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
2 Wheels
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:55 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 587 thanks
Received: 625 thanks
Bike(s): Intense M9
Favorite Trails: Noble, Sycamore, Stonewall
I got one of those tickets back in 2007. No mention of $5 or sending in the Pass#. Just a $45 fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:17 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 442 thanks
Received: 2590 thanks
Bike(s): RIP9, Nomad
Favorite Trails: Backcountry
Just to clarify the confusing title, it should read "Adventure Pass Citations in National Forest", which is where Noble resides. Adventure Passes are not vaild in state lands, i.e. Cuyamaca S.P. Considering the $5 fine wasn't much of a deterrent, I'm not surprised if they upped the penalty. It will make you think twice of leaving home without your pass or get a daily pass.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:37 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1848 thanks
Received: 2498 thanks
Favorite Trails: 3
This is messed up. I would contact the place where you are to send your fine and see what the hell is going on. If you have a pass and forgot to put it out, then you shouldn't pay a dime. On the other hand if someone doesn't have a pass, and was trying to save a few bucks, then they deserve the fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:07 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
GP_pilot wrote:
Just to clarify the confusing title, it should read "Adventure Pass Citations in National Forest", which is where Noble resides. Adventure Passes are not vaild in state lands, i.e. Cuyamaca S.P. Considering the $5 fine wasn't much of a deterrent, I'm not surprised if they upped the penalty. It will make you think twice of leaving home without your pass or get a daily pass.

Fixed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:10 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 587 thanks
Received: 625 thanks
Bike(s): Intense M9
Favorite Trails: Noble, Sycamore, Stonewall
abzillah wrote:
This is messed up. I would contact the place where you are to send your fine and see what the hell is going on. If you have a pass and forgot to put it out, then you shouldn't pay a dime. On the other hand if someone doesn't have a pass, and was trying to save a few bucks, then they deserve the fine.

If a person with a disabled placard parks in the handicap spot but doesn't post the placard, they get a parking ticket (at least that's how it's supposed to work). My dad did that once, promptly heading over to the police station with his placard in hand to get it signed off. They explained to him that if it were a safety equipment or registration citation then they could sign off on the ticket, but parking infractions and traffic violations cannot be treated like "fix it" tickets.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:34 am 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

Given: 366 thanks
Received: 764 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Trance
Favorite Trails: Anything with dirt
noissiM wrote:
abzillah wrote:
This is messed up. parking infractions and traffic violations cannot be treated like "fix it" tickets.

Unless you work for the DA's office that is …

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:29 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 48 thanks
Received: 41 thanks
Favorite Trails: Sweetwater
It seems bogus to me we should be charged to use public lands in the first place, but Congress passed the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act in 2004 so it looks like we're stuck with it for now.

I did a couple searches and found some info on the fees.

http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/program ... ation.html

There are 11 prohibitions on fees. The ones that apply to the typical user of National Forests:

* Solely for parking, undesignated parking, or picnicking along roads or trailsides.
* For general access unless specifically authorized under this section.
* For dispersed areas with low or no investment unless specifically authorized under this section.
* For persons who are driving through, walking through, boating through, horseback riding through, or hiking through Federal recreational lands and waters without using the facilities and services.
* For camping at undeveloped sites that do not provide a minimum number of facilities and services as described in subsection (g)(2)(A).
* For use of overlooks or scenic pullouts.

The forest service can get around this by
1) Clearing an area for parking, and
2) Putting in a Port-a-Potty, and
3) Putting in a trash can, and
4) Putting up an interpretive sign, and
5) Putting in a picnic table, and
6) Providing security services. (They probably interpret having a ranger driving by occasionally checking for adventure passes as providing security services.)

Charging for camping in a developed campground -- Yeah, I get it. Charging for parking on public land -- I'll be glad when this Adventure Pass law expires. (It's set to expire on December 8, 2014)