PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:23 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 115 thanks
Bike(s): Rocky II
Favorite Trails: Flagstaff, Moab/Fruita
Hi DTers,

I just saw on Cleveland Natl Forest website that Trabuco canyon road is closed due to rain damage. Does this include access for bikes?? I am wondering if it is still navigable by bike or if the rangers are allowing it.

Along that train of thought, I've just begun exploring up there- I've done up the San Juan trail with some exploring at the top to Bluejay and such. Recently I did up Harding Truck trail with the intention of riding the loop mtbbikebill has on his site- up HTT to Santiago Peak, down Holy Jim, Trabuco Canyon Rd for a 36 mile loop. But the weather was coming in (this was Tuesday and I didn't have a map so I just bombed back down the HTT).

So.. if anybody is up for some looonnnggg epic rides in the mountains (once the rain goes away and the roads/trails are dry and safe and the bunnies are out again so I don't make anyone mad :wink: ) it would be great to have a guide or some company. Or just some personal input on good big loops out thataways would be greatly appreciated!

Liz

Post subject: Re: Trabuco Canyon
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:38 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 20 thanks
Received: 46 thanks
Bike(s): 29r Rigid SS / 29r fixed gear
Favorite Trails: Dirt
We have a group that rides cuyamaca and noble area around once a weekend, averaging between 50and 60+ miles with varying elevation. Join us if you like. Tomorrow I am heading out to do the Oriflame canyon (tri-canyons) loop 2 maybe 3 times 30+ miles, going to stay off the single track so I don't tare it up.

I have not been to Trabuco canyon or the other areas you mentioned, but am always looking to ride new trails. :cheers:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:14 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7322 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
Trabuco Cr road was torn up pretty bad by the rain. I think they are still fixing the road, so the part past the Nat'l Forest boundary to the trailheads is closed to vehicles. It should be open to bikes, just be prepared for wet feet. The lower Holy Jim and Trabuco trailheads were not affected much by the rain so any longer route that goes down Holy Jim and back up Trabuco or vice versa would avoid needing to use the road.....something like up San Juan, down Trabuco, up HJ, Main divide, back down SJT.

There are a number of trails that have some nice steep sections that add a lot more options if you are into that kind of riding - Los pinos, Bell ridge, Coldwater, Smashface. But you don't want to hit these at the end of a really long ride as you want to be on your game, and you also don't want to ride them alone as they are more remote and don't see lots of traffic. There are some really good routes possible if you don't mind some steeps and some hike a bike.

Up Holy Jim, down Coldwater, up ITT, down HJ or Trabuco was one I wanted to do but put off due to the road damage/rain, and also because Coldwater is overgrown. I'd be down for a ride or two up there if you don't mind waiting around for me (slow). After next week I will be able to do some weekday rides with some notice, as well as weekends.

cvbeam, if you guys are liking the long Cuyamaca /noble rides with Barcy you would probably like the rides up in OC. All the climbing you would ever want to do, and lots (main divide) you don't...There are some fun trails up there. Hit them before it gets too hot!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:22 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 20 thanks
Received: 46 thanks
Bike(s): 29r Rigid SS / 29r fixed gear
Favorite Trails: Dirt
evdog:

If you know the trails well, lets set up a ride on a weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:34 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 272 thanks
Received: 362 thanks
Bike(s): Developing a damn quivvvvver!
Favorite Trails: Any with dirt!
Post the rides here if you don't mind an old man coming along.

:hello:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:41 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 6166 thanks
Received: 6399 thanks
Bike(s): mango. pivot. chumba
Favorite Trails: san jaun. arizona trails
Broke that is no old man. I would like to know the most fun way to link up joplin with holy jim when you guys are done.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:31 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 99 thanks
Received: 168 thanks
Bike(s): purple Hodaka Combat Wombat
Favorite Trails: the last one I was on!
cvbeam wrote:
We have a group that rides cuyamaca and noble area around once a weekend, averaging between 50and 60+ miles with varying elevation. Join us if you like. Tomorrow I am heading out to do the Oriflame canyon (tri-canyons) loop 2 maybe 3 times 30+ miles, going to stay off the single track so I don't tare it up.

I have not been to Trabuco canyon or the other areas you mentioned, but am always looking to ride new trails. :cheers:

CVB- I'm up for going up there; haven't ridden some of these routes and would like to check em too. I can speak from experience that the rigid mono will suck for Los Pinos: steep up, steep down and looser than Paris Hilton. I think the monos would be fun on SJT and similar though! I should be able to break away for some mid-week rides in the next 2 weeks- let's roll!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:36 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1973 thanks
Received: 1352 thanks
Bike(s): Mojo HD140, Niner One
Favorite Trails: Sierra High Route
Indian Truck trail is another way to access Trabuco and Holy Jim (from the east side). It is of my favorite routes for ease of access to the trailhead....a 60 mile romp up I-15 from Poway (hour from house to TH parking by the last housing development).....and it has climbing galore. Not much singletrack however, but what little there is....it is some of the best around, and the views are worth the pain.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6055&hilit=itt+trabuco

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:56 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7322 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
tfitz wrote:
Broke that is no old man. I would like to know the most fun way to link up joplin with holy jim when you guys are done.

Tom you could do this many ways depending how much your legs can handle and how much main divide you are willing to do. Some would be more fun than others...

Ride up Trabuco Cr road - Up Holy Jim - up Main divide - down Joplin - climb up out of Old Camp, down Santiago Truck trail, down Cadillac (fire road) which dumps you on Trabuco Creek Road.

Longer version: Up ITT, up Main divide (option - up Upper Holy Jim), down Joplin/STT/Cadillac, up Holy Jim, Main Divide to ITT or Coldwater.

The following user would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
tfitz
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:14 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 1313 thanks
Received: 2401 thanks
Favorite Trails: cactus to clouds
3blackbikes wrote:
Hi DTers,

So.. if anybody is up for some looonnnggg epic rides in the mountains (once the rain goes away and the roads/trails are dry and safe and the bunnies are out again so I don't make anyone mad :wink: ) it would be great to have a guide or some company. Or just some personal input on good big loops out thataways would be greatly appreciated!

Liz
great area, Im down for some miles out there. set up a date, sounds like we got a good group so far. I was thinking it would be awesome to climb nate harrison grade tomarrow morning in the rain. ...anyone?