All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:39 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 27 thanks
Received: 265 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Reign X1, Niner AIR 9
Favorite Trails: LC, NC, FOMBA, HP, BHs
Yes thats right, and I am buying a new Reign :twisted: .

The 29" wheels are great for flowey XC stuff... just so happens, there ain't much of that here. Think ATT, or lower Noble Canyon...everywhere. After eating it HARD on 5' drop that I know I coud've cleared on my Riegn, its time.

I will keep the 29er though. I still love it. I'll still ride it at least once a week, but for me, the format just doesn't make sense on the real technical shit.

Discuss.

:flame:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:49 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9422 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
I took a quick spin on Phonger's Redline the other day. Granted, I didn't go on the trail with it, but just the spin around the parking area, I noticed a little more momentum, but it didn't feel that different.

So, I've decided I'm not going to blow a whole bunch of money on a whole new bike just to give the big wheels a shot. I'm going to try to put some $$$ into my two bikes that I have (with the wife's nod of course :wave: ) and make them better.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:52 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 491 thanks
Received: 481 thanks
Choc,

I thought the area where you ride is just flat, woodsy stuff?

My goal is to have a 29 single-speed and 26 full squish for the gnar.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:57 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 830 thanks
Received: 521 thanks
Bike(s): Fat Possom
Favorite Trails: The next one
I keep 29er on the road and my 26' on the trail...but then again I've never tried a 9er on the trail....so I'm really just an idiot looking for attention :hello:

The following 2 users would like to thank FatWhat? for his or her post:
Ld00d, Pillow Pants
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:03 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Phonger wrote:
Choc,

I thought the area where you ride is just flat, woodsy stuff?

My goal is to have a 29 single-speed and 26 full squish for the gnar.

Nope, hilly rootty and super technical. Those pics I posted from NJ are nothing like the New England trails. New England was under a glacier during the last ice age, and when the glaciers receded, they deposited huge chunks of granite everywhere. I've heard Lynn Woods, which is right outstide Boston, described as "The Moab of the East".

Have you ridden World Cup at the top of ATT? Its illegal, and I don't condone that sort of behaviour, but WC is alot like 90% of the trails out here. Its super fun, but its really tight.

29er SS and 26 FS for the gnar is exactly what I'm doing. Good call!

The following user would like to thank Evil Chocula for his or her post:
FatWhat?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:04 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Ld00d wrote:
I took a quick spin on Phonger's Redline the other day. Granted, I didn't go on the trail with it, but just the spin around the parking area, I noticed a little more momentum, but it didn't feel that different.

So, I've decided I'm not going to blow a whole bunch of money on a whole new bike just to give the big wheels a shot. I'm going to try to put some $$$ into my two bikes that I have (with the wife's nod of course :wave: ) and make them better.

Buy nice wheels, best upgrade ever.

FatWhat?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:05 am 
Loco Artist
Loco Artist

Given: 73 thanks
Received: 158 thanks
why not get a http://www.ventanausa.com/frame_elcapitan.html you can convert it to a full 5 inches(new rocker), and with the new forks coming 29ers will be all mountain with pretty minimal travel, so you can climb ish better still. I would wait on the Reign(and you know I love Giant) to see how the new fully 2-9er are.

The following user would like to thank Pixelpusher for his or her post:
FatWhat?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:11 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

JusThai wrote:
why not get a http://www.ventanausa.com/frame_elcapitan.html you can convert it to a full 5 inches(new rocker), and with the new forks coming 29ers will be all mountain with pretty minimal travel, so you can climb ish better still. I would wait on the Reign(and you know I love Giant) to see how the new fully 2-9er are.

Its the wheel size, not the suspension. These trails are just super tight, twisty and rocky, with lots of drops. Its almost like trials.

I thought it was weird that I've met/seen at least hundred hard corp riders out here, and not one 29er!

However, the 29er would be perfect for just about everything I rode in Socal. Its hard to explain, the riding out here's almost like a different sport.

FatWhat?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:14 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 491 thanks
Received: 481 thanks
Im curious to see some a face-off between 26 full squish bikes vs. 29 full squish bikes. I'm with you Choc, I think the 3 inches less on a 26" bike make a difference in terms of providing more stability and having a lower center of gravity to tackle the gnar stuff. That may not be the case with higher end 29" bikes like Pivot or Jet 9.

Big wheels arent the best for everything!

The following user would like to thank Phonger for his or her post:
FatWhat?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:22 am 
Loco Artist
Loco Artist

Evil Chocula wrote:
JusThai wrote:

Its the wheel size, not the suspension. These trails are just super tight, twisty and rocky, with lots of drops. Its almost like trials.

I thought it was weird that I've met/seen at least hundred hard corp riders out here, and not one 29er!

However, the 29er would be perfect for just about everything I rode in Socal. Its hard to explain, the riding out here's almost like a different sport.

well thinking back on what I typed in a way if you are looking to hit drops, more travel is better, the the impact can not be absorbed by a simple change in wheel size. If you think on it the 29 wheel is good to roll over stuff, but on a drop its vertical impact, there is more force moving downwards, which only more travel can handle...so maybe the Reign is the way to go...heck get the Reign X if you are doing 5 foot drops :)

FatWhat?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:22 am 
Loco Artist
Loco Artist

Phonger wrote:
Im curious to see some a face-off between 26 full squish bikes vs. 29 full squish bikes. I'm with you Choc, I think the 3 inches less on a 26" bike make a difference in terms of providing more stability and having a lower center of gravity to tackle the gnar stuff. That may not be the case with higher end 29" bikes like Pivot or Jet 9.

http://www.Vassagocycles.com

check out their thoughts, and their "wetcat" geometry, Im also very curious about their 650B fully they are building.

FatWhat?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:33 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

JusThai wrote:
Phonger wrote:

http://www.Vassagocycles.com

check out their thoughts, and their "wetcat" geometry, Im also very curious about their 650B fully they are building.

Been there :mrgreen:. Almost bought one a year ago, chainstays are way too long for this b!tch. The 650b might be cool, but way too much trouble when I can get a deal on a Reign 1 now and just ride.

FatWhat?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:36 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

JusThai wrote:
Evil Chocula wrote:
JusThai wrote:

well thinking back on what I typed in a way if you are looking to hit drops, more travel is better, the the impact can not be absorbed by a simple change in wheel size. If you think on it the 29 wheel is good to roll over stuff, but on a drop its vertical impact, there is more force moving downwards, which only more travel can handle...so maybe the Reign is the way to go...heck get the Reign X if you are doing 5 foot drops :)

Its not the vertical impact, its the slow speed maneuvability of the wheels in tight terrain.

FatWhat?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:38 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 830 thanks
Received: 521 thanks
Bike(s): Fat Possom
Favorite Trails: The next one
All this back and forth I'm really learning a lot about 29ers. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:56 am 
Loco Artist
Loco Artist

Oh I was thinking about that because you stated as one of the reasons you wanted to go back to a long travel 26er. Maybe its your stem...too long? or are the switch backs over there just nutty? could just move back to SD !!!!

Having said all this Im still gonna keep a 26er around. regardless, since Im not nutty hucker guy, I wont need a Reign...

FatWhat?