Post subject: Rock Solid 29er fork
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:05 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2093 thanks
Received: 1460 thanks
Bike(s): Sirens: Song and John Henry
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca
Posting this on the singlespeed forum, as you crazies are the only ones like myself that would consider riding a rigid fork.

I bought a White Broothers Rock Solid 29er fork used several months ago from Craigs list. It is a big improvement over the crappy factory steel fork that came with my Haro Mary. But after a recent ride, I noticed some faint spider cracks in the top-coat. I have no idea if this also is cracked in the carbon.

I tried to take a good picture of where the crack is located. This is about 2/3 up the disc side fork leg, just above the long tail on the W in their logo:

I'm really not interested in a few rounds of creative dentistry. This scares me a bit too much to continue riding.

I contacted White Brothers regarding a crash replacement, but they want $200 for that. That's a bit rich for me. They do want this back to dissect it to look for failures, and will pay me to ship it to them. But I thought I would contact my fellow singlespeeders to see what you guys would do first.

A few options for responses come to mind... Let me know where you fall:
1) Suck it up and ride it... enjoy your pain when it fails
2) Return it to the manufacturer for dissection if you aren't going to ride it
3) Return it and pay for a crash refund you tightwad. I've paid more than that for annodized bits.
4) Give it to me... I'm not as big of a pussy as you are. I'll ride it until it fails.

Post subject: Re: Rock Solid 29er fork
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:13 pm 
Bandwidth Burglar
Bandwidth Burglar

Given: 1070 thanks
Received: 531 thanks
Bike(s): Sultan, 6 Pack, El Mar, 1x1
Favorite Trails: LOVE THEM ALL.
OhNooo wrote:
Posting this on the singlespeed forum, as you crazies are the only ones like myself that would consider riding a rigid fork.

I bought a White Broothers Rock Solid 29er fork used several months ago from Craigs list. It is a big improvement over the crappy factory steel fork that came with my Haro Mary. But after a recent ride, I noticed some faint spider cracks in the top-coat. I have no idea if this also is cracked in the carbon.

I tried to take a good picture of where the crack is located. This is about 2/3 up the disc side fork leg, just above the long tail on the W in their logo:

I'm really not interested in a few rounds of creative dentistry. This scares me a bit too much to continue riding.

I contacted White Brothers regarding a crash replacement, but they want $200 for that. That's a bit rich for me. They do want this back to dissect it to look for failures, and will pay me to ship it to them. But I thought I would contact my fellow singlespeeders to see what you guys would do first.

A few options for responses come to mind... Let me know where you fall:
1) Suck it up and ride it... enjoy your pain when it fails
2) Return it to the manufacturer for dissection if you aren't going to ride it I would recommend not riding it for your own saftey, and meanwhile go back to steel while you make up your mind.
3) Return it and pay for a crash refund you tightwad. I've paid more than that for annodized bits.
4) Give it to me... I'm not as big of a pussy as you are. I'll ride it until it fails.

The following user would like to thank Sultan Ali for his or her post:
OhNooo
 Post subject: Re: Rock Solid 29er fork
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:06 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 235 thanks
Received: 317 thanks
Bike(s): 29er and Trail Runners
Favorite Trails: Ones with beer at the end
I think that you are correct that it is superficial and just clear coat cracks. UV eats that for lunch. I would still get it looked at. Is there any flex (visible, not shock absorption)? Carbon won't flex unless the fibers have delaminated.

Short of sending it back, I would have a sailboat rigging shop look at it. (not a west marine, but someone on shelter island. There's a bunch of reputable guys there. I think Rigworks (http://www.rigworks.com/index.shtml) would be a good choice. I bet they'd be able to tell if it truly superficial or not, for less than $200.

Carbon is sketchy though, it can be fine one second and then the next second fail catastrophically.

Hope this helps

The following user would like to thank oldskool for his or her post:
OhNooo