All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:26 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 14 thanks
Received: 37 thanks
Bike(s): Norco Range, Dawes SS 29er
Favorite Trails: Iron Mtn, ATT, Ted Will
To date I've been an all mountain rider on a 42lb 6" full suspension bike.

However, I'm now interested in reaching out and augmenting my riding with something that presents a very different challenge. I'd like to get a 29" SS bike. I'm not looking to spend much (~$400). I don't need (and can't afford) the latest, lightest gear either.

At this point, I think my ideal would be a 29" bike with a decent 4" suspension fork, but that could change depending on the feedback I get from you who are experienced on a SS.

Any suggestions? I have no experience on a SS, but I think I could really get into it.

More specifically: Should I buy a frame and build it up? A complete used bike? What frames a good deal but not going fail prematurely? etc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:25 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2093 thanks
Received: 1460 thanks
Bike(s): Sirens: Song and John Henry
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca
I doubt you will get a 4" suspension fork at that price point. That's about retail on the fork alone.

I would look for a steel frame rigid 29er that fits you. They are all quite similar. There are different chain tensioner methods used for SS, with desirability in this order (my preference only):
1- Paragon sliders. Bullet proof. But usually only on high-end bikes which will be around $1K used.
2- EBB - tend to be squeaky and requires some maintenence. This is what I have.
3- Horizontal dropouts. You will need external nut tuggers to keep the rear wheel in place
4- Vertical dropouts. Requires a derailleur type of chain tensioner.

I would pick steel over Alu any day. Alu hardtails are brutal on your spine.

Good luck! Cruise craigs list for a few weeks and you should find something.

The following user would like to thank OhNooo for his or her post:
DirtyMartini
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:09 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 229 thanks
Received: 755 thanks
Bike(s): Trek EX8
Favorite Trails: hmmm, hmmm
DirtyMartini wrote:
To date I've been an all mountain rider on a 42lb 6" full suspension bike.

However, I'm now interested in reaching out and augmenting my riding with something that presents a very different challenge. I'd like to get a 29" SS bike. I'm not looking to spend much (~$400). I don't need (and can't afford) the latest, lightest gear either.

At this point, I think my ideal would be a 29" bike with a decent 4" suspension fork, but that could change depending on the feedback I get from you who are experienced on a SS.

Any suggestions? I have no experience on a SS, but I think I could really get into it.

More specifically: Should I buy a frame and build it up? A complete used bike? What frames a good deal but not going fail prematurely? etc

I was unsure about 29ers and SS, so a couple of years ago I bought a Redline Monocog rigid 29er for 400ish.

Still have it and it is one of my favorite bikes to ride. It is a solid bike, not light but solid and fun to ride. I don't ride it on all day rides but I ride it fairly often for non-climb fests.

You can add a suspension fork later or go ghetto and run the highest volume 29er tire at lower pressure.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:26 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 20 thanks
Received: 46 thanks
Bike(s): 29r Rigid SS / 29r fixed gear
Favorite Trails: Dirt
Best way to get into it on the cheap: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/bullseye.htm

Go rigid and try it if you don't like it find a fork on the cheap. I think you will be surprised how much responsiveness and feel you have with the rigid ride. Also with the 29er wheels they are very forgiving, and you can run low psi.

I have a Surly Karate Monkey and a Monocog Flight, Both great bikes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:10 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

cvbeam wrote:
Best way to get into it on the cheap: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/bullseye.htm

That's almost cheaper than stealing a bike. What a crazy low price!

If you turn out that you love SSing, then you could upgrade the wheels, brakes, and fork and have a great ride.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:26 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Those Dawes bikes are tempting, I'm confused about the frame geometry. The frame geometry seems to change as they cycle through the colors. Specially the head tube angle and the seat tube angle look much steeper on the green bike compared to the copper and grey.

Compared to the green frame, the red one almost looks like a dirt jump bike.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:42 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 2 thanks
Bike(s): 07 stumpy HT
Favorite Trails: just moved here
Maybe showing different sizes?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:04 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
i saw that too thought it was odd.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:09 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Any suggestions for gearing? The Dawes comes with a 2:1 ratio. That seems high on a 29er, especially if you plan to climb anything.

When I think of SSing I think of Sycamore Canyon, Daley Ranch, places like that.

What ratios do you guys suggest for an intermediate 18 speed rider starting out on SS?

The other strange thing about the Dawes bikes are that they say most riders choose a size such that they can clear the standover by at least 2". I"m 6'1" and inseams is 32.5" which according to the Dawes geometry would put me at a small or medium frame, which doesn't seem right. I've always been on the upper end of a large frame with past bikes. Any thoughts? Do the sizing rules change on a SS 29er?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:28 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 127 thanks
Received: 74 thanks
Bike(s): SS SIR9/surly crosscheck SS
Favorite Trails: all of them
Take a look at the GT peace, I seen them on jenson for around 475 and it comes with decent componets. You really dont need a 4 inch fork on a 29er bike its going to slow the steering down quite a bit. The big tires roll over rocks,roots and bumps good with only 80-100mm travel. Add a high volume tire like WTB weirwolf 2.55,Maxxis ardent 2.4 or Racing Ralph 2.4 with about 25psi and that plenty of cush. As far as gearing run it 32x 20 to start out. Ride it ridged you might just like it.

The following user would like to thank boone29er for his or her post:
cvbeam
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:19 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

THanks for the advice Booner,

It's good to know to avoid too big a fork.

Are you serious about 2.55 tires? I like the idea of using high volume tires to give the 29ers some squish, but I'd imagine SS 29ers don't run big wide (and heavy) DH rims, and it seems like 2.55 (or 2.4) tires would be unsupported and flop all around on a narrow XCish rim.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:00 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1973 thanks
Received: 1352 thanks
Bike(s): Mojo HD140, Niner One
Favorite Trails: Sierra High Route
DirtyMartini wrote:
THanks for the advice Booner,

It's good to know to avoid too big a fork.

Are you serious about 2.55 tires? I like the idea of using high volume tires to give the 29ers some squish, but I'd imagine SS 29ers don't run big wide (and heavy) DH rims, and it seems like 2.55 (or 2.4) tires would be unsupported and flop all around on a narrow XCish rim.

This Surly is not my bike, but is a good example of how rim weights and tires weights are virtually meaningless when singlespeeding. The 29 inch Wierwolf LT is listed at 2.55 but is more like 2.25, but works well as a front tire. The 29 inch Ardent 2.25 is beefier, and a good tire. At 6.1 you should be on a large frame.....wider bars and shorter stems are in vogue now anyhow.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:16 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
Well I only have half a 29'er, but I run either a Weirwolf 2.55lt or an Ardent 2.4 on the front and neither is really that big, nor floppy. They do make the 2.3's on my 26'er look small when I get back on that one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:49 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Thanks everyone for you help and input. I pulled the trigger on the Dawes Bullseye: the copper 19"

I'm kinda nervous and excited. I've never ridden a 29er or single speed but I'm looking forward to the totally different challenge it presents (compared to my 42lbs AM bike).

In your opinion, what are the best SS trails? I'm looking forward to sycamore. I guess Daley would be okay, and maybe Hodges. I live in Escondido, so whatever you can recommend I'm all ears.

:cheers:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:53 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

PQ is the best starter course for SS. But you'll spin out on the flats. Hodges is a great ride for SS to get the hang of it. Sycamore is a blast on SS, even if I have to stop on the way up switchbacks a few times to keep my lungs from bursting out of my chest. Daley was too steep for me and sucked on SS (but then again I'm weak). Cuyamaca is a great place for a long SS ride at altitude. And laguna meadows is perfect too.

I understand there's lots of good trails in south county, but I haven't ridden them yet.