It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:33 am 
Offline
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:07 pm
Posts: 825
Location: 5 Min from a tiny park with no trails.
Given: 20 thanks
Received: 879 thanks
Bike(s): TallBoy LT, Woodie, MB-2
Favorite Trails: Calavera, 5 min from house
Bottom line from last nights SDMBA meeting.

It's unlikely anything will change and potentially things will get worse as the Preservation Advocacy groups (something like 15 of them) are working to get funding to help the Preservation.

One interesting note is that CDFW is partly funded by Hunting and Fishing Permits....... So do your part and don't buy a hunting or fishing license!!!

Oh and another statement from Nyguard that was shared basically said she would even have the 2 boundary fire roads restricted from all use.


Top
 Profile  
 
The following user would like to thank 325racer for his or her post:
Big Clyde
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:37 pm 
Offline
Participant
Participant
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:54 pm
Posts: 54
Given: 22 thanks
Received: 44 thanks
Bike(s): Intense Spider 275
Favorite Trails: Skid Marks - Mammoth
325racer wrote:
Oh and another statement from Nyguard that was shared basically said she would even have the 2 boundary fire roads restricted from all use.


The access roads that SDGE and the Carlsbad Water Authority uses?

Yeah, fat chance of those getting shut down... lol

Nothing is going to change.


Top
 Profile  
 
The following 2 users would like to thank klurejr for his or her post:
Kimba, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:52 pm 
Offline
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:07 pm
Posts: 825
Location: 5 Min from a tiny park with no trails.
Given: 20 thanks
Received: 879 thanks
Bike(s): TallBoy LT, Woodie, MB-2
Favorite Trails: Calavera, 5 min from house
klurejr wrote:
325racer wrote:
Oh and another statement from Nyguard that was shared basically said she would even have the 2 boundary fire roads restricted from all use.


The access roads that SDGE and the Carlsbad Water Authority uses?

Yeah, fat chance of those getting shut down... lol

Nothing is going to change.


Yup, pretty much. As stated the people on the preservation side aren't thinking rationally.

Not to mention the entire area is full of I evasive species, so they really aren't protecting anything important.

I think the key is that half of the land is "mitigation" land, so with the ever further destruction of habitat for houses, they want to protect what they have as Mitigation land even tighter.


Top
 Profile  
 
The following 2 users would like to thank 325racer for his or her post:
klurejr, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:39 pm 
Offline
Urban Yeti
Urban Yeti
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:32 pm
Posts: 2806
Given: 5519 thanks
Received: 7724 thanks
Bike(s): Bronson
Favorite Trails: North County
Ride on...................


:cheers:

_________________
I never would have thought that Harley would end up being my inspiration. :lol: (well..maybe a little).

avidtest


Last edited by Big Clyde on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
The following 2 users would like to thank Big Clyde for his or her post:
klurejr, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:25 pm 
Offline
Obsessed
Obsessed
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:56 pm
Posts: 5696
Location: Vista
Given: 18315 thanks
Received: 9572 thanks
Bike(s): Spec Epic, Trance X0
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
We have nothing to gain by demonizing her and that organization as our enemy. The irony is that we wouldn’t be riding there at all if she and others hadn’t fought to keep that land from being developed. Her vision for that particular land is very different from ours, but what we have in common is the feeling that our open space is threatened. If we have an enemy, it is the developers and bureaucrats who carve up the land for profit without keeping adequate open space for both habitat preservation and recreation. The good news from that meeting is that incremental progress is being made in a number of areas. The bad news is that two favorite local areas that are owned by DFW are pretty much a lost cause, as they really always have been. Our passion and anger about that should be leveraged to gain compromise and advantage later, and probably elsewhere. Meanwhile, “ride it ‘til they pave it”.


Top
 Profile  
 
The following 4 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Dirtrider, J.A.M., Kimba, klurejr
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:31 pm 
Offline
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:07 pm
Posts: 825
Location: 5 Min from a tiny park with no trails.
Given: 20 thanks
Received: 879 thanks
Bike(s): TallBoy LT, Woodie, MB-2
Favorite Trails: Calavera, 5 min from house
Hopefully Skylar will someday be able to ride with his kids in the protected land on an uber e hover bike after all the old crony conservationalists die of old age.....


Top
 Profile  
 
The following 2 users would like to thank 325racer for his or her post:
Big Clyde, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:44 pm 
Offline
Obsessed
Obsessed
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:35 pm
Posts: 3433
Location: Carlsbad
Given: 4174 thanks
Received: 4356 thanks
Bike(s): All
Favorite Trails: Volcano
Ride it mtb until they pave it, then get a road or cross bike.

_________________
"We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Big Clyde

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
The following 3 users would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
Big Clyde, klurejr, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:51 pm 
Offline
Obsessed
Obsessed
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:56 pm
Posts: 5696
Location: Vista
Given: 18315 thanks
Received: 9572 thanks
Bike(s): Spec Epic, Trance X0
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
325racer wrote:
Hopefully Skylar will someday be able to ride with his kids in the protected land on an uber e hover bike after all the old crony conservationalists die of old age.....


Except they keep breeding new ones, just like we do. Plenty of young conservationists.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:53 pm 
Offline
Obsessed
Obsessed
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:56 pm
Posts: 5696
Location: Vista
Given: 18315 thanks
Received: 9572 thanks
Bike(s): Spec Epic, Trance X0
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Kimba wrote:
Ride it mtb until they pave it, then get a road or cross bike.


Last resort only. Single track or die!


Top
 Profile  
 
The following 2 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Kimba, klurejr
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:58 am 
Offline
Participant
Participant
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:54 pm
Posts: 54
Given: 22 thanks
Received: 44 thanks
Bike(s): Intense Spider 275
Favorite Trails: Skid Marks - Mammoth
OldDogDan wrote:
We have nothing to gain by demonizing her and that organization as our enemy. The irony is that we wouldn’t be riding there at all if she and others hadn’t fought to keep that land from being developed. Her vision for that particular land is very different from ours, but what we have in common is the feeling that our open space is threatened. If we have an enemy, it is the developers and bureaucrats who carve up the land for profit without keeping adequate open space for both habitat preservation and recreation. The good news from that meeting is that incremental progress is being made in a number of areas. The bad news is that two favorite local areas that are owned by DFW are pretty much a lost cause, as they really always have been. Our passion and anger about that should be leveraged to gain compromise and advantage later, and probably elsewhere. Meanwhile, “ride it ‘til they pave it”.


What is their Vision? Only Pedestrian and Equestrian access?

Those groups demonize MTBer's because a few people cut a few new trails in the last few years. But the truth is the vast majority of trails have been there for a very long time. Those trails are regularly used by Hikers, Horseback Riders AND MTBer's.

I was out there on Tuesday evening and saw about 15 people trail running or hiking out on all the same trails my group was going riding on. This is not a case of MTBer's VS Conservation groups. This is a case of many different user groups, but they only seem to want to Target the MTBers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:54 pm 
Offline
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:07 pm
Posts: 825
Location: 5 Min from a tiny park with no trails.
Given: 20 thanks
Received: 879 thanks
Bike(s): TallBoy LT, Woodie, MB-2
Favorite Trails: Calavera, 5 min from house
Their vision is NO Users, this is pristine habitat that should be seen from a distance and not used. Mountain bikers are just easy to target and differentiate.

Imagine if they targeted every Joe Schmoe out walking his dog.

I think if/when any real crack down occurs, then the best stance the biking community has is to push discrimination based on our choice of enjoyment.

How many hikers climb the Volcano vs cyclists? They are all technically in the same restricted area, that Is closed to all use except the 2 fire roads.


Top
 Profile  
 
The following 2 users would like to thank 325racer for his or her post:
Dirtrider, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:13 pm 
Offline
Obsessed
Obsessed
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:56 pm
Posts: 5696
Location: Vista
Given: 18315 thanks
Received: 9572 thanks
Bike(s): Spec Epic, Trance X0
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
^^^ 325racer, you are right sir.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:09 pm 
Offline
Participant
Participant
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:54 pm
Posts: 54
Given: 22 thanks
Received: 44 thanks
Bike(s): Intense Spider 275
Favorite Trails: Skid Marks - Mammoth
325racer wrote:
Their vision is NO Users, this is pristine habitat that should be seen from a distance and not used. Mountain bikers are just easy to target and differentiate.

Imagine if they targeted every Joe Schmoe out walking his dog.

I think if/when any real crack down occurs, then the best stance the biking community has is to push discrimination based on our choice of enjoyment.

How many hikers climb the Volcano vs cyclists? They are all technically in the same restricted area, that Is closed to all use except the 2 fire roads.


No Users just will not work. No matter what Fish n Game or any other group wants, it wont work unless they erect 8 foot high cement walls with razor wire on top AND then have 24/7 surveillance on top of that.

The many different User-Groups are accustomed to access.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:40 pm 
Offline
Obsessed
Obsessed
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:56 pm
Posts: 5696
Location: Vista
Given: 18315 thanks
Received: 9572 thanks
Bike(s): Spec Epic, Trance X0
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Attachment:
DE9C61B0-B8E0-4F03-9342-077028DFB92D.jpeg
DE9C61B0-B8E0-4F03-9342-077028DFB92D.jpeg [ 5.75 MiB | Viewed 425 times ]


My first thought was that advertising a MTB race with a sign posted in an illegal riding area was totally lame, then I thought perhaps a positive argument could be made, but now I think it doesn’t really matter since most people out there are clueless regarding access issues anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
The following 2 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Big Clyde, Dirtrider
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:53 pm 
Offline
Obsessed
Obsessed
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:42 pm
Posts: 2847
Location: Laguna
Given: 6209 thanks
Received: 5018 thanks
Bike(s): Pivot, Specialized, Giant
Favorite Trails: Anywhere but LPQ
I say it's no good for CV but they don't care. They blew Out the trails on Blk Mt and left.

_________________
You never know what tomorrow will bring so go riding today or walk your pooch
Fear the Yeti

Mike


Top
 Profile  
 
The following 2 users would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
Big Clyde, OldDogDan
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group