Post subject: Cedar Creek Falls
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:09 am 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
It’s getting close to the end of Poway’s ski week and the return of my spouse. The kids and I are getting along fair enough with only a few bumps here and there. Today was a great day. We decided to go for a little walk in the San Diego backcountry.

If you have lived here for any amount of time then the words Cedar Fire means a lot to you. It was because of this that I discovered the falls. They are a very well know San Diego treasure. It is frequented by a fair amount of people even though the location is quite remote.

I tossed some necessities together, got the kids in the truck, and headed for Julian. Cedar Falls can be accessed through Ramona but the trail is an unimproved fall line trail not suitable for kids. The Eagle Peak road trail is much better but as we discovered, not easy by any measure. You follow Eagle Peak road out to the end and then start the walk down the hill (HA, more like a fricken big ass mountain!).

The area is due north of Anderson TT and the road is a nearly carbon copy of ATT. A couple of differences lead to some substantial challenges.

1. You start at the top and walk down about 2 miles and drop about 1500 – 2000 ft.
2. I was walking and not riding so the going was not so fast.
3. I had the kids (see #2)

Almost immediately you see a waterfall to the north of the trail. I have no idea what the name is but it was over 200 ft tall. This pic does not do it justice.

As we hiked down, the valley floor finally came into view.

It was then we realized this might be a bit much for the youngest but he wanted to press on. The little man was a trooper!

Down, down, down, down and down we went. Finally, the trail turned east on the Cedar Creek and we followed it. Here is where we ran into our first trees. At least it was not too hot today.

The falls were truly impressive.

There is a swimming hole at the base of the falls that, in warmer weather, must be quite inviting. Right now it is mostly fresh snowmelt the there was no way the kids were getting in. Instead we played around on the rocks and waded the stream a bit.

After a dad-approved lunch of PB&J, Wheat thins, M&M’s, and juice boxes, we dried off, packed it up, and retraced our steps back to the truck.

We went up,

and up, and up, and up.

I am in fine shape. I climb ATT, Bernardo Peak, Black Mtn, and others on a fairly regular basis. Hiking this hill was a BITCH! I can’t imagine how the 5 year old must have felt. We took it slow, rested a lot, drank a lot, and powered up on the Costco 56 oz bag of M&Ms. The trip up took about 1 ½ hours with a few lengthy rests. As we rounded the last corner, we took in the most impressive view of the whole trip.

Our air-conditioned, mechanized transportation to the nearest 7/11 in Ramona. Can you say SLURPEE TIME!!!!

Needless to say, they are all sleeping quite soundly and I will let them sleep in as late as they need tomorrow.

I haven’t touched my bike at all this week and I am whipped.

The following 7 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, Brian, chuckanado, OhNooo, Ratigan, Robo, tfitz
 Post subject: Re: Cedar Creek Falls
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:41 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1101 thanks
Received: 1287 thanks
Bike(s): 2015 Norco Sight
Favorite Trails: Ones with no poison oak
bankerboy wrote:
... and I am whipped.

But boy, isn't it a good kinda whipped? Gotta say, those dirty, sunburned, worn-out kids are pretty darned lucky, Dad!

I've been wanting to check out those falls for a few years now, but never got around to it. Is the route you took suitable for riding on a mtn. bike? How about from the Ramona side?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:39 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 442 thanks
Received: 2590 thanks
Bike(s): RIP9, Nomad
Favorite Trails: Backcountry
bankerboy wrote:
Almost immediately you see a waterfall to the north of the trail. I have no idea what the name is but it was over 200 ft tall.

It's Mildred Falls.

Cedar Creek Falls is best accessed by Eagle Peak Rd. The trail/forest road down to it is a little chunkier than the lower part of ATT but good stuff and it's rideable back up. Dropping down from San Diego Country Estates (Ramona) side rewards you with a nice, but sketchy descent and a 1 hour hike-a-bike back up when you're done.

The following 2 users would like to thank GP_pilot for his or her post:
bankerboy, chuckanado
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:22 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
Good job, dad.