Post subject: Daley Ranch....
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:08 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
I hadn't been out to Daley Ranch is lonnnng while, what with Greer being only another 10-15 minutes drive. Anyway, we went out there this morning, arriving about 6:55 am. They aren't allowing any vehicles to park on La Honda or the main dirt lot but are allowing free parking on the Dixon Lake side. No idea why parking 2 feet from the next car is different at Dixon vs the dirt lot. Once the lot fills up, it's one car out, one car in so get there early if you don't want to sit and wait.

As you might expect, the rain did a number of some trails but some were in surprisingly decent shape. SDMBA was up there recently and did some really nice work on the Crest Trail. The biggest rut that I could see hurting someone not paying attention is at the top of Coyote Run when coming down from the top. The ever-present rut on Burnt Mountain Trail is bigger than normal and slithers along like a snake, forcing you to cross back and forth several times which actually added to the enjoyment. Cardiac is actually in decent shape and so was Bobcat overall but you might want to back off the gas a touch because there are some smaller issues caused by the rain. Not sure why but they have straight up bulldozed 2/3 of upper Bobcat into a 15 foot wide road which is much easier to climb that the loose rock. The rock is still there on the upper 1/3...for now.

We totally lucked out with the weather as it remained overcast the entire 2 hours we were out there. Not only was there more water (and crossings) out there than I've seen since Daley opened but the overgrown bushes were so wet, we came out looking like we had been caught in a downpour. Good times and a nice change of pace. :bang:

The following 8 users would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
avidtest, Big Clyde, Canaan, Dirtrider, Kimba, Ld00d, OldDogDan, Spotter
 Post subject: Re: Daley Ranch....
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:30 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1564 thanks
Received: 1639 thanks
Bike(s): Tracer275, Stumpy WC
Favorite Trails: I like single track
How fast do you drive? :bang:

Rode Daley this morning. ^^^ What he said, except the lot is open now.

Here are some pictures to spruce up the post.

The following 6 users would like to thank ajdonner for his or her post:
avidtest, Dirtrider, GForce, Ld00d, OldDogDan, Spotter
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:07 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
:) Well, maybe 10 minutes was an exaggeration but living in North O'side, we usually come in from the North off of Gopher Canyon so for us, we could keep going out the 76 to the 15 to go to Greer. By the time we go South to the Centre City exit and East to Daley, it's not much further for us.

The following 3 users would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
ajdonner, Dirtrider, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:42 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 142 thanks
Received: 473 thanks
Bike(s): Intense Spider 275
Favorite Trails: Skid Marks - Mammoth
k2rider wrote:
I hadn't been out to Daley Ranch is lonnnng while, what with Greer being only another 10-15 minutes drive. Anyway, we went out there this morning, arriving about 6:55 am. They aren't allowing any vehicles to park on La Honda or the main dirt lot but are allowing free parking on the Dixon Lake side. No idea why parking 2 feet from the next car is different at Dixon vs the dirt lot. Once the lot fills up, it's one car out, one car in so get there early if you don't want to sit and wait.

any word on parking at the Cougar pass lot? I usually park there when going to DALEY.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:01 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Not sure. But there were a lot of hikers on that end that I doubt came from the south, IMO.

The following user would like to thank ajdonner for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:01 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5013 thanks
Received: 5052 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
klurejr wrote:
k2rider wrote:

any word on parking at the Cougar pass lot? I usually park there when going to DALEY.

I've parked there last 2 weekends. It's open but the most full I've ever seen it. Maybe now that the main lot is open that will subside. They had bulldozed the trail from Cougar Pass all the way to the "top" as of last week. Has made it easier and harder in places and not as fast.

-Big Clyde

The following user would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:11 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Kimba wrote:
They had bulldozed the trail from Cougar Pass all the way to the "top" as of last week. Has made it easier and harder in places and not as fast.

Imagined I was riding through brown powdered sugar in spots. Wouldn’t want to ride up it. Was happy when I got to the Crest trail.

Is Calavera ‘open’?

The following user would like to thank ajdonner for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:27 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 1807 thanks
Received: 1299 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt
ajdonner wrote:
Kimba wrote:
They had bulldozed the trail from Cougar Pass all the way to the "top" as of last week. Has made it easier and harder in places and not as fast.

Imagined I was riding through brown powdered sugar in spots. Wouldn’t want to ride up it. Was happy when I got to the Crest trail.

Is Calavera ‘open’?

Yep. Pretty busy on the skyhaven side. No one out on the S40. No LEO’s sighted today.

The following 2 users would like to thank Spotter for his or her post:
ajdonner, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:36 am 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 2 thanks
Received: 20 thanks
Bike(s): salsa horsethief
Favorite Trails: twilight at mammoth
Brown powdered sugar is a good way to describe it. Pretty much everything I rode out there was dozed and less interesting. Riding down cougar back to trail head was super fast with no rocks. Somebody is going to get hurt there colliding with someone. Wonder what the place is going to look like after it rains... Back to Greer I guess.

The following 4 users would like to thank oside4 for his or her post:
Dirtrider, Kimba, OldDogDan, Spotter