Post subject: Bike-curious
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:15 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 265 thanks
Received: 298 thanks
Bike(s): Vitamin C & SixFifty 6500+
Favorite Trails: Cowles(big rock)
hey all. I started saving up some money to get back into MTB. I've previously only had a hardtail(trek 4500 disc) and I'm looking at the giant trance 2 mainly right now. I currently have a KHS vitamin C road type bike trying to get my fitness up. the shop where i bought the khs mentioned the khs sixfifty 6500+ is similar in components. i could probably get a few hundred off the price cause i know one of the managers but i kinda like the giant more and dont mind paying a little more(since all i gotta do save a little longer)

anyone have any recommendations between the two or other bikes in the same price range that would be a better value?

my style of riding is more laid back. im not into crazy highspeed downhill riding or doing big jumps. i want something that i can go at a decent pace and small jumps and be really comfy doing so.

i used to do a weekly late afternoon/night ride down the big rock trail of cowls mountain in santee. and i liked to do the martha's grove trail down to santee

anyways im interested in hearing feedback from you guys

The following 3 users would like to thank leoffensive for his or her post:
Big Clyde, Ld00d, OldDogDan
 Post subject: Re: Bike-curious
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:03 am 
Sticker Shock
Sticker Shock

Given: 1635 thanks
Received: 2676 thanks
Bike(s): 5010
Favorite Trails: Unpaved
I don't have any advice about those 2 bikes, but I would recommend you check out Centre City Cycles in Escondido. It is a small shop that is jammed full of mountain bikes. He sells mostly Kona and Transition, but has great pricing. I just bought my Sentinel there.

The following 2 users would like to thank 24v for his or her post:
leoffensive, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:26 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

will do

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:24 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 282 thanks
Received: 490 thanks
Favorite Trails: ???
Based on my googling, the Trance 2 goes for $2,900 and the SixFity 6500+ for $3,299. Both are 27.5 bikes in the 140-150mm travel range.

For highest value, it's hard to beat a used bike. However, if you want to buy new, look at the direct-to-owner brands such as YT or Canyon, since they're not paying a middle-man bike store.

Happy shopping!

The following user would like to thank Inconceivable for his or her post:
leoffensive
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:46 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Inconceivable wrote:
Based on my googling, the Trance 2 goes for $2,900 and the SixFity 6500+ for $3,299. Both are 27.5 bikes in the 140-150mm travel range.

For highest value, it's hard to beat a used bike. However, if you want to buy new, look at the direct-to-owner brands such as YT or Canyon, since they're not paying a middle-man bike store.

Happy shopping!

Do the bikes come assembled? Also what’s the warranty like if I break something right at the beginning of ownership?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:53 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23231 thanks
Received: 17285 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Either of those two bikes would be great for you. Both have been around long enough to be well refined for that price range. I give the edge to the Trance for Maestro suspension over KHS basic four-bar. KHS makes a good bike, but you see overwhelmingly more Trances on the trail, partly because there is much bigger marketing and dealer network behind them. Since you want new, try to find some older models on close out sale (more likely for KHS). And I second talking to Center City. Get the best fork, shock & brakes you can for your budget. Even the entry level SRAM & Shimano drivetrains will shift well. Dropper post is a must. Have fun shopping!

(Update about mail order — if you are concerned about assembly, you should probably go with a local shop who will support you after the sale. But there are also mobile mechs who you can use)

The following user would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
leoffensive
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:54 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 282 thanks
Received: 490 thanks
Favorite Trails: ???
I think the bikes are ~90% assembled. There are unboxing/assembly vids on Youtube if you want more details. For warranty info, I'd suggest you go to the company websites and browse forums to see how people feel about their warranty service.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:57 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11834 thanks
Received: 7004 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
How tall are you? I can make you an incredibly sweet deal on a gently used XL Santa Cruz Nomad...Alloy :cheers:

The following 2 users would like to thank Red Hot Sloth for his or her post:
Ld00d, leoffensive
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:41 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

i am definitely leaning towards new because of how ive ridden my trek hardtail i had and i dont know much about working on bicycles besides changing tires and tube so im not super savy on what to look for. so i like the idea of something with a good dealer network. however that santa cruz offer(5'10" btw) sounds tempting and i do appreciate the offer but ive only just begun to start socking away the little bits of cash ive been able to so youd be holding on to it for a bit before i had enough cash haha. im hoping for the overtime to pick up at work and/or get a promotion ive been trying for so i can buy earlier.

a little more background. i did try to get back into MTB back in 2016 on here but due to money woes i had to sell that trek. so fast forward to jan 2019. i had fallen back into being lazy and gained weight again(i was at the heaviest ive ever been at 295lbs). I caught the flu that had been going around and it gave me crazy chest pain. so i went to the ER and they did and EKG and thought i was having a heart attack. long story short i am way too young to have that problem and they did an angiogram and saw my heart was perfectly healthy but i had gotten pericarditis(due to the flu) which looks like a heart attack on an EKG. i spent 3 days in the hospital and decided despite the money i needed to do a radical lifestyle change. so i signed up for the HMR weightloss program through my health care provider. the phase im in right now is a medically supervised diet where they dictate what i can and cant eat. after the hospital i lost 10 pounds from being sick and i started the program at 285lbs and as of last wednesday i am at 263lbs.

part of the program is to burn at least 300 calories a day with excercise which is easy to do at work by just being at work. but i remembered some of the most fun i ever had was going on rides with the awesome people in this forum. i knew i was in no shape to try doing the same type of riding i was doing before(plus my wife also is doing the diet with me and also wanted to ride) so with our tax return we bought some hybrid road bikes and a trailer for our son. weve been riding mostly at lake murray and ive commuted to work when i could and ridden around santee where i live just to get as much saddle time as possible to get used to riding a bicycle again. im fast approaching my weight i was when i was mountain biking(much faster than id thought id be) and plan to reward myself by doing the mountain bike thing again.

i am happy to see some familiar names on here from 2011-2012 days although i see a lot of the main group of guys i used to do my thursday evening/night cowles rides with no longer seem to be around which is a bummer but its all good i know you guys are more north county riders but i can always drive up there when i do get back into it. i wish i still had the trek cause feel i could start riding dirt now already.

The following 2 users would like to thank leoffensive for his or her post:
Kimba, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:43 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Here what I’m riding right now 2018 khs vitamin c

Wife has the same bike but without the rack and a small frame

Attachments:
File comment: me and my son on the maiden lake murray voyage
Leo & Diego.jpg
Leo & Diego.jpg [ 176.99 KiB | Viewed 18294 times ]

The following 5 users would like to thank leoffensive for his or her post:
Dirtrider, Inconceivable, Kimba, Ld00d, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:01 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23231 thanks
Received: 17285 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Congratulations your results in getting back in shape. And on that load you’re pulling!

The following user would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
leoffensive
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:39 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Hahaha thanks. Yea Diego is one of my greatest accomplishments

ajdonner, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:14 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

hey everyone im still still around and i keep plugging away at work socking away every little amount of money i am able to get a hold of. i think in the next month or 2 so ill be at that $3k mark if the current overtime train keeps rolling.

anyways ive been so busy havent had a chance to check out center city cycles yet but i plan on getting up there this upcoming week during a lunch break. today i had 10 minutes to kill after work so i stopped at zummwalts by my house in santee and checked out the specialized stumpjumper comp alloy which is priced right around that $3k mark im trying to save up to. how would that compare to the Giant?

im also very seriously considering going with the canyon and having a mobile mechanic do the build as olddogdan suggested i just dunno what bike to go with or if i would get more bike for 3k?

anyways still super excited and just plugging away at work and with the diet and exercise im down 39 pounds as of last weigh in and i can really notice it on the road bike now.

Dirtrider, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:28 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11834 thanks
Received: 7004 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
https://www.jensonusa.com/Mountain-Bikes

Some awesome deals here....for hundreds less than 3K