It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Calaveras Trails
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:07 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5013 thanks
Received: 5052 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
Shit is real. Did some recon today and a friendly trail runner alerted me to the man handing tickets out to riders by their cars parked at the church. Kind of sucks but I was still able to get in a good ride on what's left around the oh so sacred DFG parcel.

-Big Clyde

The following 4 users would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
avidtest, Big Clyde, Dirtrider, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:20 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 142 thanks
Received: 474 thanks
Bike(s): Intense Spider 275
Favorite Trails: Skid Marks - Mammoth
Kimba wrote:
Shit is real. Did some recon today and a friendly trail runner alerted me to the man handing tickets out to riders by their cars parked at the church. Kind of sucks but I was still able to get in a good ride on what's left around the oh so sacred DFG parcel.

I am curious what their hours of operation are.... Kinda odd to be out there in the middle of the day on a Wednesday. I cannot imagine many people access the area at that time of day mid week.

The following 3 users would like to thank klurejr for his or her post:
Big Clyde, Dirtrider, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:29 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
klurejr wrote:
Kimba wrote:

I am curious what their hours of operation are.... Kinda odd to be out there in the middle of the day on a Wednesday. I cannot imagine many people access the area at that time of day mid week.

My *assumption* is they might still be getting some internal direction to focus extra time up here. That being said, to answer your specific question, unless things have changed the officers (though people like to call them wardens) can work whatever hours they want to deal with the specific issue they are working on. For example, I worked 5pm-3am for 20 years and ran across CDFW all the time enforcing illegal fishing and lobster trapping late into the night. Only ONCE in twenty years did I run across more than (1) CDFW officer at a scene which is why seeing so many at Calavera is crazy to me.

The following user would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:37 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5013 thanks
Received: 5052 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
klurejr wrote:
Kimba wrote:

I thought so too thus I chose that time to ride. I did not eyeball the police in the church lot. I ran into the runner right by a sign before I got to that area. I took the runnner at his word and decided not to tempt fate. He seemed like a trustworthy guy, but who knows. As I was approaching the high school to take the LEGAL dirt path back to the lake area there was a Carlsbad police cruiser eyeing me at the intersection since I had popped out of a trail that leads to the "preserve." He had better things to do though, as did I.

I was curious since I had not ridden there in a few weeks since all the drama erupted and wanted to see for myself. There are big fucking signs and little ones all about. They actually are placed in contradictory places at times, but they are there. The lake area is getting kinda congested but it's always been like that. The other stuff is getting overgrown so it would be good if folks rode it more. You can get there without "breaking the law."

-Big Clyde

The following 4 users would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
avidtest, Big Clyde, Dirtrider, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:43 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
We rode out there today from 5pm-6:30 and didn't see any law enforcement types but we stayed where the riding is legal as well. Started by the lake and then went up & around to Cannon. When you enter over there, all the signage is across the road thereby allowing someone to assume that riding up the dirt road is okay, though the maps show it may not be. We then rode all over the south side.

When we left the south side over by the high school, we were stopped by a guy who asked us if we had seen any CDFW officers on our ride. The guy said he had been stopped twice in one day while riding on Saturday and received a warning both times. One of the officers told them that he was brought down from Orange County and thought what they were doing was "stupid".

The following 5 users would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
avidtest, Dirtrider, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:24 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 21 thanks
Received: 119 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis Ripley V4
Favorite Trails: BLT
Saw this yesterday around 11:00 am while walking my dog. 2 officers patrolling.

Attachment:
IMG_0330.jpg
IMG_0330.jpg [ 68.62 KiB | Viewed 10373 times ]

The following 7 users would like to thank pperrelle for his or her post:
avidtest, Big Clyde, Dirtrider, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor, Red Hot Sloth, tfitz
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:11 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 6166 thanks
Received: 6399 thanks
Bike(s): mango. pivot. chumba
Favorite Trails: san jaun. arizona trails
DF$W entered though the gate at the end of cannon at 11:45 am. Heading up the fire road above the Eucalyptus trees heading towards the water tower.

The following 6 users would like to thank tfitz for his or her post:
avidtest, Belizean, Big Clyde, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:08 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 25 thanks
Received: 241 thanks
Bike(s): Pinhoti III, Krampus, R1ot
Favorite Trails: BLT/Noble, Calavera
Don't know if anybody regularly keeps track of the Cantarini Ranch(AKA Southern Freedom Zone) website but noticed this the other day on the project history page. Considering most of the EIR and other permits have expired hopefully a nail in the coffin in one year, unless management of the entire area gets transferred to DFW.

http://www.cantarini-hollysprings.com/cantarini-hollysprings.com/Project_History.html

"July 2019: The Carlsbad City Council debated Engineering Staff’s recommendation to impose a development moratorium for Zone 15 in response to GMP traffic standards failures identified for sections of El Camino Real & Cannon roads. Council delayed action pending further studies by staff regarding alternative solutions. All available tentative map extensions have be utilized; absent recordation of the final map, West Partners will lose the entitlements for the Cantarini Ranch project in July 2020."

The following 3 users would like to thank socal_jack for his or her post:
Dirtrider, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:02 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 39 thanks
Received: 1499 thanks
Bike(s): TallBoy LT, Woodie, MB-2
Favorite Trails: Calavera, 5 min from house
Things are still moving along. Slower than I had hoped, but moving.

Today I went to Fish and Game Commission meeting to see how it operates and learn more about the process. While I was there I had a great conversation with one of the Staff Environmental Advisors in regards to our project. He was aware of the situation and seems willing to work with us to find a plan to allow legal access.

Baby Steps, but we are moving in the right direction.

The following 7 users would like to thank 325racer for his or her post:
ajdonner, avidtest, Big Clyde, Dirtrider, Inconceivable, OldDogDan, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:30 pm 
Urban Yeti
Urban Yeti

Given: 8558 thanks
Received: 11540 thanks
Bike(s): Orbea Wild, SC Chameleon
Favorite Trails: CDF&G land
Things are great out in Calavera!
No wardens, no mountain bikers,
we have the WHOLE place to ourselves!

:cheers:

avidtest

"it makes mountain biking fun again"

Ozzer

The following 4 users would like to thank Big Clyde for his or her post:
24v, ajdonner, Dirtrider, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:59 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10484 thanks
Received: 7541 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
^^^ They are even serving ice cold Mammoth Brewing IPA at the Skyhaven Brewing Company :cheers:

Mike

The following 3 users would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
24v, Big Clyde, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:38 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23231 thanks
Received: 17286 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
^^^ C’mon now. Quit misleading people. All the good trails were destroyed, there’s nothing left but fireroads, and there are wardens, rangers, or cops out there all the time.

The following 7 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
24v, ajdonner, avidtest, Big Clyde, Dirtrider, Inconceivable, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:31 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11834 thanks
Received: 7004 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
OldDogDan wrote:
^^^ C’mon now. Quit misleading people. All the good trails were destroyed, there’s nothing left but fireroads, and there are wardens, rangers, or cops out there all the time.

Agree, last time we tried to ride out there we saw no less than 5 ROUS, trails overgrown with poison oak, smooth, wide freeway sized fireroads, militant types with an extreme prejudice penchant for citations, ticks the size of gobstoppers. It is indeed a hostile environment not fit for the likes of the sane mt biker. Hodges is our new goto, which by the way has singletrack in abundance, loaded with formidable A-lines and sweet B-lines, it is truly a treasure trove we’ve been referring to as Don Pedro’s Rancho Paradiso. My hope is that this sweet secret stash of singletrack sanctuary silently sits as unpopulated for the remainder of our riding years.

The following 6 users would like to thank Red Hot Sloth for his or her post:
24v, avidtest, Big Clyde, Dirtrider, Inconceivable, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:13 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 39 thanks
Received: 1499 thanks
Bike(s): TallBoy LT, Woodie, MB-2
Favorite Trails: Calavera, 5 min from house
For better or worse, I believe Better, SDMBA will no longer be involved in the fight for Calavera. The reason I say better is that many of the opposition parties told us (Calavera Cyclists/Trails Coalition) that if SDMBA and specifically Ben were involved there would never be a compromise on this property.

Mr. Kogan:

The San Diego Mountain Biking Association (SDMBA) has been searching for a local group of riders to take lead or be actively engaged with Carlsbad Highlands Ecological Reserve (CHER) for a long time. Several months ago, the Calavera Cyclists Coalition/Calavera Trails Coalition stepped forward requesting to get involved. SDMBA and the community were thrilled.

Since then, there has been tension regarding who was taking charge. In an effort of unity and your stated desire to fully control and assume all authority over CHER advocacy issues, the SDMBA Board will direct all control over to the Calavera Cyclists Coalition/Calavera Trails Coalition.

If we receive any communications or questions regarding progress on CHER we will direct them to your email address.

Regarding your comments on developers, SDMBA will release a public statement shortly.

We wish you the very best.

Kevin W. Loomis <><
President
San Diego Mountain Biking Association
619/501-4567
http://www.sdmba.com
www.linkedin.com/in/kevinwloomis
Twitter

The following 3 users would like to thank 325racer for his or her post:
avidtest, OldDogDan, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:19 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10484 thanks
Received: 7541 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
It's too bad that the two groups couldn't work together for the same common cause. MTB'ers seem to be their own worst enemies most of the time. Maybe it's the passion the sport brings to the soul.

Oh well, I'm riding tonight on a friendly ride with people with the same goal, enjoying the ride
:cheers:

Mike

The following 2 users would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
24v, Big Clyde
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 27  Next