All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bike locks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:31 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 282 thanks
Received: 490 thanks
Favorite Trails: ???
I guess I must be naive, b/c I really had no idea that touristy places like the Grand Canyon were so high risk for theft. Most people in places like that are other tourists, and I wouldn't think many tourists would even have enough extra room in/on their cars to stash an extra bike, especially since most cars are already stuffed full of clothes and gear. I would've thought a city neighborhood would be far more risky, with lots of houses to disappear into, and the presence of "dedicated" thieves who literally go patrolling for bikes to steal. Maybe I'm wrong?

On a related subject, I just went to buy a bunch of #8 x 3-inch wood screws. I'm replacing the 1/2-inch screws that hold the latch for all my doors with these longer 3-inch screws in order to make them all harder to kick down. No point in getting more secure with locking your bike to your car if you just lose it out of your garage.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:05 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7321 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
I wouldn't consider the Grand Canyon to be a high risk spot for bike theft as it is mostly tourists, its not a typical residential area, and there is an entrance fee. You won't see a lot of big $ bikes there so it isn't a place that bike theft rings would likely target. Bigger risk for them is places with lots of high end bikes - resorts, destinations, trailheads, grub spots, and in town. Tweakers are out to score quick cash and I doubt you'd see them pay an entrance fee in hopes of scoring an easy target. They're just as likely to take a huffy as they are an expensive bike, it's more about what they can get their hands on. I consider them mostly opportunists. Somewhere like the GC I would think it would mostly be a case of wrong place at the wrong time, again an opportunist who spotted a bike and happened to have the right tools with no one else in sight.

It's impossible to have the bike in sight all the time. I've left mine locked up on a rack plenty of times, but only for a very short time or if for longer, when I thought I was at a less risky place. I try not to get paranoid about it. Just make it as hard as reasonably possible for them to get the bike. It keeps the honest people honest and the less honest people more honest. You'll never stop someone 100% determined to have the bike unless it never leaves the house. And that defeats the purpose of having a bike.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:39 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 424 thanks
Bike(s): Commencal Super 4.1
Favorite Trails: Black Rock Oregon
After seeing another post today on FB about a bike stolen I thought about gps tracking. Of course I know someone else has thought of it so I did some googling.

https://www.sherlock.bike/en/device-app/

This seemed like a pretty good solution minus a few drawbacks. Not sure if it's available in the US.

There's also the tile app thing. With a mount to your saddle but that seems to obvious. And I'd imagine a few others but still are too obvious etc.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:57 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 282 thanks
Received: 490 thanks
Favorite Trails: ???
I've also heard about the tile thing. From what I can tell:
- You cannot drop the Tile down your seat post or put it in your handlebars. Your frame/bars will act as a faraday cage and block its transmission. This leaves the bottom of your seat as the best place. (Note: There are conflicting reports of this)
- The range is very limited (~100-200 ft under ideal conditions). You would need another Tile user who also has opted in to share their location information to come across your bike. However, you can mark your bike as stolen which means as soon as somebody does this you will receive an alert.
- You have to remember to replace your Tile every year or else it stops working.

Overall, it seems as though you have to get pretty lucky for Tile to work. However, if you're already using it, then you might as well put one on your bike! The Tile Sport is only $35 so maybe it's worth a shot!

Here's a story about it actually working:
http://abc7news.com/technology/7-on-you ... -/1220840/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:51 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5013 thanks
Received: 5052 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
Bring your 26 inch bike and never worry! :)

-Big Clyde

The following 2 users would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
Dirtrider, OhNooo
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:30 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2093 thanks
Received: 1460 thanks
Bike(s): Sirens: Song and John Henry
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca
Kimba wrote:
Bring your 26 inch bike and never worry! :)

Tweakers are not that discriminating. :lol:

The following user would like to thank OhNooo for his or her post:
Kimba