PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:20 am 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

Given: 366 thanks
Received: 764 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Trance
Favorite Trails: Anything with dirt
J.A.M. wrote:
I dislike Lance for his disgusting behavior off the bike. He will never be able to live that down / explain it away.

On the bike, he was the best of the best.

As long as he had the appropriate cocktail of PED's coursing through his body he was great.

But then again it's hyprocritical of me to point fingers at anyone.

I enjoyed a very successful college football career that included not paying even $1.00 of my own or my parents money for 4 1/2 years of education. That career was enhanced by twice weekly injections of Deca Duranolin that were assisted by daily doses of Dianabol.

The following user would like to thank DWill for his or her post:
OldDogDan
 Post subject: Re: Cheaters Do Prosper
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:49 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23228 thanks
Received: 17283 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
^^^ What do you tell the players you coach about your experience?

The following user would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
J.A.M.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:26 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 356 thanks
Received: 550 thanks
Bike(s): I like bikes
Favorite Trails: Any
Great question Dan. One could argue DWill stole his roster spot from a kid who did not use...

It all rolls down to the younger people and being the example.

Back to Lance, this years tour showed just how hard it is to win. The best rider on his best form with the best team does not always win.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:18 pm 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

OldDogDan wrote:
^^^ What do you tell the players you coach about your experience?

When I was coaching high school ball this how I (and pretty much every other adult) handled it.

First I don't mention it. For the few, and it is very few, that even mention using any form of PED's I discourge them and explain to them the legal consequences, physical dangers, the potential for long term damage and how quickly gains are lost once you stop, and you do have to stop.

During my college playing days, use of anobolic steroids was the norm not the exception. While no one forced me to use them, it was made pretty clear that if expected to keep my scholarship, I was expected to practice and play at a high level. If I expected to to do those things, I had better figure out a way to mavimize the results of my training time.

We didn't find someone to buy from, or head to Mexico to get drugs. They were prescribed, and their use was monitored, just not from within the program.

Now that I've moved beyond high school football, the subject of PED's never comes up and as far as I know their use doesn't exsist. players are monitored closely and the penalty is steep. But for the most part in both you don't hear of anyone even talking about or thinking about using steroids.

Now, from I unetstand, though I have absolutely no direct or even indirect experience; from what I hear and read steroid use is epidemic.

The following 2 users would like to thank DWill for his or her post:
Canaan, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:46 pm 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

J.A.M. wrote:
Great question Dan. One could argue DWill stole his roster spot from a kid who did not use

One could make that argument; but it would be an ignorant argument given one has zero knowledge of the time period being discussed nor what was "normal and accepted" if not expected in that time period.

It would also be quite ignorant to make that argument without knowing the background of the person you are arguing against, without any of that information your argument just become ad hominem statements.

I could argue that Having the knowledge, skill, work ethic, dedication and pride had a far greater impact on performance than chemistry.

Still, it was a damn stupid thing to do truth be told in hind sight I would have played at the same level without it. However I really didn't have the option.

The following user would like to thank DWill for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:51 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23228 thanks
Received: 17283 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
^^^ I was thinking somewhat along those lines about Lance and others who won at sports while doping. It seems very likely that they could have been winners without the drugs, since they had the skills, physical attributes, and drive to get them that far. But not so very likely if their closest competitors are cheating. Too bad we will never know what the results would have been with a level playing field.

And yes, if it seems everyone is doing it, and the coaches and managers are expecting you to cheat, you may likely feel you have no option if you want to be a "winner". That's exactly how Tyler Hamilton and Frankie Andreu felt. And they knew it didn't make it right.