All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:43 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 41 thanks
Received: 42 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Nomad
Favorite Trails: Noble, National, ATT, Tunnels
I've never been to one of their meetings but figured I'd go check it out tonight. I feel like I need to do some more trail work and maybe get into some advocacy for local trails in order to give back. Figured I'd post on here to see if anyone's going? I realize it starts in about an hour and a half, so unless you're fanatic DTers, you probably won't see this in time. Maybe next month then.

I've only been to one SDMBA event before, a trail day up at Crestridge last year. Had a good time, need to do more though. Hoping to get some work done on the Canyon trails around the neighborhood, Clairemont, and of course see what's going on with a San Diego Bike park.

if I don't see you tonight, then maybe I'll see you on the trails someday.

The following 2 users would like to thank Garett.McD for his or her post:
mongooseboy, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:52 pm 
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE

Given: 2657 thanks
Received: 3676 thanks
Bike(s): Nomad mk2, Giant Glory
Favorite Trails: the ones that go down, duh!
after the last SDMBA discussion on here...i'm just DYING to see the replies to this thread

The following user would like to thank his highness for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:46 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 87 thanks
Received: 173 thanks
Bike(s): Mach 4, Firebird, 7p7, Phx
Favorite Trails: Noble, Mammoth, Trestle BP
Garrett - Thanks for showing up to the meeting last night. I hope you found it informative and helpful.

Hope to see you at other SDMBA events in the future. :-)

Wendi

The following user would like to thank mtbgurlSD for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:06 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 181 thanks
Received: 317 thanks
Bike(s): Yeti
Favorite Trails: Anywhere There Is Dirt
Recap?

The following user would like to thank AndYeti for his or her post:
ride00
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:45 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 222 thanks
Received: 353 thanks
Bike(s): Commencal, Mojo HD
Favorite Trails: Winter Park, CO
+1 on that recap..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:20 pm 
Participant
Participant

A short (not really) recap of the meeting....

My first impression of the meeting, which I let slip last night with the first thing out of my mouth, was how surprised I was at how few people there were. I backpedaled a little, explaining that I'd walked into the ongoing astronomy meeting on accident in the main meeting room that had 60 or so people and was expecting something similar, especially after the significant showing of SDMBAers at the one trail day I went to. However, the small meeting size (about 9 people) was efficient and worked well to keep things moving.

1. New SDMBA Website. We discussed the revamp to the website and the guy chosen to do it won the contract by default since no one else contacted provide a sample of what they wanted to do. No time frame on when work on the site will start/finish.

2. Valley Center Bike Park. Minette was contacted by the Park and Rec manager in Valley Center for help putting in a bike park. She's looking for input from local riders, if they even want a park, and what they'd like to have in one. Seems like this is a first for SD County. Pretty exciting. Hopefully Minette gets the support she needs from the community to get it done. I suggested to put up a sign in the lot that says "bike park" and dump a couple loads of dirt, then come back in two weeks and see what the kids have built.

3. Trailwork Strategy: the board is trying to formulate a plan to hit good trail building days with maximum effect when the building window is open after it rains. Seems like there's been difficulty in the past, organizing with land managers to get the schedule to be flexible enough so work can be done on good days as opposed to scheduled days. That subject will be addressed this season with the rangers.

4. VAP - Volunteer Appreciation Party.... "FREE BEER" "but you must have volunteered to go", but not really... I had to ask for clarification on the "who's allowed" question. The answer was a little fuzzy but my interpretation is it's to show appreciation to volunteers, so if you have volunteered, or want to show your appreciation for those who've volunteered, you can go. It's on Sunday night, Sept 8th, at Loaded. Ride beforehand, appreciate volunteers after.

5. Photo Contest - Probably gonna be scheduled around the same time as last years, December 5th. The guy that ran it last year won't be doing it this year. A calendar will be made this year from winning pictures. I suggested to also have the photos available for download in an album on Picasa for screen savers or whatnot. Seems like the definition of a Pro Photographer is: “the people who use lights that aren’t on their cameras”. I hesitated to suggest it should be people who have been paid in the past for their photos. I guess the photographers decide. I haven’t been to one of the contests before but hope to work on my portfolio and maybe make some entries this year, in the “not pro category” even if I do know how to use a remote flash.

6. Tour De Fat 2013…. I’ve never been to this before and I’m still not sure exactly what it is, but it looks like a lot of fun and involves beer and biking, i'm in. Apparently Alison does a kick ass job of organizing it but could use some help. Contact her if you want to volunteer. September 28th (in Golden hill somewhere I think), and a pre party thing at Hamilton’s on the 27th with a raffle of some sort.

7. And Jay had some good news from a District Trails meeting where he proposed the idea of incorporating a bike skills park on a 13+ acre lot of land the equestrians were given for their riding center. Seems like the horse people liked the idea of a joint use riding park, but hopefully they'll stay on their side of the trail.

It was a great meeting overall and I was really glad I went. I plan on making it to the next one and maybe meet some more of you all there.

Cheers.

The following 9 users would like to thank Garett.McD for his or her post:
AndYeti, bankerboy, Canaan, his highness, Ld00d, mongooseboy, OhNooo, OldDogDan, ride00
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:43 pm 
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE

Given: 2657 thanks
Received: 3676 thanks
Bike(s): Nomad mk2, Giant Glory
Favorite Trails: the ones that go down, duh!
Garett.McD wrote:

2. Valley Center Bike Park. Minette was contacted by the Park and Rec manager in Valley Center for help putting in a bike park. She's looking for input from local riders, if they even want a park, and what they'd like to have in one. Seems like this is a first for SD County. Pretty exciting. Hopefully Minette gets the support she needs from the community to get it done. I suggested to put up a sign in the lot that says "bike park" and dump a couple loads of dirt, then come back in two weeks and see what the kids have built.

did someone say bike park??....again.....

sorry to be Debbie-Downer, but its not the first time this has been brought up ...and its never gonna happen.
kind of ironic if you ask me;
1-the people who want to help build it for others to enjoy, would probably never end up riding it IF it were built correctly...
and
2-the kids who would ride it IF it were built correctly would never put any effort or support into building it or maintaining it...

and if you want proof of this...look at what happened @ TW...the group of people who it was being fought for, ended up being their own biggest enemy.
hell, So Cal mtb'ers are the biggest bunch of unorganized and unmotivated people on earth, when it comes to advocacy, bike parks and trails. just go look at how many people are out diggin in the rain...then come back and tell me that we actually have a chance... :lol:

believe it or not, your idea about dumping dirt and coming back in 2 weeks is, in all honesty, about the brightest idea anyone has tossed up yet regarding this subject.

The following user would like to thank his highness for his or her post:
Garett.McD
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:52 pm 
Participant
Participant

Too bad it's up in Valley Center.... I had to look on the map to figure out where it is, turns out it's not in the center of anything. I'd still make the drive up there if the park turned out okay. Shit, I'd make the drive to Colonnade or Valmont because they turned out so good.

The following 2 users would like to thank Garett.McD for his or her post:
his highness, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:24 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9364 thanks
Received: 5395 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
Garett.McD wrote:
A short (not really) recap of the meeting....

1. New SDMBA Website. We discussed the revamp to the website and the guy chosen to do it won the contract by default since no one else contacted provide a sample of what they wanted to do. No time frame on when work on the site will start/finish.

Heh. Looks like I missed this opportunity again. I talked to them 3 years ago about moving out of Joomla...

The following user would like to thank Ld00d for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:45 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 181 thanks
Received: 317 thanks
Bike(s): Yeti
Favorite Trails: Anywhere There Is Dirt
Thanks a bunch for the recap and the time it took for you to type it up, much appreciated.

The following 2 users would like to thank AndYeti for his or her post:
Garett.McD, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:59 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 325 thanks
Received: 229 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz LTC, KTM 300
Favorite Trails: big laguna
Thanks for going to the meeting. I know those things can be boring but someone has to go. I too feel like I need to be more involved.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:10 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 87 thanks
Received: 173 thanks
Bike(s): Mach 4, Firebird, 7p7, Phx
Favorite Trails: Noble, Mammoth, Trestle BP
Garrett,
Thanks for the recap. Sometimes the minutes from Everett can take a week or so to be posted.

We will know more on the schedule for the new website after our meeting with the chosen vendor. The meeting is scheduled for Sept 11.

As for bike parks, these two options are very positive. Instead of fighting for approval and pleading with city/county officials, we actually have a few that want to see this happen. This is what we have needed all along...a champion within the halls of government. Hopefully something good will come of this. If there are any folks on here that actually live in the two areas mentioned that wants to help out with this, please PM me and I'll get you in contact with the right folks.

The following 5 users would like to thank mtbgurlSD for his or her post:
Dirtrider, Garett.McD, OhNooo, OldDogDan, ride00
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:42 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 168 thanks
Received: 790 thanks
Bike(s): Intense TracerVP / Javlin Road
Favorite Trails: Left Fork Bunker Creek
Thank you for posting. SDMBA seems to have forgotten to put the meeting on this sites calendar page. I'm sure it was an honest oversight. A fine organization such as SDMBA would never intentionally leave the 1601 members of dirttreaders out of the loop.

--Desmond Tutu

The following user would like to thank mongooseboy for his or her post:
his highness
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:53 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
Or you could go to the SDMBA site and look at the calendar posted there?

http://www.sdmba.com/site/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=63

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:53 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
Stupid iPad double post.......