It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tubed to Tube-less
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:22 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11834 thanks
Received: 7004 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
Tubeless is working pretty good so far...haven't lost any air or had to fix it from flatting yet...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:07 pm 
Loco Artist
Loco Artist

Given: 73 thanks
Received: 158 thanks
I had a tire burp this weekend, my tubeless was probably not set, and the rear tire tore away from the rim...and all the air went out, lucky I had tubes with me...this was on the 29er, and I will now run tubes, never really had an issue with my 26er tubeless, I the Hutchinson tires seem to take well to the UST systems(FYI).

The following user would like to thank Pixelpusher for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:24 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11834 thanks
Received: 7004 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
On my last ride this past wednesday, it did burp just a bit, lost a very small bit of stans and about 10psi give or take. I just added a lil bit of air and was off. It was the first time I had to add air since I did the conversion over two months ago...so, still pretty good to go.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:58 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1013 thanks
Received: 1233 thanks
Favorite Trails: The one I'm riding today.
luna wrote:
Now carry some Super Glue & paper towel for trail cut's that maybe too big & help seal it up. Tear a small piece of paper towel apart & put over hole & glue.

Nice instructional write-up!

I carry the yellow rim tape in my CamelBak. I figure it's strong enough to tape the inside of the tire if it tears.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:29 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 377 thanks
Received: 188 thanks
Bike(s): Kona Unit
Favorite Trails: The ones with hills
Alright after reading and researching, I will convert to tubeless soon. I ride a stock Trek EX-8 (2008). It came with Bontrager Race Disc wheels and are tubeless "ready!" My biggest concern was finding the right tire, I currently run WTB Velociraptors and love them. From reading this topic, I see a lot of people praise the Kenda Nevegal's UST's. I like the knobby tires for climbing traction, so this my be my next set. Here's my question (finally), with the Bontrager rims I have and if I go with the Kenda's, will I still need to run Stan's sealant and rim strips? Another concern is getting a flat on the trails, I know you should still carry a tube for "just in case" but should you always carry CO2's? I read some tires you can pump with a regular floor pump and some you can not. Anyone ever convert the WTB Velociraptors to tubeless? Thanks for any advise in advance....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:27 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1013 thanks
Received: 1233 thanks
Favorite Trails: The one I'm riding today.
with the Bontrager rims I have and if I go with the Kenda's, will I still need to run Stan's sealant and rim strips? : Stan's is always a good idea in case you get a puncture. You will need rim strips if the Bonty rims have spoke holes.

Another concern is getting a flat on the trails, I know you should still carry a tube for "just in case" but should you always carry CO2's? : I just carry a regular compact pump. I have heard CO2 will freeze sealant and make it ball up--causing it not to work. I have never used it myself, it's just what I heard.

I read some tires you can pump with a regular floor pump and some you can not.: I have seated 3 different tires with just a floor pump. The key is lot's of soapy water. It's more work than an air compressor (duh) but it can be done.

Anyone ever convert the WTB Velociraptors to tubeless?: Can't help you there.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:53 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 62 thanks
Received: 154 thanks
Favorite Trails: narrow
KIMO wrote:
Anyone ever convert the WTB Velociraptors to tubeless? Thanks for any advise in advance....

I used WTB Wierwolfs as tubeless (non UST on Stan's rims). I'm guessing the beads are similar. Works fine.

If you run Stan's rim strip, I think you should be good to go. Make sure to use the soap and water trick, it helps create a seal and will make it easier to inflate the tires. If you don't mind wasting a couple CO2s cartridges, blast your tires with that and it'll inflate in seconds.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:14 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 836 thanks
Received: 362 thanks
Bike(s): Yeti 575
Favorite Trails: singletrack
Ok, next question... I did the conversion on Thursday night. Mavic Crossrides with non-UST tires, and the Stan's kit. The front tire seems to be weeping a little bit, but it's not losing any air, so I'm not really concerned there. On the other hand, the rear tire seamed to be losing about 10-15 psi overnight. So, Friday night, I put more air in it and checked it on Saturday morning. Same result. So, I pumped it up again and then checked it Saturday night. It had lost air again, so I put more air in it, but this time, I think I pumped it up to almost 50-55 psi. When I came out to check it again Sunday before my ride it was totally flat and the bead had come off the rim. Any ideas? I read the directions and I noticed that it said you shouldn't put more than 40 psi in your tire. Could this be the cause? Maybe I should switch to a UST tire?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:15 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 62 thanks
Received: 154 thanks
Favorite Trails: narrow
b5driver wrote:
Ok, next question... I did the conversion on Thursday night. Mavic Crossrides with non-UST tires, and the Stan's kit. The front tire seems to be weeping a little bit, but it's not losing any air, so I'm not really concerned there. On the other hand, the rear tire seamed to be losing about 10-15 psi overnight. So, Friday night, I put more air in it and checked it on Saturday morning. Same result. So, I pumped it up again and then checked it Saturday night. It had lost air again, so I put more air in it, but this time, I think I pumped it up to almost 50-55 psi. When I came out to check it again Sunday before my ride it was totally flat and the bead had come off the rim. Any ideas? I read the directions and I noticed that it said you shouldn't put more than 40 psi in your tire. Could this be the cause? Maybe I should switch to a UST tire?

With any non UST type rims, you'll lose some air (slowly), but 10-15 psi is a bit much. I have the same weeping problems and the way I combat that is to put in more than the 2 oz of sealant fluid (more like 2.5 oz).

Your back wheel could be doing a few things:
1) If you're running a factory rim strip, it might be leaking; if yes, use the thin Stan's yellow strip (some people go around twice).
2) The stan's conversion strip might not be seating down below the rim lip; if yes, restretch around the rim and make sure to push down slack with tire lever.
3) Your rim might have a defect on the lip; check and clean around the rim and make sure it's all clean and smooth.
4) If everything checks out, put in 2.5 oz for sealant and do the shaky motion thing 3-4 times and let it sit horizontal until all the leaks are gone (work on each side of the tire until there's no leaks).
5) I usually let the sealant sit over night (or 8 hours at least) before I ride it. Either way, you'll know if you need to repeat the process or you're good to go for the ride.

Check out the video, it's pretty comprehensive:
http://www.notubes.com/movieinstall.php

Also, check to see if your tires are on the recommended list:
http://www.notubes.com/support_tire.php

The following user would like to thank qpcr8tiv for his or her post:
b5driver
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:30 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 324 thanks
Received: 334 thanks
Bike(s): Niner RIP 9 / Intense SS
Favorite Trails: any
Another tidbit of info. When installing NEW folding non UST tires on UST wheels it helps to put a tube in the tire and stretch it out prior to installing. I put new Larsen TT's on my 819's and one of the tires just wouldn't seat. :x Tons of soapy water and still no luck, even using an air compressor! Luckily I had a tube in the truck. Inflated the tube in the tire and let it sit for a bit, then tried again. Presto..Change O... it worked like a charm.

The following user would like to thank 02bullit for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:54 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 223 thanks
Received: 848 thanks
Bike(s): IH 6.6 & Sunday,Giant XTC
Favorite Trails: Any ST with nice flow.
So I'm trying something new & report back, I'm using 2 parts Stans & 1 part Slime Tubeless formula.

However first I need to ride to test it :crying:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:57 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
I want to hear about the super-sauce you concoct. I'm just about about of Stan's juice and need to pull/clean/renew some tires.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:16 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Other than the slash in the sidewall, the brew is working, I noticed a clumpy ball, like dried up Stan's when I repaired the tire, So I'll report back when she has more miles on her.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:52 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

So I got some new stuff of Stan's & got several cuts in the tires & Stans wouldn't seal the punctures on the couple of rides I went on.

I was pissed seeing the Stan's spray out with out sealing. Darryl had this experience 6 months ago. He bought a new bottle of Stan's 6 months ago & it didn't seal.My old bottles of Stan's from a year ago sealed, but this new bottle I bought a month ago wouldn't seal holes either.

So first I tried 50/50 Stan's & Tubeless Slime.I got a big Stan's booger.

Went back to Stan's, might as well put water in there.

So I made a homebrew of Wadesters Secret Sauce where I saw the thread here

1 part Latex mold builder
1 part Slime tubeless
1 part cheap antifreeze
2 parts water
1 pinch of Silica for every scoop of SS you put in the tire.(Secret Sauce)

So far so good, sealed a couple of holes over the weekend at Hurkey Creek,only been using it for a couple of weeks, but all my tires currently have this in them.

This will make 80oz so you will have a ton of stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:16 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 324 thanks
Received: 334 thanks
Bike(s): Niner RIP 9 / Intense SS
Favorite Trails: any
Got an issue with my 819's runnin Larsen TT non UST. I keep losin air pressure in the front tire. The back is OK, just the front is leakin. When I converted the tire I didn'y use any rim tape on the rim, but both wheels have been set up the same so I don't think its that. Should I just add some more Stans and reseal? Anyone runnin standard tires on UST wheels with Stans?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next