All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lance's Trek MTB
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:54 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 407 thanks
Received: 610 thanks
Favorite Trails: 11111
Kinda cool artcle. They tell you what Trek presented as his bike, then what he actually was using on the Trek frame.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2008/pr ... top_fuel08

Post subject: Re: Lance's Trek MTB
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:47 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 491 thanks
Received: 481 thanks
Nice bike...

In other Lance news, he recently switched gruppos from Shimano to SRAM. It's really interesting because SRAM's parent company is Lehman Brothers, which as everyone knows, was one of the longstanding financial institutions that recently collapsed. Lance apparently will be investing millions of dollars into SRAM (sort of like a reverse sponsorship) and serve as a technical advisor. Wonder why he decided to leave Shimano, which served him well for all those Tours?

Armstrong invests with SRAM
By Mark Zalewski, Cyclingnews.com

Lance Armstrong will be racing on SRAM Red in 2009. (SRAM)
While a lot of recent news about Lance Armstrong has overshadowed the wheeling and dealing happening at the Interbike trade show, one aspect of his return actually has relevance specific to the industry. The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday that Armstrong is investing millions of dollars into component maker SRAM, as part of the deal with Lehman Brothers Merchant Bank, subsidiary of the recently collapsed investment bank Lehman Brothers.

While the two entities are relatively separate, the infusion of cash from Armstrong is expected to have a positive impact. Lehman had actually courted Lance prior to any knowledge of his comeback, beginning as far back as 2007. And the fact that Armstrong will be riding SRAM as part of the existing sponsorship with Astana is apparently just coincidence. "The funny thing, when we did the deal with Lance we were unaware that he was planning to return to competitive cycling," Charlie Moore, a managing director of Lehman Brothers Merchant Banking told WSJ. "It's serendipitous."

"It's great to have that kind of intelligent money, really knowledgeable money to be part of the company," SRAM president Stan Day told Cyclingnews. "It's a small piece of the total investment but it is a meaningful piece to be sure. We are excited that Lance is interested in riding are components and investing in our components, and that is a great combination."

"We certainly weren't the first in the industry to hear about it, but it came onto our plate three weeks ago," said Day. "We were as surprised as the whole industry but also pleased. Lance brings great credibility and great draw to the industry and it is good to have him back."

The combination of Lance as a technical advisor, investor and now sponsored rider is quite a coup for SRAM in terms of battling for a share of the market with Armstrong's former component maker Shimano. Armstrong had been with the Japanese company for so long that he still rode their components at Wednesday night's Cross Vegas race at Interbike.

"We couldn't switch his bike out and have him go into a race right away!" Day laughed. "But he's ridden our product a lot over the last several months and he is comfortable with it. He likes the weight, stiffness and the use of carbon. It will be interesting to work him closer and get his ideas. We will incorporate that with our other athletes' feedback."

Day was present at the press conference where Armstrong gave details about his comeback and his opinions on doping in cycling and sport in general. "I agree with him," said Day. "We have rules. Let's test for it and if somebody gets caught, kick him out and get on the with the sport. Quit whining about it! We are all big grown men at this point and if somebody breaks the rules, get out and keep playing the game."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:28 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 131 thanks
Received: 392 thanks
Bike(s): K2 Zed 4.0
Favorite Trails: San Juan, Caleveras, Nobel
Lance switched to SRAM from Shimano because SRAM is an American compmany and Shimano is not. I have been trying to buy American as well (BTW I have an extra SRAM X7 Rear Long Cage Derailler for sale/trade, brand new). So the moral of the story is we/you should be buying American anyway and Lance is leading as usual. Nothing against Shimano, it is just a means to boost our zacomedy. Something like that...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:13 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9422 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
if i have to buy sram to buy amurican, fuck it. i hear campy's nice too...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:30 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 168 thanks
Received: 306 thanks
Bike(s): Gary Fisher Tassajara
SRAM is Astana's sponsor. Since Lance will be riding for Astana, it makes sense that he ride SRAM.

The following user would like to thank OffRoadie for his or her post:
katonk
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:24 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

whats wrong with sram?

Ld00d wrote:
if i have to buy sram to buy amurican, fuck it. i hear campy's nice too...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:11 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9422 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
i hate the way sram shifts. almost everyone disagrees with with me though...

also, i heart my low normal xt. i like that my shifters do the same thing on both sides (i.e. fingers drop down, thumbs push up).

The following user would like to thank Ld00d for his or her post:
ThirstyLurker
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:28 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

ahh, i see/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:05 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 6 thanks
Received: 123 thanks
Bike(s): 07'Enduro,09'Blk Mrkt,09'Demo
Favorite Trails: LPQ,Bonita,Meadowsland
Ld00d wrote:
i hate the way sram shifts. almost everyone disagrees with with me though...

also, i heart my low normal xt. i like that my shifters do the same thing on both sides (i.e. fingers drop down, thumbs push up).

You got another one to disagree with you !!!!