It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tire Review Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:27 pm 
Fail242
Fail242

Given: 494 thanks
Received: 564 thanks
Bike(s): None :(
Favorite Trails: LPQ, SW, Otay, TriCanyons!
I am rocking 2.35 nevegal stick-e up front and a 2.1 nevegal DTC in the rear.

Seems to work pretty well.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:23 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
wirk242 wrote:

Got them sitting in the garage right now, spent half an hour getting the front one on the rim only to find out I put a hole in the tube during the process :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:22 pm 
Fail242
Fail242

Given: 494 thanks
Received: 564 thanks
Bike(s): None :(
Favorite Trails: LPQ, SW, Otay, TriCanyons!
Los wrote:
wirk242 wrote:

Got them sitting in the garage right now, spent half an hour getting the front one on the rim only to find out I put a hole in the tube during the process :lol:

I did the same thing 4 times with my old tires.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:34 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 10 thanks
Received: 75 thanks
Bike(s): Trek Fuel EX9
Favorite Trails: Trying to find a new one
Running Kenda nevegal 2.35 on front and WTB Mutano Raptor on Rear. Love how the Kenda stays hooked up in the corner and the Mutano is glued to the ground during climbs.

The following user would like to thank Berrybunch09 for his or her post:
Kimba
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:57 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 2 thanks
Bike(s): 07 stumpy HT
Favorite Trails: just moved here
I have been using this site to help figure out what tires will work on my HT. Shiggy (from mtbr) does from what I can a very good job. He helped me a lot in understanding what to look for on his charts for tires sizing.
http://mtbtires.com/site2/

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:39 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 407 thanks
Received: 610 thanks
Favorite Trails: 11111
worrptangl wrote:
I have been using this site to help figure out what tires will work on my HT. Shiggy (from mtbr) does from what I can a very good job. He helped me a lot in understanding what to look for on his charts for tires sizing.
http://mtbtires.com/site2/

Andy

On an HT i'd go for the biggest tires you can fit on it to cut down on pinch flats and spine compaction

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:11 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 2 thanks
Bike(s): 07 stumpy HT
Favorite Trails: just moved here
The rims I currently have are 17mm XC rims so I have to watch the size a bit. I most likely will be picking up a set up Nevegals, but I had maxxis tires on my old bike growing up and never had a problem with them. I just need to get my bike here and throw some kendas on it. I just feel its best to start with what the majority reccomends. Then fine tune from there.

Andy

but that site is a great resource for matching sizing between brands.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:58 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5022 thanks
Received: 5056 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
I have changed my tire set up recently, and even though it was not what I had planned has worked out well. I got a Conti Mountain King 2. 4 for the front from Performance. Turns out this tire casing had a wobble, so bad that it messed with my head when riding. So I moved it to the back tire and got a Nevegal 2.35 for the front. Now I am at tire peace. The Conti, even though its obviously defective, works well and hooks up in nasty conditions, like the creek crossing at Unabomber aka Green Shed at Calavaras, and your basic steep climb stuff. It has oddly spaced diagonal wedges everywhere which seem to grab whatever your riding on even when your rocking the frame hard. The Nevegal is a perfect front tire for me. I like its handling and predictability in turns and loose conditions.

This thread is a great resource because tires are the biggest performance changers given the same frame, suspension, ect.

-Big Clyde

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:27 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 223 thanks
Received: 848 thanks
Bike(s): IH 6.6 & Sunday,Giant XTC
Favorite Trails: Any ST with nice flow.
Switched back to non-UST tires for normal trail riding as I have cut sidewalls on UST tires so the weight penalty is not worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:24 pm 
Sticker Shock
Sticker Shock

Given: 1635 thanks
Received: 2676 thanks
Bike(s): 5010
Favorite Trails: Unpaved
I'm running 2.50 Nevegal Stick-e front and rear, and love them. :bang:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:23 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 108 thanks
Received: 215 thanks
Bike(s): Kona Coiler De-Lux
Favorite Trails: Single track down hill.
Maxxis Minion 2.35 Front and Maxxis Cross Block 2.1 Rear.

Here is the kicker I switched out from nearly new Kenda Nevegal DTCs (same size front and rear). The thing is the Kendas seemed to always sound like they were going flat as I was bouncing off and over stuff and as a result there was never enough confidence in them to try and push their capabilities. That's what I get for listening the bike store guys speal about how everybody is buying these tires, blah, yadda, blah...

Before going over to the Kendas the bike was hooped up with WTB moto-somethings 2.1 front and rear which worked pretty good no complaints, after going on five years of rolling they did start to finally give up.

That said the Maxxis set up rocks, the Minion goes where it's pointed, works better on harder packed stuff than I could have ever imagined. Even though the Cross Block as it's less aggressive looking has not left me wanting for traction on climbs and tracks perfectly down the rockeist, sandiest, dustiest trails and burms I've thrown under it.

Now being able to compare an aggressive rear to a less aggressive rear my preference is for the less aggressive as it feels as though it puts more tire in contact when it's needed rather searching through high nobbies first to gain bite.

The following user would like to thank Throttlepimp for his or her post:
Canaan
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:09 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1973 thanks
Received: 1352 thanks
Bike(s): Mojo HD140, Niner One
Favorite Trails: Sierra High Route
A small non UST roundup

Kenda SB8's......roll sooo nice and are really light, but sidewalls are horribly thin and good luck braking without turning into a skidiot.....would not want to be in the boonies with those sidewalls.

Kenda Nevegals......nothing positive to say about this tire at all.....slow rolling, HEAVY, and does not corner that great, and DTC's wear out way too fast. 250 miles max. I cringe when I see this tire on other peoples bikes.....ugh!!!

Maxxis Crossmark.......2.1 or 2.25 REAR tire......not too heavy, rolls well, hooks up well, last 2X as long as Nevegals > 600 miles per tire....on the REAR!! Worth the extra weight over the SB8 for durabiliity in the sidewall and braking and climbing traction. Fewer flats than Nevegals.

Maxxis Larsen TT 2.35...... roll fine, used to run this in the front for a sub 600 gram bigger casing tire, but they just are too sketchy in the corners, and unpleasant ride in the rough stuff.

WTB Mutano Raptor RACE 2.4......2.4?!....2.2 maybe, but what a great front tire for those of us that want the tire that rolls great, 590 grams (light), and corners great, and feels great in the rough stuff. I use 25 psi on average without pinch flats (tubed).....plush tire that can corner and roll fast.

Mountain King 2.2......light, but knobs spaced too far apart to roll well, so what good does it do to be lighter than most??? Confusing tire, really doesnt handle that well either.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:16 pm 
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE

Given: 2661 thanks
Received: 3679 thanks
Bike(s): Nomad mk2, Giant Glory
Favorite Trails: the ones that go down, duh!
katonk wrote:
The One True Tire for general Trail/AM use is in fact the Specialized Eskar 2Bliss. You can go with the Control, or the lighter and more spendy S-Works version. Both are acceptable as long as you run them on a UST rim with 2 scoops of Stan's.

i STRONGLY disagree, I ran the S-works Eskar 2.3 front and back, and the traction absolutely stinks (IMO). threw em in the closet and tried to forget about em.
then again, i normally ride a bike with Intense DH 2.5 front and Intense 909 2.5 rear...so that may have something to do with it...the Intense tires are like tank treads...in all aspects; heavy, stiff, loud but they never slip :thumbsup:

as a matter of fact, thanks for reminding me... I now have two lightly used S-works Eskar 2.3 tires for sale....$35.00 buckaroos.... :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:32 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 1 thanks
Received: 1 thanks
Bike(s): Special Stumpy
Favorite Trails: Anything Good
for about a year i have been running the same combo a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 up in the front and a WTB wolverine 2.2 in the rear. i like it a lot runs really well the only problem is that the wolverine is made of a really soft compound so it wears out really quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:54 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 518 thanks
Received: 1358 thanks
Bike(s): 6 of 'em
Favorite Trails: I don't ride dirt
HUACE wrote:
for about a year i have been running the same combo a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 up in the front and a WTB wolverine 2.2 in the rear. i like it a lot runs really well the only problem is that the wolverine is made of a really soft compound so it wears out really quickly.

It wears out quicker than the Nevegal?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next