It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tire Review Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:27 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 1 thanks
Received: 1 thanks
Bike(s): Special Stumpy
Favorite Trails: Anything Good
It wears out quicker than the Nevegal?[/quote]

yeah it wears out pretty quick its probably because im running it in the back but i find it to be an awesome rear tire.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:28 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 2 thanks
Received: 56 thanks
Bike(s): NOMAD 2
Favorite Trails: MT. WILSON - ROCKY PEAK
2.4 continental mountain king super sonics ( xc rides )
2.4 maxxis ardents 60a for socal ( dh rides ) 20 psi front - 25 rear to lower the middle knobs a littlebit
2.35 nevegals wire bead ( for jumping )

next tires should be:
2.35 maxxis dhf 3c front
2.35 high rollers 3c rear
for my dh / jumping tires

2.35 nevegals wirebead used less than 8 times should be for sale $20 each

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:10 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 6 thanks
Bike(s): Turner DHR,Bottlerocket,blkmkt
Favorite Trails: at&t, teds, telonix, noble
For Downhill I run 2.5" Maxxis Minion DHFs front and rear in 3C compound 2ply 30-35psi

On my Slopestyle bike I either run the same as on my DH bike or Kenda Small Block Eights 2.35"

On my Dirtjumper I run Kenda Krads, crappy on the moon dust but good on tacky dirt and at the skatepark 50psi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:54 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5010 thanks
Received: 5044 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
Update: 2.35 Nevegal and WTB Mutano 2.4 on back - nice set up.

The Nevegals are slow and heavy but I still like the control they give as a front tire especially in sketchy powder and ruts, and the Mutanos are a harder compound tire so they bite well without squish and wear better, plus they are not as heavy which helps with acceleration as a drive tire.

-Big Clyde

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:17 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 235 thanks
Received: 457 thanks
Favorite Trails: .
Bike came with 2.1 Nev stik-e on front, 2.1 Nev DTC on back

Discovered the propensity for Nev's to wash out without warning, repeatedly, and ditched the Nev on front. Went to a Hutch Spider air lite up front, way less total traction but always started to slide predictably without just letting go like the nev. Wore that out and wore out the DTC on back.

Tried a Nev 2.3 DTC on front at lower pressure, washed out again. Moved it to the back and loved it - unbelievable traction climbing and braking, but still slow roller. Replaced that with a 2.4 Rubber Queen for the front, and OMG it's huge.

Decided that slow ass 2.3 Nev in back with big ass RQ up front was making my slow fat ass even slower, so switched to a 2.4 Mountain King up front. Liked it pretty well, but then one day decided I wanted to give the RQ another shot, so moved the 2.4 MK to the back, and put the 2.4 RQ up front. Again really loved this setup, but decided just yesterday that the 2.4 RQ was too huge and I'm too slow so ordered a 2.2 Trail King (renamed rubber queen) for the front (which is a bit bigger than a 2.3 Nev) and will keep the 2.4 MK on the back (which is a bit smaller than a 2.3 Nev)

I also bought a 2.2 Conti MK at one point, but immediately removed it seeing how small it is (like a low profile 2.0)

Really like the black chili conti tires, roll well, grip well, seem to last pretty long. The 2.4 RQ is like adding extra suspension because it has such high volume but for a regular tire on a trail bike with my weeny riding style it's overkill and heavy at 850 grams.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:24 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 88 thanks
Received: 327 thanks
Bike(s): Yelli Screamy - Demo 8
Favorite Trails: anything with dirt
craptasticyler wrote:
Bike came with 2.1 Nev stik-e on front, 2.1 Nev DTC on back

Discovered the propensity for Nev's to wash out without warning, repeatedly, and ditched the Nev on front. Went to a Hutch Spider air lite up front, way less total traction but always started to slide predictably without just letting go like the nev. Wore that out and wore out the DTC on back.

Tried a Nev 2.3 DTC on front at lower pressure, washed out again. Moved it to the back and loved it - unbelievable traction climbing and braking, but still slow roller. Replaced that with a 2.4 Rubber Queen for the front, and OMG it's huge.

Decided that slow ass 2.3 Nev in back with big ass RQ up front was making my slow fat ass even slower, so switched to a 2.4 Mountain King up front. Liked it pretty well, but then one day decided I wanted to give the RQ another shot, so moved the 2.4 MK to the back, and put the 2.4 RQ up front. Again really loved this setup, but decided just yesterday that the 2.4 RQ was too huge and I'm too slow so ordered a 2.2 Trail King (renamed rubber queen) for the front (which is a bit bigger than a 2.3 Nev) and will keep the 2.4 MK on the back (which is a bit smaller than a 2.3 Nev)

I also bought a 2.2 Conti MK at one point, but immediately removed it seeing how small it is (like a low profile 2.0)

Really like the black chili conti tires, roll well, grip well, seem to last pretty long. The 2.4 RQ is like adding extra suspension because it has such high volume but for a regular tire on a trail bike with my weeny riding style it's overkill and heavy at 850 grams.

wait A+B=C what??? just messing, everyone has gone thru a bunch of tires trying to find that perfect combo. at least for that month.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:49 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 235 thanks
Received: 457 thanks
Favorite Trails: .
mrgiant wrote:
wait A+B=C what??? just messing, everyone has gone thru a bunch of tires trying to find that perfect combo. at least for that month.

lol yeah - lets clean that up a little:

Nevegal - great traction, handling. Slow rolling. Most people love them, but a fairly decent number of people report a propensity to wash out / let go without any warning, could just be riding style. (google nevegal washout)

Hutch Spider air light - OK all arounder, rolls well, really light, not that great traction

Conti Mt King - good all arounder, rolls well, love the black chili. DO NOT get the 2.2 it's TINY

Conit Rubber Queen / Trail King - great tire, awesome traction, love the black chili. 2.4 is really like a 2.5, super high volume. Rolls well but heavy at 850g's. Will try the 2.2 soon which is like a 2.3 @ 650 grams

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:35 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1419 thanks
Received: 1474 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 951, SC Roadster
Favorite Trails: The ones with dirt on them!
After seeing Cam Zink win the Red Bull, I decided to go with Geax Neuron 2.5 60d TNT tires. Both front and rear.

"TNT" means; "Tube, no Tube". (Tubes for now and no tubes later).

After breaking my tire levers to install it; (the beads seat and fit very well).
So far....I'm very happy with them!

With the rounded profile, they hook up when my Maxxis Minions broke loose.
They were pretty much designed for SoCal riding... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Check out this review: http://azfreeride.com/component/content ... ire-review

Attachments:
zink.jpg
zink.jpg [ 129.63 KiB | Viewed 17532 times ]

The following user would like to thank Mudd for his or her post:
Canaan
 Post subject: tire suggestion
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:12 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 265 thanks
Received: 298 thanks
Bike(s): Vitamin C & SixFifty 6500+
Favorite Trails: Cowles(big rock)
well i i think im about ready to make a switch on these tires that came on my hardtail trek. i want something that has more grip than the bontrager ones that came on the bike. so i figured id ask the much more experienced on suggestions for tires and ill also be probably making the switch to tubeless tires with that stans no tubes kit. so heres whats on the bike now. shes nice and dirty after todays ride at cowles

thanks in advance guys

Post subject: Re: tire suggestion
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:39 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23199 thanks
Received: 17225 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Look at the tire review thread at the top of this Garage forum. Lots of opinions there. My non-scientific guess is that probably 50% on here would tell you Kenda Nevegal, 30% Maxxis, and 20% other. On tubeless, probably 60% yes, 40% no. For your bike and riding, I think you'd be happy with the results of the majority opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:44 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 265 thanks
Received: 298 thanks
Bike(s): Vitamin C & SixFifty 6500+
Favorite Trails: Cowles(big rock)
thanks man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:39 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 4 thanks
Received: 24 thanks
Bike(s): 2009 Trek EX8
Favorite Trails: Calavera & La Costa
a couple months ago I replaced my Bontrager stock tires on my Trek EX8 with a Maxxis Ignitor in front and a Maxxis Ardent in the rear...working out fan-f-ing-tastic so far...the grip and cornering is incredible, especially after using those Bontragers for a season (they sucked, I knew it from the get go, but I hated to waste new tires)... I run them a little under 40 lbs with tubes... not too sold on the tubeless craze...yet...That's my 2 cents...you can have change back if you like...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:01 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 91 thanks
Received: 564 thanks
Bike(s): Mojo HD/Pivot Mach 6/Enduro 29
Favorite Trails: Rocky and Nasty
I recently went through a lot of tires trying to find a good combo. Here are my experiences.

Schwalbe Hans Dampf- Far and away the best tire I tried. Great traction and predictable at the break away point.

Schwalbe Nobby Nic- Decent tire with a lot of different casing option. There is a dead zone (ie no traction) around 20 degrees of lean that was very spooky. Rode it on the rear for a while with no complaints.

Continental Mountain King X- Did not work up front at all. Large volume with light weight, but drifts in the corners.

Schwalbe Fat Albert- Good traction in the front, but not as good as the Hans Dampf. Many more casing/weight options available compared to the Hans Dampf.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:04 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2184 thanks
Received: 1791 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt
Salespunk wrote:
Schwalbe Hans Dampf- Far and away the best tire I tried. Great traction and predictable at the break away point.

Running a pair of the Hans Dampfs right now as well. I was itching to shed some weight from Nevegals, and the HD's feel pretty nice. I feel like they are a tiny bit less predictable in the corners, but may hook up better overall. Also climbing has much better traction.

Unfortunately, mine came in at 880 and 900 grams each - way more than the advertised "750 grams" and only a 100g or so less than the Nevs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:42 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 836 thanks
Received: 362 thanks
Bike(s): Yeti 575
Favorite Trails: singletrack
Salespunk wrote:
I recently went through a lot of tires trying to find a good combo. Here are my experiences.

Schwalbe Fat Albert- Good traction in the front, but not as good as the Hans Dampf. Many more casing/weight options available compared to the Hans Dampf.

Ever thought about running a Hans Dampf in the front and Fat Albert in the back?

Robo wrote:
Unfortunately, mine came in at 880 and 900 grams each - way more than the advertised "750 grams" and only a 100g or so less than the Nevs.

Seems like Schwalbe make so many different versions, it would be easy for them to get their weights mixed up.

Good info from both of you. Thanks for the feedback.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next