It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tire Review Thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:41 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 223 thanks
Received: 848 thanks
Bike(s): IH 6.6 & Sunday,Giant XTC
Favorite Trails: Any ST with nice flow.
For racing I think the new Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 EVO UST has been getting good reviews too.

Here a review of tires, from watts,traction,cornering stability etc.

Tire Test Results

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:36 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7335 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
Ld00d wrote:
I went to Nevegal 2.35 on my SS when it was rigid to get a little more squish up front. I liked it so much I put one on the FS geared bike.

I hate the f*cking Eagles...I mean, nevegals.

Tried them up at whistler once and couldn't hold a line anywhere. Maybe they're better in dry conditions than wet even with the stick-e compound.

I'm a die hard Maxxis minion fan. On the DH bike I like a 2.5 minion supertacky up front and 2.5 60duro minion in the rear. On the heckler I have dual 2.35 supertacky minions.

I got panaracer fire xc ust tires for the SS - mainly because they're reasonably cheap and work reasonably well. And I can't go fast enough on it that handling will ever become an issue. I have to say one of my favorite tires of all time is the Panaracer Trailblaster. It was a low profile 2.1 dual compound xc tire. Lasted forever, rolled fast, and had amazing grip in wet (rooty rocky BC slop) and dry conditions.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:11 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 62 thanks
Received: 154 thanks
Favorite Trails: narrow
I ride mainly in LPQ and Tunnels and some mission trails.

:bang: Current: Kenda Nevegals DTC 2.1 F/R with Stan's sealant on Stan's rims. Didn't hear about the delam issue until this thread so I'll keep a look out. (this is by far the best setup I've ran). Great profile, nice round, like a motocross tire. Predictable. The Stickie E compound on the sides are great grip on rocks and roots. they're decent climbers (I don't like climbing either). I haven't had any issues with these. They do what I want them to do.

:( Previously Ran: WTB Weirwolf Race 2.3 F/R with same tubeless set up - it's fine if all you did was climb. Run reverse tread on the rear (it's better). Good for a beginner who's not planning on shoving the bike into a hard turn. These tires have a mind of their own and tend to wander because of the asymmetrical side knobs (not a continuous line the pattern has a "V" type shape). The profile is also squarish, so it's suited for trails with little or no camber (who rides those anyways).

:? First set on my current bike: Maxxis Larsen TT 2.0 F/R with same tubeless set up - These tires are nice rolling, light, great tread for all around. I loved them until the trails started to get loose. Best on hard packed to slightly loose. Ideally for XC racing. Sidewalls started fraying when getting into the gnarly stuff.

The more people I talk to, the more I hear Maxxis has the best rubber and Kendas Nevegals are the best all-purpose. My new ride comes with Maxxis Ardents 2.4 (I think). I hear good things about em and will give report as soon as I get a few rides in.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:24 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 17 thanks
Received: 250 thanks
Bike(s): 08 Trek Fuel EX 9
Favorite Trails: ...
:D Kenda Nevegal 2.35 front/2.1 rear, 1 ride in LPQ, slow on the flats, but damn if they don't bite everywhere. Can't wait to abuse the tires more, not running tubeless yet, but running 30-32psi (i'm a lightweight). I'll post a better review once i get more miles on them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:53 am 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 2 thanks
Bike(s): GT Chucker 2.0
Favorite Trails: Daly Ranch
Running WTB Moto Raptor 2.4s. They aren't the lightest, fastest, or probably any other est out there, but they're just a great all around tire. I haven't hit anything yet where the tires would be my cause of concern. Though the rolling resistance is high, traction and feel remain good. I've never flatted on these and it's not for lack of trying, especially with my ham fisted inputs to the bars and iffy lines I try to take. They cost as much as any of the other tires out there, but are cheaper in the long run because they last for dogs ages. If all you do is ride in a niche, they're probably not for you. If you are one of the countless self described "weekend warriors" (myself included), you might want to look into them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:20 am 
Fail242
Fail242

Given: 494 thanks
Received: 564 thanks
Bike(s): None :(
Favorite Trails: LPQ, SW, Otay, TriCanyons!
OldschoolBMXer wrote:
:? First set on my current bike: Maxxis Larsen TT 2.0 F/R with same tubeless set up - These tires are nice rolling, light, great tread for all around. I loved them until the trails started to get loose. Best on hard packed to slightly loose. Ideally for XC racing. Sidewalls started fraying when getting into the gnarly stuff.

Dude I totally agree with you there! The Larsen TTs nice untill it gets dry and loose. Then they just loose traction.

My current setup is Maxxis HighRoller 2.35 up front in the Super Tacky compound and Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 in the rear in the 60a compound.

Befor the ignitor I had 2.35 Lasen TTs in the rear in the 60a compound. The Ignitors seems to hook up better in loose soil than the Larsens but the Larsens rolled way faster.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:38 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 27 thanks
Received: 265 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Reign X1, Niner AIR 9
Favorite Trails: LC, NC, FOMBA, HP, BHs
29x2.3 Panaracer Rampage's are the bomb... for New England :mrgreen: .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:08 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
[quote="Red Hot Sloth"][On Boo's FS bike, we have the set-up I used to run which is:
2.5 2-Ply Kenda Blue Groove Stick-E up front
2.4 WTB Moto Raptor on the back.

It seems to serve her riding style very well....well, other than when she took that digger onto the sidewalk last weekend, but that was due in most part to the wet soil, steep slope onto a right turn concrete dirt dusted sidewalk. quote]

Ouch Boo!!! So Sloth, I met da Boo last Saturday at the kiosk on top of Denk Mtn. A very nice gal. There was a pretty good size group and we all talked quite a while. Every time I drop onto that sidewalk, I shoot a quick glance at that green transformer there, hoping I won't see any scratches, dents, and (I really hope not) blood smears...!

edit: oh yeah -- tire thread, sorry -- currently 2.35 Nevegal F 25psi, 2.1 SB8R 30psi.

The following user would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:27 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
I have run 2.35 Kenda Small Block 8's front and rear with success in the hard pack and lightly loose trail tread you find in San Diego. However, the front end would get a little loose at times. I probably would have upgraded to a more aggresive front tire when the SMB8's wore out.

Then I got a tubeless wheel set with 2.1 Kenda Nevegals as a gift. I like the Nevies as an all around great tire, but I miss the width of the SMB8's. I have been looking around for UST ready 2.35 tires and can't find too much. For instance, Kenda doesn't make SMB8's in 2.35 and UST. I am looking to try something other than the Nevies that is 2.25-2.35 in width and tubeless ready. Any suggestions?

While doing some research, I found the Specialized Eskar which comes stock on the Enduros. Seems like a good mix of tubeless ready, weight, width and tread. Any Enduro owners out there got any input on the Eskars?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:31 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

I sure do love the UST Kenda 2.35 Nevegals F&R.

The following user would like to thank luna for his or her post:
moondogg
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:34 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

sdmoondogg wrote:
I have run 2.35 Kenda Small Block 8's front and rear with success in the hard pack and lightly loose trail tread you find in San Diego. However, the front end would get a little loose at times. I probably would have upgraded to a more aggresive front tire when the SMB8's wore out.

Then I got a tubeless wheel set with 2.1 Kenda Nevegals as a gift. I like the Nevies as an all around great tire, but I miss the width of the SMB8's. I have been looking around for UST ready 2.35 tires and can't find too much. For instance, Kenda doesn't make SMB8's in 2.35 and UST. I am looking to try something other than the Nevies that is 2.25-2.35 in width and tubeless ready. Any suggestions?

While doing some research, I found the Specialized Eskar which comes stock on the Enduros. Seems like a good mix of tubeless ready, weight, width and tread. Any Enduro owners out there got any input on the Eskars?

I converted my 2.35 Maxxis minion DH tires with the Stan's tubeless kit. I've ridden them only half a dozen times and they seem to do as well as my Nevies. They're on the heavier side though. I just recently read about some other tires that are 100g less in weight and can't think of where I saw it.

I'll post something when I come across it again. Might have been a German made tire.

The following user would like to thank qpcr8tiv for his or her post:
moondogg
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:20 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
sdmoondogg wrote:

?

Yeah, I had the SB8s F & R, and was happy at first, light & fast rolling, but the front washed out in green grass (SCST!), and real loose dirt. So went to Nevegal on the front. Plus I was doing more trail type less XC riding. The Specialized Roll-X Pro tires that came on my bike were actually quite good I think. I would try Spec tires again.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:09 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2184 thanks
Received: 1791 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt
Used to run Maxxis Highroller 2.3 in front, WTB Weirwolf 2.1 rear (backwards), both UST. 1 flat in 5 years without tubes - well worth the extra weight. Found Highroller's sharp edge was not ideal - great when you were at the right angle in a turn, but lean further and it gives quickly without much feedback. Weirwolves had excellent traction in rear going straight, but like other poster said, it wanders in corners.

Now I run Nevegal 2.1 in rear. Grips nicely, slides with good feedback and control. Need a new one every 3 months, though.

Up front I run a Bontrager Big Earl Dry 2.3, which I don't see or hear of anyone else using. It's got a perfect rounded shape, tracks really nicely, and if it is going to give, it tells you, and it's still easily controlled in the drifts. It's bumpy on the road, so it's definitely a dirt-only tire.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:31 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

OldschoolBMXer wrote:
sdmoondogg wrote:
I just recently read about some other tires that are 100g less in weight and can't think of where I saw it.

I'll post something when I come across it again. Might have been a German made tire.

so the brand is Serfas (sounded German anyways).

there's a review on the "Krest" tires vs. the Nevegals (29er tires) http://www.mtnbikeriders.com/2008/11/11 ... mpression/

Looking at the Serfas site. I like the "Swoop" tread and the folding tires are 780 grams vs 880; which my Minions happily comes in at. http://www.serfas.com/product.asp?ProductID=277

I haven't heard much of the brand, I think like anything, get word of mouth and read up reviews. Sounded like the guy on mtbikeriders.com liked them. :thumbsup:

The following user would like to thank qpcr8tiv for his or her post:
moondogg
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:13 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

I put strapping/packing tape around the rim, also in lieu of Velox rim tape for my tubeless application, as my rim calls for rim tape.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next