PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:47 pm 
Darth Monger
Darth Monger

Given: 731 thanks
Received: 641 thanks
Bike(s): Firebird, Stumpy, Glory
Favorite Trails: off limits
DirtTreaders,

I am sick of having to replace broken spokes after every third ride (no kidding!). I want something more beefy. Not double-crown 20ft drop break your spine kinda beefy, but maybe riding ineptly weighing 230 lbs. fully loaded and to-the-shop-every-quarter kinda beefy. So I was looking at th E2200 from DT Swiss but my "L"BS (BlackMountain) is trying to convince me to go with a custom built set. Any thoughts on: a) the E2200 or EX1750 b) EX 5.1d, Shimano XT with double butted silver spokes + brass nipples sort of handbuilt wheels. I was contemplating I9s as well. Not bombproof, but DM proof...

DM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:55 pm 
Bajacabra
Bajacabra

Given: 7412 thanks
Received: 7175 thanks
Bike(s): Turner 5 Spot
Favorite Trails: SART, Thounder Mtn,Sweetwater
I had the same problem for a while until I had my LBS change all the spokes for a beefy ones I think DT Swiss, I asked for the stronger ones and didn't care about the weight since that was my problem also, the fact that it was hadbuild made a huge difference, every time I change rear wheel I have them do the same never got a broken spoke again, BTW my third wheel just got done a couple of weeks ago.
dirtmonger wrote:
DirtTreaders,

I am sick of having to replace broken spokes after every third ride (no kidding!). I want something more beefy. Not double-crown 20ft drop break your spine kinda beefy, but maybe riding ineptly weighing 230 lbs. fully loaded and to-the-shop-every-quarter kinda beefy. So I was looking at th E2200 from DT Swiss but my "L"BS (BlackMountain) is trying to convince me to go with a custom built set. Any thoughts on: a) the E2200 or EX1750 b) EX 5.1d, Shimano XT with double butted silver spokes + brass nipples sort of handbuilt wheels. I was contemplating I9s as well. Not bombproof, but DM proof...

DM

The following user would like to thank bajamtnbkr for his or her post:
dirtmonger
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:32 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11836 thanks
Received: 7008 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
Good idea Baja.
But man....those 5.1's are nice and they don't cost an arm and a leg. Oooh, I9's.
As far as a custom built set...eh, unless your a moneys not a factor kinda guy, i wouldn't necessarily agree. There are plenty of "factory" wheelsets that can do you justice.
I'm a heavy guy and I don't ride the best lines, so what I did was bought myself a very burly factory wheelset. $245. But they are heavy. Some people don't like heavy. I don't mind heavy as long as I'm not pinchflatting or bustin spokes or trueing wheels all the time. I like heavy wheels, they make me work harder. But thats me. If I were to get another wheelset that was a little higher on cost and lighter I would consider looking around for a rim that is at least 28mm wide, deep well, 32 hole. I would make sure the spokes aren't cheapies, and run an average hub. But thats just my take on it.
I noticed you run real high pressure in your tires. You might want to consider lowering it to allow for a little give, but not so low you pinch flat a lot. A wider, deeper rim will allow you to go a bit lower on pressure and keep from pinching. Plus it will give your tires a better profile for traction.
Custom wheels are pimp, but I would spend that money somewhere else where the cost will give you more function.

The following user would like to thank Red Hot Sloth for his or her post:
dirtmonger
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:16 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 658 thanks
Received: 461 thanks
Here's a set of sun rhyno lite XLs with XT disc hubs for $185 at jenson. I've used regular rhyno lites on my hardtail for several years now and I havent had to true them yet. These are XLs which are welded vs pinned at the seams for more strength. Coupled with heavier gauge stainless spokes and you shouldnt have a problem in your weight class.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ ... elset.aspx

The following user would like to thank Pillow Pants for his or her post:
dirtmonger
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:27 pm 
Darth Monger
Darth Monger

Thanks for your input guys. I wanted to get things rolling (literally) and went for EX 5.1d rims and 240s hubs. Let's see. Blk Mtn really doesn't like Industry 9 wheels. I am still tempted, but would go for a shop that actually has some experience with these.

Then the idea of something more unbreakable crossed my mind... how bad of a drag is it to climb up Pinball on a Demo 8 ?

DM

The following user would like to thank dirtmonger for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:15 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11836 thanks
Received: 7008 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
Wise choice Dirt Monger. I can't wait to see 'em.

The following user would like to thank Red Hot Sloth for his or her post:
dirtmonger
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:41 am 
Darth Monger
Darth Monger

Took them out to Tunnels last night: brand new E5.1d, 240s hubs, wheelsmith DB spokes, brass nipples. I had an XTR rear DR added in as well... Wow! Going through tunnels was as if riding on rails. Very smooth. Climbing was easier as well, perhaps due to lower wheel flex, and getting over roots and rocky sections seemed to be a little easier. Bombing down cobbles at night was almost awe inspiring. :bang: If they last w/o spokes breaking for more than for months I'll be a really happy camper. Not the flashy I9 set I eyed, but a more subdued bling.

DM

The following user would like to thank dirtmonger for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:31 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 324 thanks
Received: 334 thanks
Bike(s): Niner RIP 9 / Intense SS
Favorite Trails: any
Congrats on the new wheels. For future reference peeps can check out Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. My bro just got a set of Singletracks laced to XTs for $110. They have some pretty ridiculous deals sometimes.

www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com

The following user would like to thank 02bullit for his or her post:
dirtmonger
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:12 am 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 2 thanks
Bike(s): GT Chucker 2.0
Favorite Trails: Daly Ranch
I got these a few months ago looking for the same qualities; basicly, ride and forget without having to worry about anything. And at $140, you can't beat the price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DEORE-XT-WHEELSET-WITH-SUN-DOUBLE-TRACK-RIMS_W0QQitemZ140277309111QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item140277309111&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318