All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:46 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23228 thanks
Received: 17283 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Finally got around to rebuilding my KS dropper post. Kinda had to, after riding a new bike that surprised me by reminding me how a dropper is supposed to feel. I had bought a new cartridge online ($75 from Universal Cycles), intending to have Fluid Focus do the labor (a reasonable $75), but then decided to do it myself just cause I enjoy it, and had the opportunity today. It turned out to be both easier and harder than expected. The initial disassembly etc. was surprisingly easy, but then I had to get the seat post head off and transfer it to the new cartridge (which is the actual entire sliding post, not something inside it). That was a bitch! KS didn’t want it coming loose, so it was super tight and thread locked. Couldn’t budge it with vise, big screwdriver as lever, hammer, solvents, heat (that usually works)...gave up for a while. Finally verrry carefully used a hacksaw to cut two slots into the old cartridge just down to the threads, and then it came out real easy. All together now, returns up quickly and stays up like it should. Felt odd at first not having an initial sag or having to grab the seat with my thighs to help it up, I’d gotten so used to it. Is there a moral to this story? I dunno...maintenance is good, just do it.

The following 7 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
avidtest, Big Clyde, Canaan, Dirtrider, Inconceivable, Kimba, Ld00d