Post subject: Shadow Plus maintenance
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:51 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 39 thanks
Received: 1499 thanks
Bike(s): TallBoy LT, Woodie, MB-2
Favorite Trails: Calavera, 5 min from house
Not sure how many of you have done any maintenance on your Shadow Plus derailleurs, but it can make a huge difference.

I was doing a regular cleaning and chain lube and noticed that when shifting up the cassette there was a sound similar to bad/loose wheel bearings (the old style loose ball type), however when I shifted down the cassette the sound would go away. I had been noticing this while riding, but it would come and go, so I never quite pinned down what it was.

Come to last night, I decided to pull the cover off the magic clutch assembly. I didn't notice anything bad, but I could tell that's where the noise was coming from. It looked a bit dirty, so I foolishly decided to hose it down with brake cleaner... overall it made the functionality a little better, but instantly discolored the plastic on the lever.

Further inspection and a little research shows that you're supposed to periodically clean and lube the clutch mechanism. Shimano says to use Nexus Hub grease, which of course I don't have on hand. My choices were Park grease or Mobil 1 wheel bearing grease. I chose the Park grease, mainly due to it being in a tube vs a tub, so I as able to get better moderation.

With it all put together everything sounds and feels much better. Haven't ridden it yet, but on the stand I think it will work as good as new.

So if you're Shadow plus is making weird noise or not, it might be worth taking a look at doing a service. There are some videos and documentation on the line, as well as factory service procedures.

If you're not a DIYer, let me know and I'm sure we can make a deal. Depending on bike age and usage it might be a good time do do a cable replacement, pulley replacement, thorough chain clean or replacement.

The following 2 users would like to thank 325racer for his or her post:
Dirtrider, MiLo