All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:12 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
I am getting ready to do a re-build on my 2004 Specialized Enduro Frame. The frame was new on warranty a year and half ago. At that time I added a 2007 Fox TALAS RLC fork. The rear shock was PUSHED last June. So I am happy with the frame and fork and am getting 5.5" of travel front and rear. Problem is most of the components are from the original 2003 Enduro and really showing their age. I want the bike to be a tough all-mountain rig that can handle tough lines and abuse. I have already bought front and rear XT deraileurs. I am looking at upgrading the following and would like some suggestions, opinions and leads on good deals:

Crankset:
I really like the SLX 22/36/Bash setup. Also can get a good deal on an XT triple ring.

Disc Brake:
Shimano XT, Avid Elixir R or Magura Louise

Shifters:
Shimano XT. I have heard great things about the sram shifters. Are they compatible with XT deraileurs? I don't see why not. Also thinking about those dual control XT brake/shifters that evdog is selling. Anyone had experience with those before?

Wheelset:
I have a 6 month old set of Mavic UST rims on XT hubs. However, they are more cross country orientated and won't stand up to long term abuse. I am looking for a sturdy all-mountain UST wheelset that can take some abuse. Suggestions???

Thanks for the help. Cheers. :cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:32 am 
Resident Hucker
Resident Hucker

Given: 50 thanks
Received: 1140 thanks
Bike(s): Reign X1
Favorite Trails: ...
If your going to be bashing, go with the dual chainring. It's like insurance. Once you have that bash guard, you'll go bigger than before knowing that you don't have to worry about bending a 3rd ring which you really don't need anyway. Trust me.

On the dual actions shifters/levers... I had those on my old bike, and they're actually pretty cool. Once you get used to them (which takes only about 2 hours of riding with them to be smooth) you'll be able to downshift while you're braking and such. I know some people hate then, but they were on my first MTB that I bought last year, and I didn't know any different. I grew to love them honestly and probably would have them on the Giant, but I don't want to throw away Hayes levers and X.7 pods you know?

And the cheapie WTB Dual Duty wheels that are on my bike have seen plenty of abuse, and they're still going. Ask Sasquatch or DirtMonger. I'm just not sure they make a tubeless wheel... I think maybe but don't quote me on it.

Good luck.

The following user would like to thank QuietStorm for his or her post:
moondogg
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:53 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

QuietStorm wrote:
If your going to be bashing, go with the dual chainring. It's like insurance. Once you have that bash guard, you'll go bigger than before knowing that you don't have to worry about bending a 3rd ring which you really don't need anyway. Trust me.

Thanks for the input. I have already gone to a bashguard after grinding the old 3rd ring to a nub and getting a couple of gashes on the back of the leg. I liked the idea of a 22/36/Bash on the SLX rather than 22/32/Bash to get more gear ratios and a little more high end speed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:05 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 139 thanks
Received: 132 thanks
Bike(s): Nomad
Favorite Trails: Hog's Heaven, Sedona
Moon,

I have two friends that have gone with the XT brakes in the last 3 months and they both absolutley love them. I think they both have the 7 inch front rotor and 6 inch in the back.

I just got an XT triple ring crankset for a screaming price directly from North of the Boarder bikes in Mira Mesa. Of course I am lovin' the crankset, but it was a great price and service for installation. The mechanic, Mike there is awesome and my bike has never ridden better - not even when I bought it from the gay ass Trek store in Kearny Mesa....

Cheers to your re-build.

Joe
:cheers:

The following user would like to thank FatPossum for his or her post:
moondogg
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:49 pm 
Resident Hucker
Resident Hucker

Given: 50 thanks
Received: 1140 thanks
Bike(s): Reign X1
Favorite Trails: ...
moondogg wrote:
I have already gone to a bashguard after grinding the old 3rd ring to a nub and getting a couple of gashes on the back of the leg. I liked the idea of a 22/36/Bash on the SLX rather than 22/32/Bash to get more gear ratios and a little more high end speed.

You will. I'm running the 22/36/bash and I love it. There really is no need for the third ring, if you think about it, on a bike that you'd consider putting a bash guard on. And if you need to be going faster on that bike than being in 36/11 will allow you to go, then you need to find something steeper to be riding! I love the dual rings in the front. I'll never go back to a 22/32/44 unless it's for an XC bike, and who knows when I'll ever own one of those again. Well, aside from my starter bike that just sits in the garage now... but it's got a couple bend teeth on the big ring from a certain log at the top of Tunnels. :ninja:

The following user would like to thank QuietStorm for his or her post:
moondogg
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:02 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11836 thanks
Received: 7008 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
As far as the rims go, have you checked out the Mavic 823's? They are UST and definatly AM capable.

If you go the route of the SLX line with your crankset, I look forward to a review, I haven't seen any on the trails yet, and that gear combo sounds like "the right stuff" for what your looking to do, I would be interested in getting some firsthand feedback on those as far as stiffness goes.

The following user would like to thank Red Hot Sloth for his or her post:
moondogg
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:50 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7335 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
Don't you have a shiny new XTR crankset you could throw on?

The following user would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
moondogg
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:09 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

evdog wrote:
Don't you have a shiny new XTR crankset you could throw on?

In fact I do. However, I don't need that much performance from a crankset. I have a friend interested in a trade and he can get some really good stuff for cheap. I am looking to parlay it into a wheelset or cranks and brakes.

What are you doing with the Saint crankset?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:23 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Red Hot Sloth wrote:
As far as the rims go, have you checked out the Mavic 823's? They are UST and definatly AM capable.

If you go the route of the SLX line with your crankset, I look forward to a review, I haven't seen any on the trails yet, and that gear combo sounds like "the right stuff" for what your looking to do, I would be interested in getting some firsthand feedback on those as far as stiffness goes.

I have not checked out the 823's. I have 819's on XT M756 hubs and the spokes tend to come loose. XC rim not meant for a 250lb rider who is tough on equipment. I am going to check out an XT wheelset soon that is said to be "bomber". We'll see.....

As for the crankset, I am pretty sure I am going with the SLX. I can get them at a good price (I hope) and I like the combo of weight, stiffness, gearing and bash. I have been rocking a nearly 6 year old Specialized set, so anything will be an improvement.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:28 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

FatPossum wrote:
I have two friends that have gone with the XT brakes in the last 3 months and they both absolutley love them. I think they both have the 7 inch front rotor and 6 inch in the back.

I just got an XT triple ring crankset for a screaming price directly from North of the Boarder bikes in Mira Mesa. Of course I am lovin' the crankset, but it was a great price and service for installation. The mechanic, Mike there is awesome and my bike has never ridden better - not even when I bought it from the gay ass Trek store in Kearny Mesa....

Thanks for the feedback on the Shimano brakes, that is what I like to hear. Everything I buy from a shop will be from Doug and Mike down at NOB and Mike will be doing the once over after the build is complete.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:09 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7335 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
moondogg wrote:
evdog wrote:
What are you doing with the Saint crankset?

Still undecided. They're too nice to put on the ghetto M1 I bought last year. The dream was to build a new DH bike but I don't see that happening very soon. We'll see.

Speaking of bomber rims, the best bet would be the Mavic 729s. I've never bent or dented one of those rims. They're a bit heavier but well worth the fact that you will never have to worry about them...ever

The following user would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
moondogg